Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 06:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 07:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 07:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 06:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 08:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 09:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 09:56 PM

Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,824 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Even at 9,500 feet, the elevation of my mtn place, I have never seen permafrost. But there is deep snow up there from Nov. to May even June. I have been up there in late April when there is 12 feet of snowpack.

The deep snow acts like an insulator to the ground. I have only heard of permafrost in Canada and Alaska but none in the lower 48 states. Maybe someone will correct me?
I believe you are right Mike about the permafrost...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,618 Times in 1,846 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Permafrost is soil frozen more then two years.

There is certainly "permafrost" in the lower 48.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,487 Times in 5,105 Posts
Awards Showcase

Need to know exactly where in the lower 48 states though Jeff.
I have not heard or seen of any permafrost although I thought possibly in the alpine tundra. So I Had to spend quite a bit of time googling tundra and permafrost in the lower 48 states and came up with little. Maybe some can prove beyond a doubt and show exactly where there is Permanent permafrost in the lower 48 states??

This is the main article that I found about all this >
http://encyclopedia.stateuniversity....61/tundra.html

And from the above link >
"Alpine tundra occurs at high enough altitude at any latitude on Earth. Alpine tundra also lacks trees, but the lower part does not have permafrost, and alpine soils are generally better drained than permafrost soils. Alpine tundra transitions to subalpine forests below the tree-line."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

Mike, Have you done any fishing up there, if so was it just brookies? Oh if so how far from your place? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Need to know exactly where in the lower 48 states though Jeff.
I have not heard or seen of any permafrost although I thought possibly in the alpine tundra. So I Had to spend quite a bit of time googling tundra and permafrost in the lower 48 states and came up with little. Maybe some can prove beyond a doubt and show exactly where there is Permanent permafrost in the lower 48 states??

This is the main article that I found about all this >
http://encyclopedia.stateuniversity....61/tundra.html

And from the above link >
"Alpine tundra occurs at high enough altitude at any latitude on Earth. Alpine tundra also lacks trees, but the lower part does not have permafrost, and alpine soils are generally better drained than permafrost soils. Alpine tundra transitions to subalpine forests below the tree-line."
You were thinking of it wrong, it's almost a trick answer, but it would be correct. Technically Permafrost is ground that stays frozen more than two years.

Under Glaciers what's not rock would be frozen. I can guarantee the ground is frozen under much of Mt. Rainer, Hood, Adams, Bachelor, Shasta, Baker, 3sisters and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to swwjeff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Eater View Post
Mike, Have you done any fishing up there, if so was it just brookies? Oh if so how far from your place? Thanks
I have done some fishing in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming. On the North Platte river which is in the valley ten plus miles below my mtn place there is blue ribbon trout fishing. An area of that river is also called the Miracle Mile since there are so many trout.

But near my mtn place are several streams and a couple lakes. Battle lake and Silver lake which take a 4x4 vehicle or hikng to get to. They are both around 3 miles to the west - NW of my land. Mostly brook trout but in a private pond about 1/4 a mile downhill from my place is filled with rainbow trout. Well a couple years ago there were 100 trout but now maybe only 50. Should get some before they all disappear. The people who own that pond and trout don't feed the trout too much, hardly at all last summer and the long cold winters up there probably killed most of the trout over the past two years.

I also know a hidden pond where hardly anyone goes and some small creeks with brookies which possibly one could just net them and catch some. These small creeks are in the gulches below my land and a couple miles to the south in the pure wilderness area also.

About ten years ago I was a fishing guide for a few people, mainly we just went to Silver Lake and they caught their limit. Also I helped set up their camp and guided them around seeing some sites such as old mines etc.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 AM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

I used to catch a lot of fish during the summer, then I would smoke and vacuum seal them or can them every year. I have experimented some on drying and grinding them into meal, made good soup but that's about it. Thanks Rat
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
I can't believe you still had snow in June! It is inspiring to look at these pictures and grasp the concept that we have within us the ability to adapt, live and thrive in a primitive environment. For me, this brings hope.
I wanted to respond to this quite a while back, forgot about it and now finally responding.

I usually have snow in the shade and by the cold springs until around mid July on my mtn place.
There is snow almost all year, higher up at 11,000 feet around Bridger Peak which is a few miles to the west-NW of my land.

August and Sept. are the most snow free time up there although this past summer in mid August 2009 there was an inch of snow. Which was unusual but sometimes happens.

And you said: " It is inspiring to look at these pictures and grasp the concept that we have within us the ability to adapt, live and thrive in a primitive environment. For me, this brings hope."
Which I also find it amazing that so many people can adapt, live, I think they are mostly just existing but I suppose many think they are thriving in the primitive concrete jungles of Big cities. Just proves what people will do to survive, even "living" in polluted, crowded, expensive, noisy, crime and disease filled ugly cities.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Mike, could you tell us more about the foraging capabilities in that area?

With that much snow, I imagine even animals are gone through much of the cold season.

To me it seems like food storage is almost key for any long term SHTF. I know you've stated you have quite a bit stored. Is storage something you're still working on?

Could you tell us some of your other current preps? Not only on the mountain, but some you are doing currently in town?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swwjeff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwjeff View Post
Mike, could you tell us more about the foraging capabilities in that area?

With that much snow, I imagine even animals are gone through much of the cold season.

To me it seems like food storage is almost key for any long term SHTF. I know you've stated you have quite a bit stored. Is storage something you're still working on?

Could you tell us some of your other current preps? Not only on the mountain, but some you are doing currently in town?
Well, I think I have told in a couple different posts about foraging, hunting, fishing, gardening etc. And I should make a good greenhouse but probably won't do that until I ever move up there permanently.

There is quite a bit to forage in the million plus acre national forest that surrounds my mtn place. But the abundant wildlife usually beat me to the berries and even dandelions....

But drying meat such as fish, deer, elk etc. would be best I think, to get more food stored. As well as whatever else I can get, such as more stored dried food such as beans, wheat, rice etc. etc.

I have been up there in the winter even for a week in March 2000. I mainly only saw squirrels, gray jays and some other birds. There are lots of fox, snowshoe hare and other animal tracks but they are usually out at night.

I am always working on food storage although I do not tell everything. Eventually just maybe you all will get every tid bit and detail out of me though. hmmm the smileys don't work so here > 8<)#

Given enough time and effort I might even make a root cellar in my underground shelter/bunker. Which could be used to store even more stuff - too much to tell about.
Maybe later I will tell even more about storing but not now at 3 a.m.

I know I have hardly told anything about my preps, retreat, storage etc. : )?? but here in the stinkin city - Greeley, Coloradica, I am always looking out for bargains, sales etc. Such as I try not to buy a jar of peanut butter unless it is $1 a jar which once or twice a store does have that price. Then I buy as much as possible such as last year I bought 25 jars which was barely enough to get me thru from June to Nov. on my retreat.

I have a generator and some duplicate tools and even brought a couple chainsaws down to the city, mainly to repair them. But on my mtn place is where I have most of my preps, tools, materials, items to survive and thrive If the SHTF or worse or even If Nothing Ever happens, uh-huh.

If you or anyone else have even more specific questions such as you can ask if I have a certain tool or prep and I will probably answer. The more specific the question, the more specific my answer.

But thanks Jeff for the questions. Anyone, else have more questions? After mid June when I usually go back up to my mtn place then it is a possibility that no one will ever hear from me again.
But as long as things keep going the way they have been the past few years I might keep posting.

This past year has been unusual which I might tell about that later. Just think of an animal trapped in a cage, is the way I feel like when existing in the .... city. Some things are difficult to answer. Even though I have tried my best.

All for now for it is after 3 a.m.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Here is an interesting thread that I think fits well with this pic thread. Although it discusses hermits but does show how even someone living alone Can survive for years without much if any outside help.

In the following link, I posted a few times telling more experiences in post 11 and in post 25 I typed out a 1958 article about an old hermit who lived for around fifty years in remote eastern Colorado. Here is the hermit thread which I hope some will enjoy } https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=92399
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Just began putting pics on photobucket. Which is going to take a lot of time with the many pics I have. I Might put up many many pics between now and June, when I go back up to my mtn paradise.

Any others can also post some good pics if you wish. Here is an interesting one which I hope everyone can see two deer in this pic >

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

The second deer stands right out once you see it. I love puzzles like that, especially when it's not some goober that screams at you.
The Following User Says Thank You to swwjeff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Since so many like that last pic, well Jeff anyway, here are a couple more. I could post many of these but will try to control myself. I will post many many more pics on the next page, whenever that will come up and whenever I can ever get all the pics onto photobucket.
Large pics take a long time to upload, with my slow dialup anyway.

This next pic should be easy to see what is different about it >

This next one may not be so easy, especially if you are only looking for a ..... I will give a hint later if any need some help. These are also mind exercises, which my mind needs a work out especially if I surf the net too much... And it shows how observant one is and if they have an eye for detail.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

"The Hidden Tiger."
Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Here is a good thread where someone is searching for answers. I maybe did not answer perfectly but I tried to answer the best I could and tell what, who and why I believe.
This is important to me, shows some of why I do what I do on my retreat and the reason I am posting the link to this thread, for without meaning, purpose and/or strong beliefs, everything is vanity and like far too many ask, "why bother?" The post and you can look at the rest of the thread also if any are interested > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...84#post1272384
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
As Ragnar Benson, author of "The Survival Retreat, A total Plan for retreat defense" wrote, "It is a matter of wisely identifying what you have available and turning it into something usable.... Fight If you must but try your utmost to orchestrate events so that confrontation is absolutely the remedy of last resort."

I wish Benson's books were online, for I would clip and post quite a bit from them. Possibly they are but I have not seen them on the internet. Ragnar Benson's books I believe, can still be bought through Paladin Press. His 3 best books about survival retreats are: "The Survival Retreat", "The Modern Survival Retreat" and "Living off the Land in the City or Country" Google them and learn If you are interested in extremely good survival retreat info.
I downloaded a torrent file which had about 15 of his books. It was an illegal download however, so I cannot link it. But I'm sure a google search with the book title alongside torrent should yield some results. Try not to get any viruses though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ali Legend For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Last edited by swwjeff; 01-31-2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: duh
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Prepared

Thank you very much Mtnman Mike. I am a fan.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vera21375 For This Useful Post: