Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on future sks plans. The_Kid Military Weapons Forum 54 12-10-2015 07:36 PM
Future Wars, Future Military Capability zorost Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 07-12-2015 12:17 AM
Elon Musk on the future of the future SharpDog General Discussion 0 03-01-2013 10:38 AM
Europe's future is our future aintgottime Financial Forum 1 01-20-2013 03:17 PM
My future.. SurvivalDingo General Discussion 14 01-19-2013 10:34 AM
The 1985 of the Future, in Back to the Future II BlueHarvest76 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 08-16-2011 02:23 PM
My plans for the future include gold and farm land. Hick Industries Financial Forum 14 08-11-2010 07:47 PM
Future plans whats yours? mine is the uk survivalist British Isles and ROI 5 02-28-2010 03:28 AM
Future of Retirement Plans tam40 Political News and Discussion 15 08-01-2009 03:43 PM

Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Future Plans

Advertise Here

Greetings from Minnesota. Currently I live in the suburbs but I've been planning to move to greener pastures for years now. I've been out to South Dakota only a couple handful of times but fall more and more in love with it each visit.

For the most part Minnesota is too liberal for me and that's probably saying a lot as a right leaning moderate. Also economy. There are plenty of jobs as long as you live within an hour of the cities but ideally I'd like more freedom that a rural environment provides, like being able to shoot destructive garden varmints or raise chickens on my own property, yet live within an hour or less commute from work.

I've largely only seen the Eastern portions of the state. Dell Rapids seemed like a nice quiet town within easy reach of Souix Falls. My uncle lived in Yankton but passed away in September. It's a part of the state that reminded me most of Minnesota. Even Souix Falls being a metro area is not nearly as condensed as many of the suburbs in Minnesota and the people of your state seem a lot more pleasant and courteous.

I've racked my brain looking for things not to like about South Dakota. Researched venomous snakes and spiders but it seems identicle to Minnesota's deadly critters if not less. I don't see a lot of lakes or woodlands unless traveling further south. Google maps shows a lot of rivers though. I like to fish, being out in nature is where I feel closest to God.

So I guess I'm looking for information, good and bad before I commit to moving. Within the next year I will have a diploma in welding and metal fabrication if that helps narrow down my criteria for work. My oldest will be eighteen but I have three other kids, so where are some of the best schools?

It'll be at least couple years before I do this because though I could settle for a house in a small quiet town, I would prefer plenty of land to do as I please. Build a cabin, garden and can my own food, stable horses, whatever I feel up to basically. Even so, I'd like recommendations on locations to scout out and see for myself as the wife and I take trips out there a couple times every year planning our future.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 PM

I grew up in MN. Have lived many years in SD. After reading what you are looking for, a few of my choices from what I know... If you don't mind incessant wind & lack of geography (which is most of eastern SD), Webster, SD, is a smaller town with higher school ratings, a little manufacturing, lots of fishing, and plenty of space. Consider its neighboring larger town Aberdeen, SD, too. If you prefer geography and trees, head west to the Black Hills. I really like Spearfish in the Hills - smaller town, higher school ratings, a little manufacturing - but often pricey property. These are just my picks from my perspective. I could write you a book...but hope these short comments are of some help as you visit towns.
The Following User Says Thank You to SOL2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 PM

I moved to South Dakota 5 years ago from TN I'd say it's a good place to live
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboyproud For This Useful Post: