Survivalist Forum banner

Thanksgiving menus and recipes

4K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  InfScout 
#1 ·
What will ya'all be having on the table this year?
Have any great recipes to share?

The menu at our house:
Hummus and pimento cheese, vegetables on the side
Relish plate with olives, peppers, 3 kinds of pickles and okra
Tabbouleh
Roast whole turkey with giblet gravy (I do mine in a bag)
Loaded garlic mashed potatoes
Broccoli, rice and cheese casserole
Cranberry sauce
Buttermilk dinner rolls
Cheesecake
Sweet Potato pie

#47 ·
I'm going to a friend's... I don't know what we'll be having other than they bought some kind of fake chicken product to make something for me. This is why I never go to peoples' houses for Thanksgiving. They never know what to do with the vegetarian and the whole thing ends up being awkward. I would rather spend the day pack training with the donkeys, to be honest.

#48 ·
Turkey, stuffed somewhat like the recipe from this blog but amended thusly:

Double up on the potatoes, avoid the Bell's, or other 'poultry seasoning' seasoning, and use a blend of allspice, cinnemon, and cloves (ground), and perhaps a pinch of nutmeg.

Also, do not fry the pork as directed, boil it, the onions, and spices down in some water, much the same as you would to render lard. When the water is boiled off, add the mashed potatoes.

If you want to make Toutierres, keep the amount of potatoes the same as the original recipe.

#52 ·
I offered to bring something, she said no. It's a friend who loves to cook so I don't think anyone is bringing any food, she's doing it all, she'd see us bringing something as an insult. I'm taking peanut butter treats for her dogs, though. :thumb:

I don't know about the fake chicken stuff either but she proudly brought it out of the freezer and showed it to me the last time I was there so I didn't know what to say. I would be happy with whatever sides she's having but people think there's a big ol' empty spot on your plate and it's a tragedy if you're not having turkey, lol.

#53 ·
I don't know about the fake chicken stuff either but she proudly brought it out of the freezer and showed it to me the last time I was there so I didn't know what to say. I would be happy with whatever sides she's having but people think there's a big ol' empty spot on your plate and it's a tragedy if you're not having turkey, lol.
I guess you'll have to at least pick at the chickeny-stuff then to be polite and keep her happy. I agree that meat or no meat makes little difference at most Thanksgiving spreads, which usually have a table groaning under veggie dishes in addition to the turkey or whatever. I don't happen to be feeding a vegetarian this year, but if I were, I'd just make the wild rice and chestnut stuffing as a side in a separate casserole instead of stuffing the birds with it, and there'd be plenty of good healthy vegetarian eating on the table to fill his/her plate, just skip the duck itself. If I thought the protein was a little short in the rest of the menu, I'd pitch a little lentils or chickpeas or peanuts or pumpkin/sunflower seeds into one of the veggie dishes, but most years that wouldn't be necessary.

#55 ·
I'm smoking turkeys again this year. I'll do two for us.

My wife's amazing mashed potatoes, green beans, we always have raw foods like carrots and celery, stuffing, the usual.

Not to brag, but the turkey is the star. I guess that explains why I'm doing six for other people... :rolleyes:

Haven't decided on dessert yet.

#56 ·
Turkey
Stuffing
Rolls
Gravy
Roasted vegetables (brussel sprouts, potatoes, etc.)
Pumpkin Pie
Banana Pudding
Mac and cheese (already made. We smoked it a couple of weeks ago)
Deviled eggs

I think there is something else. That's all I can think of. It's only going to be my SO and I. I'll see my mother the day after and bring her a plate+. Most things are homemade. I'm still working on my roll recipe :-( Mine seems to come out too dense.

#59 ·
This year is pretty lean around here. If we do anything it will be some chicken breasts make to look like turkeys. Some canned corn and bisquick biscuits. Normally it would be a full turkey going in the fryer. If anyone has never tried a fried turkey, please do so! It's amazingly yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#62 ·
Thanksgiving Breakfasting??

We just set the bar a notch higher for French Toasty Breakfast fare:

Go to World Market, or an Italian Store. Look for Red Metallic Wrapped "La Torinese" Panettone, of Orange and Cranberry. (There is also a Dark Chocolate and Pear version, in Green Metallic Wrap) Slice about 3/4 inch rounds. Cinnamon, Vanilla, Meyer Lemon Zest, Eggs, Half&Half. Plan on each "Slice" taking nearly Three Eggs. Pan Brown, and remove to plate in Microwave after getting the level of Browning in the pan. Buzz till the center is no longer jellified. Serve Hot with Butter, and Maple Syrple!

Alternately, look up a French Toast bake, with Cream Cheese and using the Panettone, and egg custard.

Killer!

#63 ·
Breakfast LOL If hubby wants breakfast he can take a jar of PB and a spoon to his man cave. He's good help in the kitchen if/when he knows exactly what is going on or I have time to explain it to him. Otherwise he knows to make him self scarce until I ring the dinner bell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.