Drums for the AK and AR - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 PM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,081 Posts

Advertise Here

Drums are dumb. They weigh more versus box magazines with the same amount of ammo carried (say 60rd magpul drum vs 2 pmags for example). They are mechanically more complex, which can likely lead to failures far more than box magazines. Some require lubrication, extra maintenance isn't good. Almost always they take more time to reload. They take up more room on your kit and sometimes require special pouches to hold. Some drums need to be wound to use or unwound to store to prevent damage. I can see an argument for a drum on a squad level. But let's be realistic here, most of us are individuals or part of small groups, not a large entity with the logistics to back it.

If I wanted a mag over 30 or 40 rounds, I'd look for a quad stack like the Surefire 60rd mag. They can fit in most 2 mag pouches and don't require winding of any springs.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,323 Times in 484 Posts

Zero experience with AR drums. Back in the 60's I was an Air Policeman. We had a Thompson with a drum magazine in the vault. Checked it out for a 12 hr. shift, maximum cool factor. 1 roving patrol and it went back into the vault.

From my experience drums are super cool range toys or like pointed out here fixed location shoot outs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Target Shooter

I use a drum for my lynx12. Only because a 12rd stick mag takes up a lot of real estate. And it works great. so in my case a drum in useful.

That being said its kind of the opposite for rifles, pistols, smg/pdw. Ian from forgotten weapons just put out a video on drum magazines. worth a view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69pw4PcBmE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinetreescent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,869 Times in 756 Posts

Not a fan of ak drum magazines beyond collecting them. All my current "ak" rifles are RPKs right now, rather use longer 40 and 45rd magazines than a drum magazine for them. They're lighter, less bulky, and easier to store and reload if you find more ammo.

I do like the Magpul drum magazines for AR-15s but I've not really done a lot of testing with them so I can't speak for reliability. Don't see many militaries or police agencies using drum magazines for their rifles so I wouldn't rely upon them for SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 40,284 Times in 7,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I don't see many reviews on these - any suggestions? Brands and designs? Can you leave a drum fully loaded indefinitely? Do they need lubrication?
Iraqveteran88 uses drums in meltdown video, he does not seem to have an issue with them.

I am pretty sure he uses magpul drums, but not for certain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 02:06 PM
Prepared

My Magpul D60 has been reliable. I have had it for about a year. The manual says that you can keep it loaded indefinitely, so I do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM

All drums are ****. They're unreliable and take up a lot of space.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cavadus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,978 Times in 6,638 Posts

Firearms and their accoutrements are tools in a toolbox.

They are either applicable to a specific set of circumstances, or they are not.

The fact that they are not applicable to various circumstances does not mean they have no use whatever.

The fact that they are of no use to a particular combatant does not mean they would never be useful under any circumstances. It means they are not generally applicable to the environment in which you operate.

The drums I own are completely reliable, and have remained reliable for several decades. I don't use them on a frequent basis, but I could certainly envision a number of scenarios in which they might be quite useful.

Your mileage may vary.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,949 Times in 970 Posts

OP, perhaps you'll notice a common theme in this thread amongst those who are stating that their drums are "reliable". It's something that is missing from many, perhaps even most internet forum discussions about many firearms and firearms accessories. Not a single one of the people so far who have talked about their drums being "reliable" has stated how much those drums have been used or under what conditions. Several have told us how long they've owned the drum mags, but of course, that information is totally useless since the length of time an item is owned has nothing whatsoever to do with how much it's been used. If someone can tell you how much use their drum mag has and under what conditions it was used, they may be worth listening to.

Personally, I try to follow the advice and example of people who have "been there and done that", as it were. Try to find someone who is or has been a professional gunfighter who recommends or uses drum magazines (who isn't trying to sell them). You're gonna have a tough time finding one and there's a good reason for that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 6,845 Times in 1,984 Posts

For investment and trade stock..........$4.99 per quality steel NATO 30 round magazines, stack them steep, bury/cache some not too deep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
OP, perhaps you'll notice a common theme in this thread amongst those who are stating that their drums are "reliable". It's something that is missing from many, perhaps even most internet forum discussions about many firearms and firearms accessories. Not a single one of the people so far who have talked about their drums being "reliable" has stated how much those drums have been used or under what conditions. Several have told us how long they've owned the drum mags, but of course, that information is totally useless since the length of time an item is owned has nothing whatsoever to do with how much it's been used. If someone can tell you how much use their drum mag has and under what conditions it was used, they may be worth listening to.

Personally, I try to follow the advice and example of people who have "been there and done that", as it were. Try to find someone who is or has been a professional gunfighter who recommends or uses drum magazines (who isn't trying to sell them). You're gonna have a tough time finding one and there's a good reason for that.
Thank you all! Yes, it does seem that drums are a bit of a novelty - many question their reliability. That is what I wanted to know. I may still buy one but will do so for the sake of the novelty, but will not make it's use an integral part of my planning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Thank you all! Yes, it does seem that drums are a bit of a novelty - many question their reliability. That is what I wanted to know. I may still buy one but will do so for the sake of the novelty, but will not make it's use an integral part of my planning.
Maybe you don't need them. One should never (?) decide a specific question based on some general consideration. One MUST know why, exactly, he owns ANYTHING. Also, there is reliability and a reliability. For example, PRO-MAG drum is utterly UNreliable: it can fail on a 2nd round or 42nd round. But if a 100rd drum fails on a 92nd round doesn't affect its usability. This did not happen to me but I have read some reports about AR-15 drums.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,983 Posts

I'd give one of these a try. If for no other reason that that cool box!

https://www.centuryarms.com/maak78a.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,448 Posts

The mag I keep in my rifle (first up) is a Magpul D60. It's a pain to load, but has been flawless through 3000+ rounds. I know several "professionals" who run one with the same idea - as the initial magazine it doesn't require a specialized carry option, and allows longer before a reload is necessary. The D60 is the only 5.56 drum I have seen perform reliably across multiple samples.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,809 Times in 864 Posts

Magpul D60.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sinlessorrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,714 Times in 4,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavadus View Post
All drums are ****. They're unreliable and take up a lot of space.
Based on what experience? Our PSD/training team used Magpul D60's all the time for convoy ops and during training. You don't use them other than certain situations, and in a vehicle the lower profile worked better than 30rd magazines. They worked flawlessly, they offered more on-board ammo for suppression, and when you're just suppressing and moving from the disabled vehicle to another one, changing mags is the least of your worries. I would agree that there is a certain point where weight and balance become a significant disadvantage, but the 60rd Magpul drums are just about perfect...

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: