Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOLLE II Rucksack Desert Camo NSN 8465-01-491-7519 Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2015 02:39 PM
MOLLE II Rucksack ACU (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 11-10-2014 02:52 PM
Question about Army rucksack vs USMC rucksack doublenut9 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 06-16-2013 07:40 PM
Want Tan/Coyote molle gear, trade black molle gear dan43935 Looking for - want to buy 5 11-21-2012 01:33 PM
Large Molle II Rucksack or a standard molle rucksack? kev Reviews and questions 3 11-16-2012 09:15 AM
MOLLE II Rucksack ACU (USED) Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 11-05-2012 09:21 AM
Attaching MOLLE gear to backpack straps with no MOLLE azfatboy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 06-25-2012 06:30 PM
Molle pouches and mods on your molle (capable) pack? Ursus Reviews and questions 3 08-29-2010 01:02 AM
heads-up MOLLE II and MOLLE packs on sale blue123 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 05-01-2010 07:42 AM
1st gen. molle rucksack frame? 1fishhead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 02-28-2010 08:35 PM

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I just ordered a MOLLE II large rucksack off of ebay. The condition is supposed to be used, but very good.

The pack does not come with a frame, waste belt or shoulder straps, I'll have to order them later. For right now, I'am going to try to strap the pack to my alice frame.

I wanted a woodland camo pack, but decided to go with the digital camo.
Make sure you inspect the straps thoroughly prior to use. I've seen a couple of these where people mounted them incorrectly to their frame and caused stress and had them tear at the seam where people usually don't bother to check. How much did you pay for the entire pack? I know of a guy on ebay where you can get the entire pack with sustainment pouches, patrol, main, sleep system, etc for like $65.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,228 Times in 7,835 Posts

I paid $55 for just the pack. That might seem a little high to yall, but I did not want desert camo.

Desert camo - cheap
Woodland camo - a little more expensive
Digital camo - most expensive

All I have been seeing is the desert camo, and just a few woodland camo rigs. Then I saw the digital camo pack, and thought "why not." I see no use in buying something, if its not what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branned View Post
I won two sets of the below off ebay for $73.98 ($36.99 each) delivered to my home this week from armygear-auctions. The Army (taxpayers) paid $400 each for them. They are brand new, complete, and put together.Wow! They are Desert three color tan and nice looking. I have OD A.L.I.C.E. large rucks and these will be my back up.
I paid a little extra because I do not want desert camo.

Last edited by kev; 03-07-2010 at 11:09 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,791 Times in 866 Posts

I agree that I also like the Woodland camo best. For camping and general use the Tan color is great. For tactical not so in the US woods. I have seen on other boards folks using $6 store dye to change the color of the Desert to black, green, etc. in a 5-gallon bucket.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Branned For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Trapper

Quote:
I just ordered a MOLLE II large rucksack off of ebay. The condition is supposed to be used, but very good.

The pack does not come with a frame, waste belt or shoulder straps, I'll have to order them later. For right now, I'am going to try to strap the pack to my alice frame.

I wanted a woodland camo pack, but decided to go with the digital camo.
I used to have 3 of them. I liked it at first,however I found it to be too bulky. I eventually took the straps, hip belt and sleep carrier and added it to my medium Alice. This makes the alice much more comfortable.

Also, this pack will NOT fit on the alice frame that I know of. I may be wrong, but I dont believe it will fit. I know that you cannot use the Molle II packs without a frame, unlike the medium alice pack. Because there is no place on the pack to attach straps and hip belt. It all attaches to the frame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostrider247 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Some White Guy

Quote:
I paid $55 for just the pack. That might seem a little high to yall, but I did not want desert camo.

Desert camo - cheap
Woodland camo - a little more expensive
Digital camo - most expensive

All I have been seeing is the desert camo, and just a few woodland camo rigs. Then I saw the digital camo pack, and thought "why not." I see no use in buying something, if its not what you want.

I paid a little extra because I do not want desert camo.
ehhh you got what you wanted and that's all that counts really, your happy with it, get out and enjoy it. should have mine in this week sometime, plus a big order from Readypro to boot. Be a fun week.
The Following User Says Thank You to fluxxer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxxer View Post
ehhh you got what you wanted and that's all that counts really, your happy with it, get out and enjoy it.
I think this will complete my pack selection.

Camelbak raider
Jansport cloth backpack
Maxpedition Falcon II Pygmy
Maxpedition Condor II
Maxpedition Vulture II
Medium Alice
Large Alice
Large Molle
Kelty Big Bend

From what I'am seeing, my Kelty Big Bend and the large molle are about the same size - 4,000 cubic inches. The kelty lacks a lot of the attachment points that the military packs have, which is an option that I wanted.

If the large molle will not fit on an alice frame, then I'll make a youtube video about it and order a frame off of ebay - no big deal.

I had planned on the Kelty being my cold weather pack, but I do not like the way it carries, or the lack of attachments on the outside. So I bought the large molle to be my 2+ day pack, and cold weather pack.

This summer I'am planning a boating/camping trip that will be about 100 miles long, and at least 2 days. This large molle was also bought for those boating trips - where I need to carry plenty of gear but will not be humping the pack all the way.

Last edited by kev; 03-09-2010 at 03:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Simmer down now

Thanked 2,458 Times in 979 Posts

I've got a Molle Gen IV frame, straps, and waist belt coming for a practically brand new large od alice bag I found on craigslist for $5

Total investment once it's done will be about $32

Frame is tan, straps are woodland, waist belt is woodland, and pack is od. It might look odd, but it will be one of a kind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_NH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Survivor

All of these MOLLE and ALICE rigs are good stuff. The key is to have something. Remember things break. I broke one ALICE frame in 28 years Lt. infantry. I never broke a MOLLE, but mororized infantry rides and they become a duffle bag!

A backup is smart. Family of 4 should have 5 packs (spare).
The Following User Says Thank You to Branned For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,434 Posts

Kev, I have two of them and I like them alot.

Both Desert DCU main packs with the seperate sleep system bags.

They are mixed.

Personally I prefer the desert pattern. It tends to blend in better with the grass 3 out of 4 season here in Virginia.

I just took my time and got the components on e-bay one item at a time and bid at the last minute on stuff that no one else did. (I got two main packs and two sleeping bag pouches for 15.99 + free shipping). The frames were a little more expensive.

I have the shoulder straps, waist belt and sustainment packs in Woodland Camo and the main and sleep packs in Desert Camo for one.

All Desert with the exception of the sustainemnt pouches in ACU Digital for the other.

I love these packs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anchorbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorbanger View Post
Kev, I have two of them and I like them alot.

Both Desert DCU main packs with the seperate sleep system bags.
Next month I will probably get a pair of those packs like what you have.

My son has a good daypack, light weight overnight pack. If we go on a 2 - 3 day trip, or a cold weather trip, I feel that his light pack will not be able to carry enough gear.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Prepared

I just ordered one from http://www.cjlenterprize.com/. $60 shipped. Kinda interested to see for myself how in measures against my medium ALICE pack.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Survivor

PhatForrest

If they come new, complete, and with the Sleep System Carrier it is the best deal at the present time that I can find. I think you will like these.

I still like my old ALICE rucks, but they are not generally as good of a deal unless very cheap. If I can find a good deal on the Woodland MOLLE ruck I may get one if new. REI hi-tech rucks are nice, $$$, and flashy, but I am low tech and steady.

As the Army goes to another uniform color for Afghanistan, maybe more MOLLE equipment will become surplus like ACU.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Parapup

sorry to necro this thread but I have assembled my molle ruck (10th mountain edition) with gen 4 frame, and when its all loaded up I hear some significant creaking of the straps on the polymer frame around the kidney belt area when i walk around.

do you guys have this on your packs?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,028 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a military pack like this for serious use. They are a bit heavier. They are made tough for soldiers to throw around and they save money by not having to replace them as fast. You do not need that thick of material in a practical way. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but a few extra pounds is a few extra days worth of food. For a bug out scenario, that is a serious consideration. For regular camping, not so much unless you are planning to go very long distances over a long period of time.

There are a lot of lightweight, yuppies packs but there are some civvie packs that still go healthy on the weight. I would recommend those over everything. Gregory packs are a good example.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Parapup

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a military pack like this for serious use. They are a bit heavier. They are made tough for soldiers to throw around and they save money by not having to replace them as fast. You do not need that thick of material in a practical way. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but a few extra pounds is a few extra days worth of food. For a bug out scenario, that is a serious consideration. For regular camping, not so much unless you are planning to go very long distances over a long period of time.

There are a lot of lightweight, yuppies packs but there are some civvie packs that still go healthy on the weight. I would recommend those over everything. Gregory packs are a good example.
I hear what you are saying, but I think that the mil stuff is built to a higher standard (ripstop, heavy duty zips etc). If god forbid I did need to use my BOB, I want to know that it's not going to rip right open if it gets caught on a blackberry bush.

There are many civvie packs that are just as well though. The arcteryx company made the marines an ILBE version which is basically the same pack that I have except with a cool marpat paint job. So it is possible to get good quality packs but you might have to pay a bit more for them.

To borrow from the old adage you can buy gear that is

1) durable

2) lightweight

3) cheap

Pick 2.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djthemac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Trapper

The packs are made tough because the GIs use them. And the MIL-SURP has to go through extensive R and D and testing to specs that will ensure the pack will not fail under extreme circumstances. Being thrown from a hovering chopper, or jumping out of plane, being thrown off cliffs and being able to withstand the battle loads that most civilians will never have to use.

Couple facts. The Molle System with Gen I or II or III frame weigh right in at 11 pounds.

Lg Alice Pack with frame 8 pounds

Medium Alice Pack with frame right under 7 pounds.

Alice system design changed very little over a 30 year period. They are tough and inexpensive to buy compared to packs of similar size and weight.

Lg Alice is rated for 80 pound battle loads.

Molle packs I believe are rated for 100 pound battle loads.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Survivor

Both have official ratings, but YOUR back is the only rating that counts.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Hiker

If you are lucky enough for an ALICE pack frame to fit you properly, there are a couple of companies out there that will modify your pack to add new features and bring it into the 21st century. Unfortunately, I'm 6'4" and ALICE frames have always been uncomfortable to me. The MOLLE system fits me a little better. The Marines complained about them being too bulky, but neglected to notice that the detachable assault pack was intended for urban combat while the main ruck was left behind.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Trapper

If by chance any of you are looking for Molle frames in black I have about 100 sitting in my garage that would like a new home.

I like the alice and molle system. I also like the CFP-90. The CFP-90 is hard to find in Mil-Surp in good condition. So I have used the Mil-specs and have found them acceptable.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversam1 View Post
If by chance any of you are looking for Molle frames in black I have about 100 sitting in my garage that would like a new home.

I like the alice and molle system. I also like the CFP-90. The CFP-90 is hard to find in Mil-Surp in good condition. So I have used the Mil-specs and have found them acceptable.
Silversam1 do you still have the molle frames in black? I am looking for a full molle 2 with frame both in black

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk