Survivalist Forum banner

Hiking Camping and Hiking - Free Online Book

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ilgar 
#1 ·
Found a nice gem on google books. Basically it's a hiking camping and wilderness guide. There is a lot of very useful things you can learn from this book from shelter building, fire building basics, first aid and food gathering.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ab...wrell&sig=MPR0q9ycGuSujjJifV7pxGIcJgA#PPP1,M1 - the 2007 edition

http://books.google.com/books?id=de...ell&sig=IiANPSztZBSo7Ov_W9tI0LnBK5o#PPA644,M1 - 2006 edition (looks a little more extensive than the 2007 edition)

I have the actual book at home and I am always reading, refferencing and learning from it. I HIGHLY reccomend y'all check it out.

#7 ·
Don't waste your time with the new editions---way too much PC crap. If you can find an old "Fieldbook" you will have found a treasure. The old style Merit Badge handbooks go into details that you will like. Military TMs (Training Manuals) are a wealth of knowledge.

#9 ·
Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a while now.
I'm also a very active climber.
I finally registered to warn you, the climbing section of this book is extremely dated.
Some gear and technique described looks like it came straight out of the 1950's... and the sport has evolved ALOT since then, some of the things described there are just downright dangerous to today's standards...
Most of you will only be interested in high altitude first aid and shelter, but I reckon you would also like to know how to get down. :p

Don't try to learn that from a book or the internet, go to your local climbing gym and ask them if anyone is giving courses, clinics or camps. Its great fun and besides, every climbing camp learns you how to rappel with modern gear.
I read countless books and then went on a camp with my friends and I was amazed at how many tricks and details aren't discussed in the literature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.