It's encouraging, and it isn't. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 02-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 25,320 Times in 8,938 Posts
Default It's encouraging, and it isn't.

Advertise Here

My husband has a head injury and stroke so he can be a little stubborn and difficult at times.

So he woke me up this morning, told me he couldn't sleep and listened to Coast to Coast, and they were advertising a LTS freeze dried kit with "breakfast lunch and dinner"!

I told him it was a bad idea, but I would be DELIGHTED to help him assemble some Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry meals. We like those brands. He said no, he wanted the kit.

I told him the breakfast in the kit is likely just a packet of oatmeal in mylar. He was very disappointed.

It is encouraging he wants more ready food storage - I have a lot of beans and rice and we need more freeze dried, BUT frustrating he wanted a kit. When I googled it wise and my patriot came up and I don't think either of them are any good from what I remember.

I said I would take it here and see if you guys knew of a kit, but I think the best thing is to buy servings - the 1-2 meals, try them, and then buy what we like. He did that with the Backpacker's Pantry Red Beans and Rice, he adores that and we have a couple #10 cans.

But if you know of a good kit I will tell him.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 59,627 Times in 20,606 Posts

OK, I'll break out one of my secret links: https://coyotecamp.com/

They make daily kits for emergency personnel.

Problem is they don't offer long life kits. They put only a 1 yr date on them.

Honestly, you are better to make these on your own. Build a long life kit from store tins, MH packets, and MRE components from MRE Depot and then seal up the daily kit in a big vacuum bag.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.

Last edited by IamZeke; 02-22-2020 at 06:26 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 02:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 67,024 Times in 21,095 Posts

Buy it separately and tell him.it's a kit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 03:05 AM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 2,021 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Buy it separately and tell him.it's a kit.
If he is adamant about a kit maybe you can order up something similar but better and when it arrives talk it up as what he expected, and maybe say they added in a few freebees to sweeten the deal.

Best of luck, at least he is looking in the right direction. =-)
The Following User Says Thank You to INresponse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:06 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,519 Times in 297 Posts

Hmm, how about a compromise?

Costco.com has some emergency food kits, including a few Mountain House kits. The "right size" Mountain House kit, 30 days/204 servings for $489.99, is out of stock, of course, but they do have a couple of other MH kits, including a 13 pouch meal kit for $74.99.

There are also a number of MH offerings featuring several #10 cans of the same meal. You *could* build a large kit by combining several of these, but that could get pricey. Each set of the same meal runs from $140 to $170.

There's a MH 1 year/1 person kit, 2814 servings for $5000. :0! I am surprised that there is not more meal variety in this kit, especially for the price.

If the point is to try a kit, or to have a kit on hand to ease his mind, there's an EasyPrep cook in bag meal kit, breakfast and lunch/dinner, 227 servings, for $139.99. I'm not familiar with the brand and there are no reviews, but in my experience Costco has a good track record with returns. I return items from Costco.com at the local warehouse.

https://www.costco.com/all-emergency-food.html