Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Congrats. Backstrap, it's what's for dinner
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,646 Times in 773 Posts

Hope you got a doe. They always tasted better to me than a buck. I always de-boned mine, cut against the grain, put steaks in paper grocery sack, with flour and lots of garlic, pound until flattened, fry until tender enough to cut with a fork. Mighty fine!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,041 Times in 460 Posts

Good for you. In your state getting a couple more shouldn't be a problem. I remember my first deer like it just happened. What a good feeling that was.

I like shooting does myself. Or the rag horn bucks no one else wants. I leave the trophy stuff for the mighty hunters. Ever deer I have killed (30 so far) has been good eating no matter if it was a buck or doe. All except for one 12 point that was still in the rut. My dog wouldn't even eat the meat. I hated dumping that meat but it was just not edible.

I still haven't hunted yet this year. Maybe next week I will go. I have a new 243 to try out.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 20,000 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Got my meat back from the game processor today.
45.9lbs!

Still have a couple more opportunities:
Antlerless Dec 6th - 8th.
Alternative Methods Dec 28th - Jan 7th

Going to have a couple steaks on the grill tonight.
Nice!
Venison is very lean, but you can do anything with it that you do with beef or pork.

You may notice that you can eat as much venison as you do beef, and not feel as full or bloated. One great benefit to it.

After the backstraps are all eaten, we like to use it for fajitas and chili. If you have a good sized roast, then that's good too, just don't overcook it.

I'm a fan of this glaze for the backstraps:

1/4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup minced green onions (with tops)
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 tsp. black pepper

You can marinade it for an hour if you want, or just brush as you're grilling. I usually reserve some and reduce it to use as a finishing sauce. Super yummy.
Adjust the measurements to the meat portion, of course.

This is a really good way to get any 'game meat is icky' folks converted. That was my wife 23 years ago, now she's asking when I'm putting meat in the freezer.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:17 PM

I got number 7 of the season for our family and my 8 year old son hit a buck this morning with a likely non fatal shot. We followed blood for 400 yards and trail dried up. Dog couldn't pick it back up either. We've had a fun season and the kids are really coming along with their hunting skills.

8 year old son. Antlerless--6.8 spc--60 yd

12 year old daughter. Antlerless-6mm-155 yds and 146" 9 pt -6mm-171 yds

Me-- antlerless-50 cal ML-30 yds
8 pt- 45 cal ML-10 yds
8 pt- 308-150 yds
Antlerless-crossbow-8 yds

Needless to say, I'm about tired of cutting up deer. About ready for some coyote hunting and striper fishing.

Congrats to all who have had successful hunting seasons. Stay safe.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
Hope you got a doe. They always tasted better to me than a buck. I always de-boned mine, cut against the grain, put steaks in paper grocery sack, with flour and lots of garlic, pound until flattened, fry until tender enough to cut with a fork. Mighty fine!!!
Marinade in Frank's hot sauce overnight. Pound between sheets of plastic wrap. Shake in bag of flour and cornmeal. Fry for a minute on each side. Make gravy and pour over potatoes, noodles or rice.
Deer season this year is worst anyone has seen. Temp in he nineties and no rain for almost two months this summer.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,058 Posts

Love the first backstrap medallions of the year. Get the cast iron almost smokin hot then coat it with a couple tables spoons of extra virgin. Drop 2 inch medallions of backstrap with a little salt, pepper, garlic and minced onion in the pan. Sear for 2 minutes, take off the heat and turn them over, put them in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Take them out of the cast iron and let them rest while you add the wine of your choice to the cast iron and cook it down to a sauce then pour it over the meat. Freakin awesome!!!! Congrats on the first of many to come.