Making a reference binder - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Making a reference binder

Advertise Here

So I decided that my prep for Fall 2019 (I like to break stuff down by calendar year season) is going to be to at least TRY to get some reference material assembled in print. OK maybe its partially motivated by the fact that most of my information is saved digitally and we just purchased a good laser jet printer so printing is no longer exorbitantly expensive. Anyways, I'd like to hear about what others would think is important information to keep and how they would organize it. Below is my initial brain storming.

Main Binder:
rifle zeros, detailed
water purification (boil, bleach,filter)
comms frequencies and check in schedule
first aid? peds med dosing?
common conversions
Maps to BOL (x? copies)
Road and/or topo of home and BOL AO
Copies of important docs self/family

Auxillary Binders:
ar15 zeros, single sheet
water purification
comms frequencies and check in schedule
first aid? peds med dosing?
common conversions

Wallet Cards
RIBSZ dope
bleach for drinking water amounts
quick reference comms
peds drug doses (ie: motrin, benadryl)
family meet-up plan
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,149 Times in 7,264 Posts

As I get older and (sigh) more forgetful, I find that binders are hugely useful.

I have a binder that tells me where I stored which supply, arranged alphabetically for item and by by location.

I have another binder that helps me keep track of what food supplies I have and why and which recipe uses which items, how many, etc. Also has how much bleach to use in drinking water, what plants around here are edible, some basic first aid info., stuff like that.

A small binder carries Dr. names, addresses, etc.; pet vaccination history; relatives/friends and their info., anything that I might need to know in case of evacuation.

Hmmm, you're right, we need a family meet-up plan. Gotta think about that since the kids are grown, out on their own, and have in-laws where their spouses might prefer to go if need to leave home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 05:28 AM
VIP Member

Having a printed copy of LDS Preparedness Manual is not a bad idea for a binder of its own.

https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-conten...ess-Manual.pdf
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to starbright For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,843 Times in 9,822 Posts

I'm making print-outs of all the handy things from the years & years of Mother Earth News I have, laminating them and putting them in a binder. I also have binders of other common things like local plant life that is edible, recipes, mechanic tips & tricks for current equipment (that tractor will outlive us all), natural remedies and medical tips/tricks, Reloading, etc. etc.

I still have the normal manuals and books, but these laminated pages will last forever. I already have some that are 10 years old and the pages look brand new. It's a little pricey, but in the grander scope of things, the value will be priceless if we ever did a societal reset.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright View Post
Having a printed copy of LDS Preparedness Manual is not a bad idea for a binder of its own.

Or you can save your time and paper and purchase it already bound from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008536NOQ

I bought several copies so I would have some to lend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobthebanjerman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright View Post

The 2012 can be downloaded at (need to provide an email - I'm sure everyone has multiple emails for their dummy account access things):

https://ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html
The Following User Says Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,149 Times in 7,264 Posts

I FORGOT to mention in my previous post There goes that memory thing again!

My binders have all been put where the kids and their spouses can find them.

At my age, preparing has an added dimension. If I'm not around, they can get those binders and know where everything is and how to use it. 2nd tier prepping
Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Prepared

Great idea! Why the rifle sight-ins?

And I'm going to start a binder for official documents (got the idea from this forum :-) Maybe can combine the two ideas......
Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,510 Times in 3,197 Posts

Before I moved, I had 3 binders.

One for non-SHTF stuff, including all the manuals to appliances, how to turn off the utilities in an emergency, where to pay what bill, to whom, and how much, etc. Routine, normal stuff to keep the place and me going, and all of life's little hiccups. Where to get furnace filters (with part number, etc.), best price and performance on which humidifier sponge, etc., maintenance/repair/warranty information, paint color information, etc., etc., etc.

Another binder for legal and administrative preps. The first half for if I am still alive, and the second half in case of my death. Duplicated on multiple INCH USB drives, and the original/official copy(ies) kept elsewhere. A few things also duplicated in hard copy for BOB.

Last binder for SHTF... it was very, very small (checklist and map) and went in BOB, along with an extra INCH USB.

I left the first binder behind (personal information/account numbers/passwords/etc. redacted) for the next inhabitants of the place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Lots of useful information in this post on things I can add to what I already do

My folders & notebooks:
Personal information like birth certificates, home purchase and passports all together.
I keep a notebook with information I think I should have printed on hand divided into categories that make sense to me.
Another notebook has all my inventory, how many and where divided into the same categories as the information notebook.
A notebook for recipes that I have rated that work with food storage (long or short) and with what I can grow in my garden including canning and dehydrating recipes.
When I start to learn about herbal medicine I will keep a separate knowledge book on that.
I also have a spiral notebook that I use for my pantry which is my short term 3 month food storage which I rotate.
Laminate is best or you can buy bulk page protectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flofli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,700 Times in 2,061 Posts

I have a list of online passwords. I have been meaning to look into a master password app. Any comments on that?
List of serial numbers for things like firearms. Other insurance issues. I really should take some video for home insurance.
List of stashes, when brothers mil died they found money stuck in books and other odd places.
Medical records.
I have kindles with books horrifyingly disorganized. Wish i could fix that.