Growing Meat Chickens More Efficiently - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,266 Times in 15,061 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat In The Woods View Post
I know I like fermented corn, especially with coke.

I had never heard of that before. Do you just toss a bunch of corn in a bucket of water and yeast? Does the fermentation give a nutritional benefit?

Put feed in a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 way. Add water and a glug of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar about 2 inches over the feed. Stir. Let it sit for 24 hours. By that time it should be smelling fermented. You might have to adjust the amount of water when you do this.... you want the consistency of the final product to be like grout.

It helps them absorb more nutrients of the feed and is also a probiotic.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
Put feed in a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 way. Add water and a glug of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar about 2 inches over the feed. Stir. Let it sit for 24 hours. By that time it should be smelling fermented. You might have to adjust the amount of water when you do this.... you want the consistency of the final product to be like grout.

It helps them absorb more nutrients of the feed and is also a probiotic.
Interesting. Is this dry feed corn like you get in 50lb bags?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,271 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebjr1967 View Post
I am just finishing up processing 25 cornish x today. I will give you my numbers shortly.
.85 a pound.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 10:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
.85 a pound.
That is a good number. What do you feed, where do you buy your birds and do you use a heat source? The cost of my chicks used to be pennies as they were extras from a hatchery. Buying birds at $2++ adds to the cost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,881 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
The one caveat to it is, Iíll have to justify the cost of growing my own over buying my meat at the store to my girlfriend, especially since weíre in college.
I used to raise 400-700 broiler chickens a year using (roughly) Joel Salatin's model in his book, Pastured Poultry Profits. You're not going to be able to raise them for less than the cheap, ****ty chicken you get at the grocery store. You will, however, be able to raise them for less than you can buy healthy chicken for. It's been over 15 years since I raised my own birds but I've helped a bunch of friends with theirs on butchering day since then and it seems to me that the standard Cornish Rock cross are getting worse than they used to be when it comes to leg problems, tumors, etc. I can't remember the breed but there was a brown colored chicken that a buddy of mine raised that were much better at foraging and didn't have near the leg problems. They didn't grow quite as big quite as fast, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'll try to find out what that breed was.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Hunter

Probably Freedom Rangers or of that
nature. They taste very different from Cornish.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 12:10 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,684 Times in 3,857 Posts

Cat Wrangler , which would you say tastes better the Cornish cross or the freedom rangers ? One time I met a young guy at an abbatoirs and his freedom rangers were about 4 weeks older than the Cornish cross I was having done . The carcasses were close to the same weight . But the voracious consumption of feed in the shorter term of the Cornish may in fact not be that much more economical than the freedom rangers or in fact could be less economical . It certainly piqued my interest

Now I have a nasty Bresse rooster and I am told they are a superb meat but I had also read the dairy region in France where they are derived from had specific feeding as well. The person whom gifted me the rooster offered to take it back to eat it if I no longer wanted him as they considered the taste to be superior so I am considering perhaps the meat is different in taste by breed , rather than just different feeding ?

Where I live , it is not economical to feed anything but breeding stock over winter , not that I am that sensible at times but if I were , everything would be slaughtered before the end of fall excepting core breeding stock .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
That is a good number. What do you feed, where do you buy your birds and do you use a heat source? The cost of my chicks used to be pennies as they were extras from a hatchery. Buying birds at $2++ adds to the cost.
I ordered 25 cornish x from Meyer. 2.61 each. I fed southern states 21%, and supplemented with grass clippings every day, and other food and weed scraps. I kept them on the porch in a cattle trough, under a red light for the first two weeks. When I moved them outside, I set up the light out there for another week or so. Yes, the cost of these chicks has went up quite a bit, as has the feed, but it has given me a good starting point.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I used to raise 400-700 broiler chickens a year using (roughly) Joel Salatin's model in his book, Pastured Poultry Profits. You're not going to be able to raise them for less than the cheap, ****ty chicken you get at the grocery store. You will, however, be able to raise them for less than you can buy healthy chicken for. It's been over 15 years since I raised my own birds but I've helped a bunch of friends with theirs on butchering day since then and it seems to me that the standard Cornish Rock cross are getting worse than they used to be when it comes to leg problems, tumors, etc. I can't remember the breed but there was a brown colored chicken that a buddy of mine raised that were much better at foraging and didn't have near the leg problems. They didn't grow quite as big quite as fast, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'll try to find out what that breed was.
You took the words right out of my mouth. These are not the birds I remember raising in the 80s and 90s. I very much wanted to follows polyfaces model, but at about 5 weeks many of these birds stopping walking and only got up to go to the trough. You could throw a nightcrawler 5 feet outside the door, and they'd just look at, and continue to eat the grain. The last two weeks I would pull the trough up and let them eat twice a day. When done, there wasn't a single bird under 6#. The largest one was 9.8 pounds.

These are not the free range meat birds I'm looking for. They are factory birds created for speedy mass production. And yes, they are the same flavor and texture you find in the supermarket.

Any info on a better bird would be appreciated. I was just going to go for a leghorn or dominecker next spring. Just something that walks around pecking, so I can eliminate this commercial feed.

That said, if you like fast supermarket chicken for less than a dollar a pound, cornish crosses are the bird for you.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:47 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Quote:
Interesting. Is this dry feed corn like you get in 50lb bags?

Just regular pellets. I use organic. But don't buy feed with soy in it, it gets slimy when fermenting.
The Following User Says Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Hunter

To me the Freedom Rangers taste very different from Cornish. They have more dark meat and even the white meat has a different flavor. Dh really dislikes them. I can tell which is which in the canned meat, too. I will not raise them again as I tried several batches. Even they tended to have joint issues beyond 13 or 14 weeks.

I like dual purpose birds, not as much as Cornish but good, IMO. Cornish, raised with some exercise and restricted feed after about five days, taste very different from store bought, imo . There are fillers and some treatments used in commercial meat that contribute to a different taste. Home raised chickens generally have less fat and what fat there is has a completely different texture than store bought.

My thought for the op, get a few and go for it. I do mean a few as butchering can be a bit overwhelming even when you have done it before. I still have 19 to do and I dread it. The weather is cold and I am mostly by myself except for killing and bagging. Bleah.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM
gard'ner

Quote:
My thought for the op, get a few and go for it. I do mean a few as butchering can be a bit overwhelming even when you have done it before. I still have 19 to do and I dread it. The weather is cold and I am mostly by myself except for killing and bagging. Bleah.
The neat thing about chickens.... i don't need to kill more than I plan to cook right now....

chickens video
Chickens eating spiny cucumbers.... 1 minute long...
not sure why I can't see the video above...

They will eat most kitchen scraps... It's not like they are going to eat us out of house and home... if we let them live until we get hungry....
The Following User Says Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Hunter

Meat birds kind of have a short life expectancy. Between leg problems and growing to small turkey size beyond 10 or 12 weeks old.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Quote:
Meat birds kind of have a short life expectancy. Between leg problems and growing to small turkey size beyond 10 or 12 weeks old.
Aren't they supposed to be butchered at 42 days old? I think I read that somewhere ???
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,802 Times in 6,521 Posts
Default caw

Kill em when ya need em.

Older ones hit the pressure cooker.

ymmv of course
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 AM
Hunter

At 42 days they are usually a few pounds dressed. To small to clean out easily, IMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Target Shooter

What N1D said, pressure cooker, we never cared for "meat chickens" just ate the layers when they quit doing their job.
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
Aren't they supposed to be butchered at 42 days old? I think I read that somewhere ???
They'll be on the light side, but a lot of folks do only take them to 6 weeks. I normally did 8. The Cornish Rock cross birds would often start to have leg problems by that age though, so that was pushing it.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
These are not the free range meat birds I'm looking for. They are factory birds created for speedy mass production. And yes, they are the same flavor and texture you find in the supermarket.
Just found this place. Looks promising. https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:31 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 22,802 Times in 6,521 Posts
Default caw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Just found this place. Looks promising. https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/
Upwards of $2 per "cock and straight run" your effin killin mee