More long term storage food ideas - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Default More long term storage food ideas

Advertise Here

So I've got the more basic stuff rice beans canned meats working on getting some more veggies and fruits. But what are some other good things? Would stuff like chef boryadee be good as well? I'm thinking maybe nuts? Only nuts I can forage by me are acorns.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,934 Times in 1,061 Posts

Nuts shelf life is crap for long term storage since it is full of oil and that causes them to go bad in 2 years. You could buy powder peanut butter which doubles the shelf life https://www.beprepared.com/peanut-po...e-can?q=peanut

I dont think chef boyardee is considered long term but you could rotate them over the course of 2 years in your everyday meals.

I try to rotate all my canned food (veggies, meats, soups) out every year. You could go 2-3 years if you want but I prefer eating the stuff fresher so it taste a bit better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,002 Posts

What do you normally eat? Try and store that or ingredients for that.

Do you have wheat for bread? Sugar? Salt? Tea for caffeine?

Do you have water or a way to get and filter it?

Dehydrated milk can be handy. Sauces and spice mixes go a long way to making stored food better. Double you have a way to cook?

If you have cool storage a lot of fresh foods can keep for months, like, potatoes,onions, apples, oranges,cranberries,cabbage and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Red feather canned butter.
Waxed cheese stored properly can last 30 years.
Coffee.
5 gallon super pails of Rainy Day Hulled Buckweat. Is a great grain high in protein and Cheap!
More rice.
Don't forget about canning jars and lids
Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,552 Times in 987 Posts

I have added: dried soups; buillion cube's (not powder); large containers of dried gravy mixes; pasta's; more canned fish and old cookbooks.

Old cookbooks have a wealth of recipes using "basic ingredients". The older ones even had directions how to skin and cook wild game. Look around Flea Markets or yards sales in the areas of older homes. You can buy some for only a dollar or two. Older members of your family may have some "just to gift to you".
Old 08-26-2019, 05:05 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,225 Times in 18,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashshadow View Post
So I've got the more basic stuff rice beans canned meats working on getting some more veggies and fruits. But what are some other good things? Would stuff like chef boryadee be good as well? I'm thinking maybe nuts? Only nuts I can forage by me are acorns.
Slow down a bit if you have this much already.

Storage food is complicated. Everyone eats differently and every food has to be learned for storage ability.

Example is your nuts idea. Bad idea. Nut oils go rancid fast. But a nut tree in your yard puts out fresh ones every year. No need to figure out how to store them a long time if they replace themselves fresh with regularity.

It's involved like this for every food to some degree. It's not overly hard to learn. It's just a lot to read and remember.

Better advice is to spend year reading the food board here to soak it all in. You seem to be ready for over a month already, so you are ready for most common natural emergencies. Putting away a lot of food is expensive. People have actually caused their own private crisis investing too much money in food that they find out later were bad choices for them. Nothing worse to have big money sunk into food and realize a lot of it is marginal or unusable for you, so you end up facing more outlay.

Just hang out and read the food board for a while. See all the ideas and problems. Trust me, the television is trash during summer. This food board is more interesting than reruns and Big Brother. Go for the pinned threads on top of the board if you are on when the board is slow.

Reading is smarter before you open your wallet.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,744 Times in 770 Posts

Buy some canned stuff that you like. 6 or 7 cans a week won't break the budget
Old 08-30-2019, 02:13 PM
youtube.com/Kraka069

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashshadow View Post
Always eat what you store.

another idea
i like bear creek soup mixes also. Makes 8 cups, but you can just use 1/2-1 cup at a time if you want .
i like adding ground beef or turkey to them sometimes.

sometimes you can find them on sale
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/bea...SABEgIdCvD_BwE

a thread about this soup i found on here also
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=120035
Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,225 Times in 18,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraka069 View Post
Always eat what you store.

i like bear creek soup mixes also. Makes 8 cups, but you can just use 1/2-1 cup at a time if you want .
Take the Bear Creek Soups out of your storage food area and put them back in your kitchen pantry.

While tasty, they do not store well. We've had lots of reports the taste goes nasty at the expiration. It's the unsaturated fats going rancid.

I'm not saying they are bad everyday food. I'm just saying they are not storage food grade material.

They belong in your kitchen cabinet, not your emergency food storage system.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: