Advertise Here

Old 08-22-2019, 02:25 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,460 Times in 3,182 Posts
Default Request for Assistance from Brothers And Sisters In Christ

Advertise Here

CHRISTIAN ONLY, PLEASE

Request for Assistance:

I am currrently working on a project and could use some help (please). If you could only provide 10-12 books from your denomination/directly applicable to your denomination’s beliefs/theology/doctrine to a missionary, pastor, family, etc., what would they be? Important: sets count as one book. Assume English language (specifytranslation/edition if necessary). Also, please specify the denomination.

I am not looking for discussion right now; only the short lists. Any differences of opinion between two people of the same denomination will be apparent by differences in the lists. Dependingon results, I may have some specific questions.

Thanks!

Here is my example:

Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS):

1. Lutheran Study Bible (English Standard Version ESV)
2. The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes (ESV), with StudyGuide to the Apocrypha (Set)
3. Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible
4. Lutheran Service Book (LSB), withAgenda, Concordance, Liturgy Accompaniament, Hymn Accompaniament, Altar Book,Pastoral Care Companion (Set)
5. Luther’s Works, American Version,Volumes 1-79 (Set)
6. Vogel’s Cross Reference and Index to theContents of Luther’s works
7. Concordia: The LutheranConfessions: A Readers Edition of the Book of Concord, 2nd edition
8. Chemnitz’ Works, Volumes 1-10 (Set)
9. The Lutheran Difference
10. Lutheran Book of Prayer, with Lutheran Prayer Companion (Set)
11. Henry Morris KJV Study Bible
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 03:09 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,078 Times in 10,185 Posts

I don't know if I can come up with 12 right now but here are a few off the top of my head. Good luck!

1. Bible - NIV
2. Bible - Life Application
3. Grace & Truth by Brenda Young
4. Victory Over Darkness by Neal Anderson
5. Freedom in Christ series by Neal Anderson
6. Why Christians Should Support Israel by John Hagee
7. Leader in You by John Maxwell
8. Goals: How to Get the Most Out of Your Life by Goals by zig ziglar
9. Embrace the Struggle: Living Life on Life's Terms by zig ziglar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,050 Posts

1. The Orthodox Bible (Contains the most Bible books compared to the Catholic Bible or any Protestant Bible).

2. Synaxarion (Lives of the Saints) - many volumes and each nation has a few saints that the other nations volumes do not contain)

3. Philokalia (Collection of Holy Fathers meditations on the deepest mysteries of Christian faith)

4. The Saying of the Desert Fathers (Contains the saying and actions of the Fathers of the Dessert, some of the greatest Saints that walked this earth, appreciated by the entire Traditional Church)

5. The Ladder of Divine Ascent (by Saint John Climacus or "of the Ladder", book that shows in 30 spiritual levels all the transformation a soul needs to have before being considered one with God as per the command from Jesus "Be perfect").

6. The Art of Prayer (A spiritual anthology drawn from the Greek and Russian traditions, concerned in particular with the most frequently used and best loved of all Orthodox prayers--the Jesus Prayer. https://www.amazon.ca/Art-Prayer-Ort.../dp/0571191657)

7. Ecclesiastical History (by Eusebius of Caesarea)

8. The Five Theological Orations of Saint Gregory of Nazianzus

9. The Complete Bible Commentaries of Saint John Chrysostom (Bible commentaries by one of the greatest theologians that ever lived, that received the nicknamed from the Church "the Golden mouthed" https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Comm.../dp/B005ZK989O

10. Saint Basil the Great Homilies - or "Words/Orations" (all his books are theologically definitory for advanced Christian faith)

11. An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith by Saint John of Damascus (This book is unofficially known as "the Dogmatic", a summary of the dogmatic writings of the Early Church Fathers)

12. ON THE EIGHT DEADLY SINS by Saint John Cassian (Book that defined Western theology for one full millennium and was later superseded by heresies that started in the Catholic Church and then went into Protestantism. You want to meet clear theology of the pre-Protestantism and pre-Schism Church in the West? This is the book.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,078 Times in 10,185 Posts

Excellent list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
1. The Orthodox Bible (Contains the most Bible books compared to the Catholic Bible or any Protestant Bible).
I did not know (or forgot about) the Orthodox Bible containing more books than the Catholics.

Is there a particular translation or Orthodox Study Bible you'd recommend? For instance, I have the Every Man's Bible NLT. Not what my church uses but is outstanding in how it summarizes and spot lights things important to men.

Quote:
12. ON THE EIGHT DEADLY SINS by Saint John Cassian (Book that defined Western theology for one full millennium and was later superseded by heresies that started in the Catholic Church and then went into Protestantism. You want to meet clear theology of the pre-Protestantism and pre-Schism Church in the West? This is the book.)
I never even heard of THE EIGHT DEADLY SINS. Thanks for providing this list.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Excellent list!
I did not know (or forgot about) the Orthodox Bible containing more books than the Catholics.
Yes. There is a difference. The Orthodox Bible was the Bible for more aprox. one millennium, then the Catholics removed these books:

Books 3 & 4 Maccabees
Psalm 151
The Prayer of Manasseh in Chronicles
1 Esdras

Protestant Bible removed way more. You can see here good wiki info-table:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible

Quote:
Is there a particular translation or Orthodox Study Bible you'd recommend? For instance, I have the Every Man's Bible NLT. Not what my church uses but is outstanding in how it summarizes and spot lights things important to men.
After 30 years of great work done by tens of selected Orthodox theologians in the West the result is this very new:

The Orthodox Study Bible, Hardcover: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World

https://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Stud.../dp/0718003594

Some English language terms used are a bit archaic for my taste compared to my Romanian Bible that uses modern language terms or other English Bibles I read. But it is very readable. Also it is the Correct (Orthodox) Bible.

Quote:
I never even heard of THE EIGHT DEADLY SINS. Thanks for providing this list.
Great book explaining so much of the spiritual war inside us and how to identify the enemy (our sins) and defeat it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,083 Times in 3,316 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
There are 8 volumes in this set.

[IMG][/IMG]
Orthodox spiritual writings.

[IMG][/IMG]
The liturgical texts for celebrations on the Menaion are contained in twelve volumes called menaia. Each menaion will contain the services for an entire month. The menaion contains the largest collection of liturgical texts that are used in the Eastern Church, and is a very important component of the liturgical books owned by a parish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,331 Times in 18,522 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

1) The King James Version of the Holy Bible
2) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
3) Foxe's Book of Martyrs
4) Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)
5) The Trail of Blood (James Carroll)
6) Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis)

I have a lot more to add but I don't have access to my library at the moment and I have an appointment in a few minutes.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,371 Posts

1. Church approved Bible with Imprimatur (RSV-CE, Douay-Rheims, jerusalem bible, etc)
2. a Catholic commentary for the bible. Navarre, Haydock commentary etc.
3. Writings of the Ante Nicene and Post-Nicene fathers
4. catechism of the catholic church
5. Missal 1962 and current
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:17 AM

ESPECIALLY TO THE CATHOLICS AND ORTHODOX, BUT ANY CHRISTIAN--

Is there any reason no one mentioned the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (ACCS)? I personally like it because what *everyone* wrote about a certain passage, etc. is all together so I can compare...

I also like the 38 volume Early Church Fathers (with Index Patristicus) for when I just want to read one or two and see what they said about many things. I *assume* this is the set Sloth was referring to?

Thank you to everyone (again)

Please keep the answers coming
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Yes. There is a difference. The Orthodox Bible was the Bible for more aprox. one millennium, then the Catholics removed these books:

Books 3 & 4 Maccabees
Psalm 151
The Prayer of Manasseh in Chronicles
1 Esdras

Protestant Bible removed way more. You can see here good wiki info-table:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible

Wonder when the Catholics removed the books? Luther's Bible (1534) and the 1611 edition of the King James Version both had all the books (later KJV often do not). Luther did label books, which most Protestant Bibles today omit, "Apocrypha," instead of Deutercanonical. I suppose that's why various Protestant publishers and Protestant denominations thought it was OK to omit them LCMS included (Lutheran Study Bible), although they do separately publish the Apocrypha and a study guide to go with it LCMS stopped using Bibles with Apocrypha when they changed from German to English
https://blogs.lcms.org/2012/cph-publ...n-of-apocrypha
http://biblecollectors.org/articles/..._lutherans.htm

Even today, the revisions continue... some publishers have removed some verses in the "modern versions" http://www.av1611.org/biblevs.html
Some "modern versions'" wording also change/appear to change the meaning of some verses http://www.av1611.org/biblecom.html The worst of these are the *gender-neutral Bibles*
http://www.bible-researcher.com/gender.html
https://creation.com/gender-neutral-bible-translations

Thanks, Cat and Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,252 Times in 2,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
CHRISTIAN ONLY, PLEASE

Request for Assistance:

I am currrently working on a project and could use some help (please). If you could only provide 10-12 books from your denomination/directly applicable to your denominationís beliefs/theology/doctrine to a missionary, pastor, family, etc., what would they be? Important: sets count as one book. Assume English language (specifytranslation/edition if necessary). Also, please specify the denomination.

I am not looking for discussion right now; only the short lists. Any differences of opinion between two people of the same denomination will be apparent by differences in the lists. Dependingon results, I may have some specific questions.

Thanks!

Here is my example:

Lutheran ChurchóMissouri Synod (LCMS):

1. Lutheran Study Bible (English Standard Version ESV)
2. The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes (ESV), with StudyGuide to the Apocrypha (Set)
3. Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible
4. Lutheran Service Book (LSB), withAgenda, Concordance, Liturgy Accompaniament, Hymn Accompaniament, Altar Book,Pastoral Care Companion (Set)
5. Lutherís Works, American Version,Volumes 1-79 (Set)
6. Vogelís Cross Reference and Index to theContents of Lutherís works
7. Concordia: The LutheranConfessions: A Readers Edition of the Book of Concord, 2nd edition
8. Chemnitzí Works, Volumes 1-10 (Set)
9. The Lutheran Difference
10. Lutheran Book of Prayer, with Lutheran Prayer Companion (Set)
11. Henry Morris KJV Study Bible

Iíd add The Augsburg Confession to that list. Certainly an important document in the reformation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajohn View Post
I’d add The Augsburg Confession to that list. Certainly an important document in the reformation.

Thank you... good thought... if you're not familiar with the Book of Concord, you'd have no way of knowing, or even suspecting, the Augsburg Confession and the Apology are both in there Good chance it would've been on my list if BOC didn't have it (along with a bunch of other important stuff

But thank you
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
ESPECIALLY TO THE CATHOLICS AND ORTHODOX, BUT ANY CHRISTIAN--

Is there any reason no one mentioned the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (ACCS)? I personally like it because what *everyone* wrote about a certain passage, etc. is all together so I can compare...

I also like the 38 volume Early Church Fathers (with Index Patristicus) for when I just want to read one or two and see what they said about many things. I *assume* this is the set Sloth was referring to?

Thank you to everyone (again)

Please keep the answers coming
I haven't heard of the ACCS. I will have to look into that.

Yes, that is the one. the 38 volume Hendrickson Publishers writings of the church fathers.

I haven't had much dealings with the physical copy I mainly just go to
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

My favorite commentary is probably the Navarre Bible series. I like it because it is a really good bible translation, along with the "new" Vulgate and it has really good commentary as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post: