Opinions on future sks plans. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Future Wars, Future Military Capability zorost Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 07-12-2015 12:17 AM
Opinions on the brand "Future Essentials" vedhead10 Food and water 1 10-06-2014 08:11 PM
Elon Musk on the future of the future SharpDog General Discussion 0 03-01-2013 10:38 AM
Europe's future is our future aintgottime Financial Forum 1 01-20-2013 03:17 PM
The 1985 of the Future, in Back to the Future II BlueHarvest76 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 08-16-2011 02:23 PM
Could This Be Our Future? digger65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 07-20-2011 08:49 PM
My plans for the future include gold and farm land. Hick Industries Financial Forum 14 08-11-2010 07:47 PM
Future plans whats yours? mine is the uk survivalist British Isles and ROI 5 02-28-2010 03:28 AM
Future of Retirement Plans tam40 Political News and Discussion 15 08-01-2009 03:43 PM

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 AM
I have no filter

Default Opinions on future sks plans.

Advertise Here

Ok, so, I want to try and do something with this rifle... http://i.imgur.com/KDSnoKA.jpg ...its been in this configuration for a few years, and has only been shot twice since I've had it. The scope is since GONE, it was utter garbage and shot a spot in the ground no matter how I adjusted it. The wood stock is split in a few spots making the steal parts wobble in the stock.

Much to the criticism of the guys at the gunboards forums, I asked their opinions.......i might as well asked them more personal questions cause I got chastised for asking what stock I should put on it to replace the broken more then likely very dangerous to use wooden one.

What would your opinions be to do with a old goat such as this?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,412 Times in 6,660 Posts

Why would it be dangerous to put a Wooden replacement stock on it?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:55 AM
I have no filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Why would it be dangerous to put a Wooden replacement stock on it?
I'm saying the current stock on it is dangerous to use with it being cracked and the gun wobbles inside of it to the point the only thing keeping it stuck to the stock is the trigger group, there's so much play in it I don't like shooting it at all.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:59 AM
that's like, your opinion

Thanked 24,335 Times in 10,076 Posts

unless you replace or tap the rear sight trunnion (or use a scout mount) you probably should not be running an optic on an SKS...

id say find a good condition surplus stock, refinish it and install, call it good
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 08:04 AM
I have no filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
unless you replace or tap the front sight trunnion (or use a scout mount) you probably should not be running an optic on an SKS...

id say find a good condition surplus stock, refinish it and install, call it good
The thing is that raised rail dustcover is solid as a rock, i can't make it wiggle one bit. Either way I'm more then likely gonna get my hands on a original dustcover from apex
Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,324 Times in 3,601 Posts

I would get a new stock and a receiver top cover and call it a day. Below is a link to both.

I just recently ordered one of the stocks and when it arrived it was a New stock that had never even been a gun. It only had, what appeared to be, a little water staining where it had gotten damp at some time or, another.

SKS Stock $20.35

SKS Top Cover $21.95

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for .458 SOCOM brass, Bayonets and Surplus gun parts.

Last edited by Al Diehl; 11-25-2015 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: added prices
Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 AM
I have no filter

Now see if this was the gunboards forum, I'd have been called a idiot and a moron several times and told "Y U WANNA MISMATCH RIFLE, RIFLE GOOD BROKEN....COLLECTORS VALUEEEEEEEEE"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,324 Times in 3,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Now see if this was the gunboards forum, I'd have been called a idiot and a moron several times and told "Y U WANNA MISMATCH RIFLE, RIFLE GOOD BROKEN....COLLECTORS VALUEEEEEEEEE"
Don't be so hard on them,.....I am a member over there too. Ultimately, It's your gun, do what you want to.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for .458 SOCOM brass, Bayonets and Surplus gun parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The thing is that raised rail dustcover is solid as a rock, i can't make it wiggle one bit. Either way I'm more then likely gonna get my hands on a original dustcover from apex
no matter how tight you think a dust cover replacement is, its not......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 AM
I have no filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
no matter how tight you think a dust cover replacement is, its not......
It doesnt matter anyway since the whole gun wobbles in the stock its in now, which happens to be its original stock..
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM

true..........
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 AM
I have no filter

indubitably....................................... ................

dots...lovely lovely dots

lol
Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm saying the current stock on it is dangerous to use with it being cracked and the gun wobbles inside of it to the point the only thing keeping it stuck to the stock is the trigger group, there's so much play in it I don't like shooting it at all.
For whatever reason, I bought a wooden stock for $50 shipped. I have more money than brains and am in the process of clearing out stuff I will never use. It's in my garage, or next to the safe. Great condition.

I would:

Replace the stock
Add tech-sights & thinner front site blade (HUGE Improvement)
Have the trigger smoothed out by Kivaari

Done. That rifle will last 100 years, be plenty accurate and low maintenance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maryland_Shooter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Living Simple

I'll throw a different route out here. I used to have a SKS with a Tapco collapsible stock on it. I'm not normally a Tapco guy and don't have anything Tapco now but for that gun it was good enough for me. I mean if you are going to put a different stock on it and want something different then that would be an option. Honestly though, I would just get a wood stock and find another gun to "fancy" up.

One thing I didn't like about the one I had was that the wood stock really keeps the gun balanced very well. Putting the Tapco on it made it extremely front heavy.

So it's up to you on which way you want to go. One other thing I will throw out and you probably know, and I've been guilty of myself, don't ask for people's opinions and then get all wound up and mad about their opinions. It kinda comes with the forum territory.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth View Post
don't ask for people's opinions and then get all wound up and mad about their opinions. It kinda comes with the forum territory.
True dat, but the way some of these people act on some of these forums is unacceptable

Example, If your not a FAL purist, don't bother posting on the FALfiles forum. A lot of those guys get all bent out of shape for wanting to put a rail on a FAL. Its ridiculous
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Living Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
True dat, but the way some of these people act on some of these forums is unacceptable

Example, If your not a FAL purist, don't bother posting on the FALfiles forum. A lot of those guys get all bent out of shape for wanting to put a rail on a FAL. Its ridiculous
I understand and agree completely. As I stated though, it happens, and will keep happening. I guess I refuse to let peoples stupidity and ignorance affect my day. As I stated I have got irritated more than enough with people on forums and probably will again but I try my best to not let it bother me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingTruth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 03:46 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Last I checked (not long ago), original wood stocks were readily available, and not very expensive (I'm thinking in the $45 range). Do a search on e-bay.
There are also aftermarket synthetic stocks that work well and don't cost that much. I got a paratrooper SKS that came with a Choate stock on it that I really like, it's lightweight and much better ergos than an original wood stock.
If you stick with an original wood stock, look for one of those rubber buttstock extensions. They only cost about $10 delivered on e-bay, but they make a lot of difference.
Also, the guys have been giving you good advice about a dust-cover scope mounts. They don't work well, on SKS's or AK's. The SKS is a very intermediate range weapon, a scope is un-necessary and just adds cost,complexity and weight.
Stick with the iron sights.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
I have no filter

See I can't do iron sights 9 times outta 10, my eyes have trouble adjusting to them, that's why I scoped my ak after I found a decent scope mount, I mean in all reality if you can put shots on your target and eliminate it, bullseye or close to bullseye isnt really necessary as long as the target is eliminated

Though for some reason on the sks I can focus a bit better, but the ak was hard to focus, and I don't wear glasses either
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
See I can't do iron sights 9 times outta 10, my eyes have trouble adjusting to them, that's why I scoped my ak after I found a decent scope mount, I mean in all reality if you can put shots on your target and eliminate it, bullseye or close to bullseye isnt really necessary as long as the target is eliminated

Though for some reason on the sks I can focus a bit better, but the ak was hard to focus, and I don't wear glasses either
Maybe ya need glasses?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,217 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
See I can't do iron sights 9 times outta 10, my eyes have trouble adjusting to them, that's why I scoped my ak after I found a decent scope mount, I mean in all reality if you can put shots on your target and eliminate it, bullseye or close to bullseye isn’t really necessary as long as the target is eliminated

That's strange, I grew up with iron sights, can't hit squat with a scope. Have no idea how to use sights on a bow either.

Oh, I broke the stock to my SKS a few years ago, replaced with a Tapco collapsible stock and am very happy with my choice.