Securing your cabin in a remote location - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,402 Times in 442 Posts
Default Securing your cabin in a remote location

Advertise Here

Hey Folks,

I recently drafted up a set of plans for a remote cabin build. That cabin would be about 20 miles away from my existing house in a more rural community.

Basically I'll build a 144' Square cabin on septic with a small solar backup and some water storage.

I'm hesitant to call it a bug out location but in my mind it's certainly some place to go in a worst case scenario. Loss of home etc.

It's on 1 acre and is pretty well situated for a small hobby type homestead.

As in so many rural areas the "Meth Zombies" seem to have taken over inhabiting any remote structure where they can squat and get high. It's a very large problem in rural Central Florida.

My question is about securing the property and just about the only thing I can think of is an alarm system tied onto the cellular network.

I know some of you here have remote properties.....how do you secure them?

I many not see this property for 60-90 days at a time.

Thoughts?

HK
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,760 Times in 777 Posts

60-90 days?
All your doing is building the tweakers a free house.
Maybe get a connex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 05:36 PM
VIP Member

How hard is it to find or get to ? Can anybody look in on it ? What about remote cameras.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 PM
begger of beer

Have a friend with a similar set up, in north Florida. He has not had an issue, because he has good neighbors that keep an eye on the place. Also boards over the windows and door with 3/4 plywood.

If it were me, I'd have a cellular game camera looking at the entrance or inside. That way it would send you pictures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
Have a friend with a similar set up, in north Florida. He has not had an issue, because he has good neighbors that keep an eye on the place. Also boards over the windows and door with 3/4 plywood.

If it were me, I'd have a cellular game camera looking at the entrance or inside. That way it would send you pictures.
You can get cellular and satellite alarms
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,242 Posts

I never did it. But I was thinking of just building a basic shelter and have an RV that I would drive up there that had the kitchen and bathroom in it.
The shelter would be a simple room with fireplace that could not be burned down and little in it to steal. If needed one could bring the doors and windows with you on arriving and take them away on leaving. The RV would have the generator, fridge, bathroom, etc in it if an outhouse was not sufficient. I am not sure how to protect a well if you have one.
Be prepared to patch bullet holes and clean up human waste. The woods these days are full of dopers cooking meth and other things.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,355 Times in 1,664 Posts

Put the windows up high. So high that the bottom of the window is about chin high from indoors, you can have light, and walk up to the window to see out but they can't see or get in. Use 1/4" plex a glass for window (Plastic) and make the windows about 16" high by about 32" wide. This give a lot of light, and if you keep your ladder inside they can't get up there from outside unless they bring a ladder. If they do then they still have the 1/4 Plexiglas to penetrate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,355 Times in 1,664 Posts

Wow America sounds like it is full of yucky bad people.......sure glad I don't live there...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,830 Times in 2,394 Posts

Surround the cabin with 8 foot chainlink fencing? Won't be pretty but will keep out curious people. Another option is to hire someone to check on the property on a weekly basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,402 Times in 442 Posts

This property does have neighbors and is in a non-wooded area. When you get rural there tends to be a substantial amount of space between homes though.

Windows will be high up....but there is a porch and a sliding door.

I can use the 3M security film for the windows.

Door and window are easily fixed.....my larger concerns are with the power inverters, batteries and what little things i have in the house.

In an ideal world I'd like to store some food and wather there as well as some tools.

I suppose I could look into some type of shutters but damn they are ugly when you put them up.

HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I never did it. But I was thinking of just building a basic shelter and have an RV that I would drive up there that had the kitchen and bathroom in it.
The shelter would be a simple room with fireplace that could not be burned down and little in it to steal. If needed one could bring the doors and windows with you on arriving and take them away on leaving. The RV would have the generator, fridge, bathroom, etc in it if an outhouse was not sufficient. I am not sure how to protect a well if you have one.
Be prepared to patch bullet holes and clean up human waste. The woods these days are full of dopers cooking meth and other things.
That is a good idea.
An fire proof empty shell with no door, would not be appealing dopers.

You could take the door hardware with you instead of the whole door.

A few dry cow patties on the floor would ruin the mood for a moocher, without making a mess.

Also a hidden damper in the chimney would smoke up the place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,376 Posts

Get yourself a sheriff who goes after Meth makers. Our guy cleared up the entire meth population in our county in about 2 years. Word's out - don't go there, you'll just end up in the slam.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,186 Times in 3,167 Posts

If the place is only 20 miles away......why are you only checking on it every 60-90 days?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,760 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
Surround the cabin with 8 foot chainlink fencing? Won't be pretty but will keep out curious people. Another option is to hire someone to check on the property on a weekly basis.
Fences will only keep out the cripples.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,786 Times in 1,741 Posts

I just got a new homestead and have a similar situation, though I go up there once or twice a week to train. What's your budget?

My Grandfather had his broken into. Put electrified bars on the windows and wired the door to a 12ga. These days that could get you 25 to life.

You can build out of cinder block filled with rebar and concrete. Use heavy duty bars on the windows and a vault door. https://www.libertysafe.com/safe-vau...fes-ps-13.html

I'm going to do block construction with a heavy steel door. High end safe inside, multiple buried caches, and battery powered alarms. High end safes are very hard to crack, but nothing is impenetrable ergo the buried caches. https://monovault.com/index.php?opti..._category_id=6

There's no cell service and satellite subscriptions for cameras are very expensive. I just use regular game cameras which only provide evidence after the fact, but I put up signage and bad guys know they are being filmed. All the spent brass laying around lets them know what's coming if they get caught.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
I just got a new homestead and have a similar situation, though I go up there once or twice a week to train. What's your budget?

My Grandfather had his broken into. Put electrified bars on the windows and wired the door to a 12ga. These days that could get you 25 to life.

You can build out of cinder block filled with rebar and concrete. Use heavy duty bars on the windows and a vault door. https://www.libertysafe.com/safe-vau...fes-ps-13.html

I'm going to do block construction with a heavy steel door. High end safe inside, multiple buried caches, and battery powered alarms. High end safes are very hard to crack, but nothing is impenetrable ergo the buried caches. https://monovault.com/index.php?opti..._category_id=6

There's no cell service and satellite subscriptions for cameras are very expensive. I just use regular game cameras which only provide evidence after the fact, but I put up signage and bad guys know they are being filmed. All the spent brass laying around lets them know what's coming if they get caught.
Suggestions on the safes. Make them bigger than the doors and put them in place prior to putting the walls up. In more urban settings thieves have stolen tow trucks to snatch safes out of business to cart off for cracking elsewhere.

when building use a lot of horizontal runs of rebar and maybe use a horizontal runs of number 5 rebar just about the door.

Remember if they have a portable saw they can get through just about anything that is practical to build.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,892 Times in 9,539 Posts

Four yrs ago I was in the process of moving from Cali to my land in Oklahoma. I had a power line on to my property, but no buildings.
I built a 32x24 ft pole barn, with a concrete floor, and a 12ft wide shed roof on one side. I hooked power to my new building and a septic dump.

As soon as I got my property moved, I backed my 30ft 5th wheel under the shed roof, hooked it to a 2,500 gal water tank, and the septic.
This became my temp housing until I got my log home built. Then I will mount my machine tools, reloading bench, and store my boat there in winter.

I left the doors wide open for the four months my shop building sat empty. Nieghbor horses grazing my land left manure, but no evidence of druggies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,085 Posts

In a situation like that, I’d sign up with the local security company. Via WiFi if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,786 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Suggestions on the safes. Make them bigger than the doors and put them in place prior to putting the walls up. In more urban settings thieves have stolen tow trucks to snatch safes out of business to cart off for cracking elsewhere.

when building use a lot of horizontal runs of rebar and maybe use a horizontal runs of number 5 rebar just about the door.

Remember if they have a portable saw they can get through just about anything that is practical to build.
Great tips.

Agreed nothing is 100% secure. Buried cashes are as good as it gets. There's nothing above ground I'm married to, but I'd rather not lose it anyway. Safe is for stashing stuff we bring with and leave for short periods of time while out and about. Full concrete structure would be ideal, but there's no way a shotcrete rig is getting up there.

Roof is the weak point. Haven't worked that out yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,908 Times in 2,567 Posts

`

Might want to look at something like this.
`

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8BDO1S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJ9S0W2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DO407Q
`

Maybe look at those systems you can hook up a camera to send you video if motion is detected & let you speak to anyone within earshot of the speaker.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post: