Florida's Drejka convicted of manslaughter... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,504 Times in 4,087 Posts
Default Florida's Drejka convicted of manslaughter...

Advertise Here

stand your ground conviction

video link (altercation starts at about 1:40): https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

Many will recall the videos of the guy confronting another guy in a handicap parking spot. Drejka was pushed down by McGlockton, Drejka than pulled his gun, shot and killed the other guy, McGlockton.

Some racial and political stuff added to the case, but Drejka, the defendant attempted to use stand-your-ground as his defense for justified homicide. It didn't work, and should have been used.

I said that when it happened initially, it didn't look like a good shoot, but is a good reminder that those who carry for self-defense need to continue to strive for conflict avoidance, de-escalation, and simply learn to walk away from any potential violent encounter. It's a sad situation despite all the atmospherics surrounding the case.

Once McGlockton back away after pushing Drejka down, you have to keep your anger in check. A simple 911 call and reporting the "assault" would have been the better part of valor. It just didn't seem like a sound "good shoot" and not the intended purpose of stand-your-ground.

I know it's hard for many to not get involved when you see some injustice, wrong-doing, or stupid behavior, but judgment of your actions needs constant exercise to avoid putting yourself in a potentially violent situation that could lead to the use of lethal force.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,633 Times in 535 Posts

Well said. Avoiding the situation is key. A "good shoot" is also known as "one of the worst days of your life", so it makes sense to not get in that position.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:19 AM
living in the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
stand your ground conviction

video link (altercation starts at about 1:40): https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

I know it's hard for many to not get involved when you see some injustice, wrong-doing, or stupid behavior, but judgment of your actions needs constant exercise to avoid putting yourself in a potentially violent situation that could lead to the use of lethal force.

ROCK6
People need to understand they are not LEO's. They are not armed to enforce laws.
I agree he should have just minded his own business. He started the whole altercation and after the push he should have walked away and reported it to police if he was that concerned.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,641 Times in 934 Posts

HE WAS lucky it was just manslaughter instead of a murder charge.

It almost seemed to automatic for him to get pushed, then pull the gun and shoot, as if he had thought it all out before hand, tick someone off get them so upset they do something to him...so he can shoot someone. .. ergo premeditation, making it murder
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,506 Times in 6,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
HE WAS lucky it was just manslaughter instead of a murder charge.

It almost seemed to automatic for him to get pushed, then pull the gun and shoot, as if he had thought it all out before hand, tick someone off get them so upset they do something to him...so he can shoot someone. .. ergo premeditation, making it murder
Shooter had a lengthy documented history of harassing people and making threats.

Ironically what started this was someone parked illegally. So he parks illegally to confront the individual and ends up shooting a guy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,487 Times in 3,652 Posts

During the police interview that day the cop told him it was risky to involve himself in situations like that, he said he was always careful. The cop asked how he was careful and he said he has a carry permit.
That means he felt having a gun empowered him to confront people as though he was in authority over them. He behaved opposite the way you should behave when carrying a gun.
It was just a matter of time before someone was unlucky enough to cross paths with him.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,504 Times in 4,087 Posts

My son (now 20 years old) and I discussed this case. He's a criminal justice major and also in ROTC on a scholarship. He has his CCW and his campus is allows concealed carry.

It's so easy to get into confrontations or point out what somebody else is doing is wrong. It's easy to get ticked off at pedestrians, other drivers, gestures or the behaviors of others.

Having a lethal means to defend yourself should make you far more aware of how to avoid conflict and de-escalate a bad situation. My son was taking classes with me as young as 16 years old and has several under his belt; he's well trained. What really impacted him was getting his concealed license and comprehending the fact that has the means to end the life of another and ruin his forever with a simple trigger pull. It's made him really put his temper in check, maintain situational awareness, avoid bad areas at bad times, has made him much more courteous than he already is, and he's learned conflict avoidance is the best part of valor. More importantly, he knows he has the capability to put holes in people and he's since become TCCC certified and taken a serious approach to knowing how to patch holes up in people (along with applying a CAT, stop bleeding, CPR, chest seal, etc.).

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM
New Libertarian

Thanked 11,811 Times in 4,759 Posts

If I was taking all sorts of professional classes/training I’d be keeping it as far under the radar as I could.

While I don’t want to get into the whole “don’t use reloads for self defense” garbage I could see where being a professionally trained shooter in some areas could end up a talking point on the news or an argument against you by an overzealous prosecutor who would claim you are “more” dangerous and “more” aware of the laws than the typical couch potato.

Just a thought, I’m sure I’m wrong but these are the things I think about while driving all day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,842 Times in 9,821 Posts

Law enforcement would have been crucified for that shoot and the city would be paying millions.

And in my opinion, he initiated the entire scenario. If he wouldn't have gone over at all, it wouldn't have happened. No different than when the church deacon stopped because of a tailgater and is now in prison for life, for murder... all because he initiated the confrontation.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

I think this guy should have gotten off. We should reform self defense laws to offer less protection to violent attackers.

The video looked a little bad. But the other side of this is that merely stepping back doesn’t eliminate a threat.

At least he got manslaughter not murder.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Law enforcement would have been crucified for that shoot and the city would be paying millions.

And in my opinion, he initiated the entire scenario. If he wouldn't have gone over at all, it wouldn't have happened. No different than when the church deacon stopped because of a tailgater and is now in prison for life, for murder... all because he initiated the confrontation.
Initiated ? He got hit from behind.

Rudely telling a woman to move her car from the handicapped space is NOT initiating a conflict.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 PM
New Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post

Rudely telling a woman to move her car from the handicapped space is NOT initiating a conflict.
I posted this in the other thread about this, Iíll do it one time here:

Dead guy walks out of the store and sees some angry wanna be mall cop yelling at his woman with the door hanging open.
If I were in the dead guys shoes and that was my daughter or girlfriend in that car I would assume it was an attempted carjacking.
I would then act accordingly.

This guy has a long history of conflict.
Claiming fear for your life after instigating a confrontation is not a reasonable claim for SYG.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:20 PM
New Libertarian

Here in PA, SYG cannot he used as a defense of you are committing a crime.
Is FL the same?
If a cop had witnessed Drejka accosting the woman in the car could he have been cited for something?

Running your piehole and then getting knocked on your ass because of it is not a justifiable reason to use deadly force and this jury agreed.

When you carry, don’t be stupid.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,428 Times in 5,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Here in PA, SYG cannot he used as a defense of you are committing a crime.
Is FL the same?
If a cop had witnessed Drejka accosting the woman in the car could he have been cited for something?

Running your piehole and then getting knocked on your ass because of it is not a justifiable reason to use deadly force and this jury agreed.

When you carry, donít be stupid.
Especially when you already have a history with the police. Talking with another acquaintance, he thinks the fall was *staged* to appear as more than what it was. I don't know; didn't watch the video. Point is, shooter should not have strapped on his "Big Iron" and anointed himself Chief Parking Spot Enforcer". That wasn't his job.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,842 Times in 9,821 Posts

Quote:

Well, tell that to the jury of the man that is rotting in prison. He was been chased by a tailgater for 7 miles. When he stopped, the other guy did too. Their decision was based on the fact that he shouldn't have stopped in the first place...

Same here. He shouldn't have ever stopped. If he had a problem, he should let law enforcement take care of it. I'm pretty sure his history had a lot to do with his intention as well.

I'm all for protecting yourself, but this guy instigated a confrontation because he anticipated the opportunity to use his firearm... and he did. Now he's going to jail. All he did, was give the "other side" fuel in their argument about owning firearms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
My son (now 20 years old) and I discussed this case. He's a criminal justice major and also in ROTC on a scholarship. He has his CCW and his campus is allows concealed carry.

It's so easy to get into confrontations or point out what somebody else is doing is wrong. It's easy to get ticked off at pedestrians, other drivers, gestures or the behaviors of others.

Having a lethal means to defend yourself should make you far more aware of how to avoid conflict and de-escalate a bad situation. My son was taking classes with me as young as 16 years old and has several under his belt; he's well trained. What really impacted him was getting his concealed license and comprehending the fact that has the means to end the life of another and ruin his forever with a simple trigger pull. It's made him really put his temper in check, maintain situational awareness, avoid bad areas at bad times, has made him much more courteous than he already is, and he's learned conflict avoidance is the best part of valor. More importantly, he knows he has the capability to put holes in people and he's since become TCCC certified and taken a serious approach to knowing how to patch holes up in people (along with applying a CAT, stop bleeding, CPR, chest seal, etc.).

ROCK6
Pro boxers get in less street fights for a reason. One that trains and understands the consequences postures themselves to avoid conflicts before they can ever arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
I posted this in the other thread about this, I’ll do it one time here:

Dead guy walks out of the store and sees some angry wanna be mall cop yelling at his woman with the door hanging open.
If I were in the dead guys shoes and that was my daughter or girlfriend in that car I would assume it was an attempted carjacking.
I would then act accordingly.
Great point. I think we can all understand wanting to protect your family in a stressful situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,130 Times in 5,681 Posts

I have had jerks in parking lots and ignored them trying to egg on a fight .
One event I continued into the store and on my way out had an employee walk out with me in the event I needed a witness . fortunately trouble left .
Old 08-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,641 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
I think this guy should have gotten off. We should reform self defense laws to offer less protection to violent attackers.

The video looked a little bad. But the other side of this is that merely stepping back doesnít eliminate a threat.

At least he got manslaughter not murder.
THIS is a joke right?

You are saying that if someone offends you then walks away you should be able to shoot him/her in the back with total impunity while stating SYG/SD?
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,866 Times in 7,118 Posts

Look on the bright side. Two idiots are off the streets both paid a higher price than they imagined.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,103 Posts

The shooter was an idiot. First for making a stink over a parking space. It was rude to park in the space if they didn't need it, but hardly worth getting worked up over. Second, for firing after the assailant had turned away. If the guy had continued the attack the shooter might have had some justification of being in fear for his life or grievous bodily injury.
Having said that, the other dude was an idiot, too, if they knowingly parked in the handicap spot. He didn't seem to have any need of it. More so, because he over-reacted to the situation. I certainly wouldn't take kindly to someone harassing my wife but I would not react physically unless I saw that she was physically in danger.
I think they both played stupid games and both won stupid prizes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post: