Frozen 1/4lb hamburger patties recommendations. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,391 Times in 10,398 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
Mayo and ketchup? Don't they sell bbq sauce there? Bullseye or even the new heinz?

just pulling your chain for the most part, people eat what they like to eat, but my wife is the first person I ever saw eat their burgers that way and I give her **** about it all the time.
I am a mayo and ketchup user also. I used to like tarter sauce and ketchup but it is hard to get a good dill tarter sauce that I like.

My hamburger has mayo on bottom bun, patty, slice of either Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onion, slice of tomato, dill pickle, lettuce, cheese and ketchup if ingredients available. With all the ingredients a thick hamburger patty takes up too much space. Especially since my mouth is small and I never got into the hang of unhinging my lower jaw.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I am a mayo and ketchup user also. I used to like tarter sauce and ketchup but it is hard to get a good dill tarter sauce that I like.

My hamburger has mayo on bottom bun, patty, slice of either Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onion, slice of tomato, dill pickle, lettuce, cheese and ketchup if ingredients available. With all the ingredients a thick hamburger patty takes up too much space. Especially since my mouth is small and I never got into the hang of unhinging my lower jaw.
I was hoping for a good answer to your OP. I too would like the convenience of being able to toss together a quick burger with no fuss no muss. My wife always mixed mustard, ketchup and mayo and put it on the top bun.

When I was grilling sometimes I would just slap one in a bun with no fixings and eat it as I finished grilling. Or maybe run in the house for a slice of sweet onion.

For fish sandwiches we liked tartar sauce but couldn't find a brand we like so we just used pickle relish in mayo (sometimes mixed on the bun).

Now I'm hungry, since we don't have an answer I may just buy a box of White Castle sliders and eat a couple or more for dinner. Not the best, but edible (better with relish).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,012 Posts

If you live in TX, it seems it is a sin to ask for anything other than Mustard on a hamburger. I always asked for Mayo and would be called a Yankee by the locals for it.

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider86 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
If you live in TX, it seems it is a sin to ask for anything other than Mustard on a hamburger. I always asked for Mayo and would be called a Yankee by the locals for it.

Mark
That brings back memories of when I moved to Arkansas 21 years ago. I had stopped into a Sonic and ordered a burger. It came with mustard and no ketchup. Thinking that this was a simple oversight on someones part I took it up to the window (Drive in place) and asked for some ketchup for my burger. The gal behind the counter looked like she was about to have a cow. She explained that their burgers did not come with ketchup (The idea!) and was not sure that she should could give me some. I guess I was lucky that I was not followed back to my truck by some good old boys and taught a lesson for being a "dang furriner".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Prepared

I press my own with a LEM press with plastic sheets. Stack them in a meat tub and freeze them. Separate and vacuum pack. Every fall/winter I put at least 40lbs of premade patties in the freezer. I have found that 1/2 deer meat and 1/2 wild hog makes the best burgers. I make some 1/4ish pound for hamburgers and 1/3-1/2 pounds for burger steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,217 Times in 18,938 Posts

Quote:
That brings back memories of when I moved to Arkansas 21 years ago. I had stopped into a Sonic and ordered a burger. It came with mustard and no ketchup. Thinking that this was a simple oversight on someones part I took it up to the window (Drive in place) and asked for some ketchup for my burger. The gal behind the counter looked like she was about to have a cow. She explained that their burgers did not come with ketchup (The idea!) and was not sure that she should could give me some. I guess I was lucky that I was not followed back to my truck by some good old boys and taught a lesson for being a "dang furriner".
Yeah, we don't do mayo on burgers or fries here.

Surprised that ketchup and mustard together were objectionable though. Since it's used on fries it's all going to end up in your stomach.

Sonic isn't our best showing anyway. Dairy Queen and Whataburger are. Whataburger won't blink at special requests either. If you say nothing you'll get mustard only, but they pride themselves doing a burger anyway you want it. If the counter idiot blinks at your request the manager will slap them aside and tell you yessir. Whataburger is our kind of safe space.

Regardless of your local logistical problems, I'm pretty sure that pressing a big batch of patties for the freezer is going to end up being your best bet. Solving QC of someone else's work is typically done by doing it yourself. If you've been buying frozen boxes already then you have the freezer space and even some boxes to organize your labor. The nonfood consumables needed to make patties are at every restaurant supply house. It just boils down to nailing down your meat supply. Just go find the beef you can accept the price of and burn up a Saturday afternoon on your kitchen counter.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,693 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Back when I was a young sprout my appetite was prodigious. If I ate that way now I would be either be dead or hideously obese. The metabolism slows as you age. Not to mention that in my family we tend to get skinnier as we grow old.

So no more eating 8 pieces of fried chicken as a snack before dinner. Or downing 43 slices of pizza during at all you can eat pizza nite (not counting the 3 pitchers of Coke and assorted potato wedges).

My diet is now down to about 2-3000 calories a day versus the 8-10,000
Careful! This thread is just for suggestions on where to buy frozen meat.
Google: "frozen hamburger patties".
Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
Careful! This thread is just for suggestions on where to buy frozen meat.
Google: "frozen hamburger patties".
Did ramble off topic for a bit. Happens (shrugs) and I did Google 1/4lb hamburger and got a few places to research. I think I mentioned I ordered from one that I had found? Got notice of shipment last evening and should arrive on Wednesday.

Hard to keep focus so thanks for straightening me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,405 Times in 4,917 Posts

Bubba Burgers of course, we don't buy anything else, they are juicy and tasty, they are pricey but we don't eat hamburgers that often, I put them on the George Foremen grill directly from the freezer and they are done to perfection in 7-8 minutes. Not sure if you can buy them online but every place around here sells them minus places like Aldis
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
Bubba Burgers of course, ... Not sure if you can buy them online but every place around here sells them minus places like Aldis
Walmart sells them but they are 1/3 lb.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,405 Times in 4,917 Posts

Quote:
Walmart sells them but they are 1/3 lb.
After cooking for 7-8 minutes they fit perfectly on a hamburger bun with just the right amount over the edges of the bun about an 1/8 of an inch. We will eat no other frozen hamburger...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Don't get me started

I received my order this afternoon. Although the weather has been hot the last few days (over 100F with heat index) it arrived still frozen with only a small amount of thaw on some of the hamburger packages. The shipping box had dry ice as a method to maintain the freeze and a good amount was still intact when it arrived. I am including some pictures of the order below.

I had hoped to use my gas grill to cook a couple of the burgers but by the evening the heat had kicked up a thunder storm and rain downpour. So I used my George Foreman electric grill inside instead.

My impressions: After opening one of the the packs of four burgers I was able to separate the frozen patties using a butter knife. The wax paper was a bit difficult to peel off since it was partly frozen into the edges of the burgers. I cooked the patties for 5 minutes and they came out slightly pink inside and moist. The taste and flavor was quite good but I did encounter a couple of pieces of gristle. I would say they are much better overall than the ones I can get from Walmart or Aldis. However at a little more than $2/patty I am not entirely convinced if the better quality is worth the higher price. I have suffered no gastric distress from eating them about 4 hours ago now.

I will avoid including selfies of me fondling my meat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box with dry ice.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	290740   Click image for larger version

Name:	shipping box.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	290742   Click image for larger version

Name:	hamburger.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	290744   Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck roasts.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	290746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top sirloin.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	290748   Click image for larger version

Name:	grilling.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	290750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamburgers.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	290752  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

$2 a patty is a bit steep, imo.

It's also a price that widens your fresh meat shopping options for DIY.

In any case, I said it all before. No sense in me belaboring it.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
$2 a patty is a bit steep, imo.

It's also a price that widens your fresh meat shopping options for DIY.

In any case, I said it all before. No sense in me belaboring it.
Agree, though shopping options are far less that you realize compared to the highly urban location that you live. Houston is a city of 2.3 million. The whole state of Arkansas has only 3 million and most of that is in specific locations.

ETA: As a illustrative account. Many years back, in the city my dad and I would do our shopping in, a fellow opened up a seafood and fish market. Before this there was virtually no fresh seafood in the area with the exception of catfish, shrimp and Atlantic salmon (farm raised). My dad was a big seafood fan (having grown up in the Puget Sound region seafood was plentiful and of good quality) and I enjoy some if it is of the best quality, so we bought from this market several times. After about a year we see the "Going out of business" signs so we ask the owner what was up. He told us that the cost of bringing in the fish and seafood and the amount of local customers willing to pay for the best quality meant that he could not make any profit. Since then it has only gotten worse locally to buy the best or even acceptable fish and seafood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Agree, though shopping options are far less that you realize compared to the highly urban location that you live. Houston is a city of 2.3 million. The whole state of Arkansas has only 3 million and most of that is in specific locations.

ETA: As a illustrative account. Many years back, in the city my dad and I would do our shopping in, a fellow opened up a seafood and fish market. Before this there was virtually no fresh seafood in the area with the exception of catfish, shrimp and Atlantic salmon (farm raised). My dad was a big seafood fan (having grown up in the Puget Sound region seafood was plentiful and of good quality) and I enjoy some if it is of the best quality, so we bought from this market several times. After about a year we see the "Going out of business" signs so we ask the owner what was up. He told us that the cost of bringing in the fish and seafood and the amount of local customers willing to pay for the best quality meant that he could not make any profit. Since then it has only gotten worse locally to buy the best or even acceptable fish and seafood.
I have no doubt that my city access affords me advantages.

But I still use certain methods to squeeze the deals even more.

Chief is to use the internet to be ready to find and snatch the best local deals.

Online weekly ad flyers are ubiquitous now. It helps that the only initial investment is personal time.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Joing this a bit late, but the best frozen 1/4# burgers are available in COSTCO in plastic sleeve. Grill them at about 350 degrees from frozen. Turn when blood appears on surface, flip them over and cook anouther 1-2 minutes. Delicious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viper tom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,386 Times in 1,899 Posts

You guys are lucky you are not in California. You would get ranch dressing on your burger and fries. I picked up some burgers at the local market. They had lots of spices and other stuff in the. BBQ'd dry and nasty. I think 80% is good to BBQ everything else 90%. Just remember. you get what you pay for, or less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Don't get me started

I was able to grill up one of the Top Sirloins steaks from my order last evening between the rain storms. Major disappointment. Tough as all get out. Either they did not age the beef or the method of being only grass fed (regardless of it being "natural", "healthy", "free the Earth" kind of thing) makes for tough beef. The taste was good but I had trouble cutting it with a sharp steak knife. The rest of the steaks I will have to try tenderizing before grilling.

I had looked at the customer reviews for the steak, before including it in my order, on the sellers website and they were all glowing with how tender the meat was and that it was near as good as Filet Mignon. Either I got a bad batch or these people deluded themselves that because the beef was expensive, and all natural, it must be good. I have noticed this when people invest in buying certain things that to admit the purchase was less than they expected becomes a badge of shame. Instead they extol it. Never fully understood that. I guess it is a feeling that to admit to it would be the same as saying they made a mistake. People seem to hate that.

Good steak you can cut with a knife, great steak you can cut with your fork.

Oh well you never know sometimes you just have to hope and try.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,592 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:

I had looked at the customer reviews for the steak, before including it in my order, on the sellers website and they were all glowing with how tender the meat was and that it was near as good as Filet Mignon. Either I got a bad batch or these people deluded themselves that because the beef was expensive, and all natural, it must be good. I have noticed this when people invest in buying certain things that to admit the purchase was less than they expected becomes a badge of shame. Instead they extol it. Never fully understood that. I guess it is a feeling that to admit to it would be the same as saying they made a mistake. People seem to hate that.
I does seem to be getting harder and harder to trust internet reviews anymore. Also, I agree with your point about people extolling the virtues of a product even though it clearly sucks.

My own Pop is like that. He'll research something for a bit then purchase. Once he gets the item, it could clearly not work as intended or just plain be junk. However he acts as though is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So yeah, I don't get it either.

I also think more and more reviews are paid writers putting out fake reviews. I don't know If I trust reviews at all anymore.

But, then there's your review here and frankly I trust your single review more than I would a hundred 5-star reviews. At least we know you're a real person...I think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,196 Posts

What hamburger press is recommended for occasional use, metal or plastic?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: