Grayman watches - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 08-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,057 Times in 641 Posts

Advertise Here

I stopped wearing watches for a while after 4 soul brothers drove up when I lived in L.A. to ask me what time it was. I looked at the watch to tell them the time and when I looked up the gun was in my face. Luckily just robbed. But some brothers make a game of asking whites for a match and shooting them if they don't have one.

...as I said in previous posts, I try to avoid talking to people.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,161 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Obviously if they assumed you could actually read a watch, they might mentally promote you from cop to Fireman. Take it as a complement.
That's why there is digital clocks, it's easier to scribble figures on paper if you have an example in front.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:25 PM

I am not sure I understand. Wearing a GShock watch in your world is associated with military/law enforcement? Do you know who wears GShock around here? Every single boy in junior high and they have a different color to go with every pair of shoes, every single coach of any sports team, swimmers, marathon runners and a whole lot of others wear them. I have never associated a GSHOCK with military or leo. I probably have 4 that I no longer wear because I wear a fitbit now.

People mistake me for military sometimes because of my awesome beard and build. I hate buying things that make me look military when I'm not but I like to support veteran owned businesses and their stuff usually screams military. I bought a few shirts from GruntStyle. I tried to find the most unmilitary looking ones they have but even the logo alone looks military. They are just incredibly comfortable and have a lifetime warranty. Who puts a lifetime warranty on a shirt? Black Rifle Coffee gear looks the same. Carrying a gun doesn't really help either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
I am not sure I understand. Wearing a GShock watch in your world is associated with military/law enforcement? Do you know who wears GShock around here? Every single boy in junior high and they have a different color to go with every pair of shoes, every single coach of any sports team, swimmers, marathon runners and a whole lot of others wear them. I have never associated a GSHOCK with military or leo. I probably have 4 that I no longer wear because I wear a fitbit now.
There are a few people here and there who wear the colorful ones for fashion, but yeah, black g-shock here is basically MLEO, or former. On top of that I also live in an are where being white, and having a Scottish background is enough to have people peg me as MLEO.

I hate the colored ones because they're super bright. It's hard to find the square solar-atomic in anything other than black and if I can, they're real expensive.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShark View Post
On top of that I also live in an are where being white, and having a Scottish background is enough to have people peg me as MLEO.
Sounds like it doesn't really matter what watch you wear, then.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShark View Post
On top of that I also live in an are where being white, and having a Scottish background is enough to have people peg me as MLEO.
Sounds like it doesn't really matter what watch you wear, then.
For the general public here, no. But in the event of an event I'd rather not be hassled by LEOs thinking I might have some stuff I shouldn't.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:38 AM

A square black G-Shock will still be associated with military and law enforcement if you wear it with anything other than athletic clothes.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 AM

i wear a casio protrek...same functionality of casio g shock and reasonably rugged minus the bulk..very low profile.

its got all the sensors, compass which i use a lot as well as sunset/sunrise times, atomic timekeeping, solar charging and all the good casio features.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwayne View Post
i wear a casio protrek...same functionality of casio g shock and reasonably rugged minus the bulk..very low profile.

its got all the sensors, compass which i use a lot as well as sunset/sunrise times, atomic timekeeping, solar charging and all the good casio features.
Yeah I've been using mine as a work watch. Still looks exactly like I'm trying to avoid, but the hell with it. I'll just buy a 50 dollar square g-shock for work, toss the pro-trek on my BOB, and cover it with a buff like a filthy hippie if I have to.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,650 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
I feel a little embarrassed that I, a retired federal cop, did not know what a G-Shock watch was. Had to look it up. I wear simple analog Timex or Casio watches from WalMart for EDC. I had a Rolex GMT and Submariner years ago in the Army. Sold them for far more than I paid at the Exchange and never looked back. Inexpensive analog for me.
I WAS into flying and bought me a Breitling Navitimer with all the dials and such. YOu could figure out your flight requirements right from the watch waaaayyyy before all these smart phone thingys.

ANYWAY, I paid less than $200 for it. I only wore it when I was flying so it stayed in great shape. I eventually sold it for $2500 and now they go for upwards of 7 grand.

All the years of going in harms way led me to wearing Gshocks. Almost impossible to break and when it got too crudded up I just got another one.

Now I have the Casio Solar Pathfinder with compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer and about 10 other functions I never use. It is like a Gshock heavy, but it is tough. I was wearing it in ALaska when I slipped on a scree slide and as I tried to catch myself it got pretty beat up half jammed into the loose rocks as I was trying to stop the slide but it still is working as it is supposed to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Curmudgeon in training

I wanted the GMT as it was popular with my (general aviation) flight instructors pre army. I felt it would look cool as I cranked on my old Jeppesen flight computer in a 150 when I got out of the Army. I am amazed at what is out there now days compared to my slide-rule and the old Jeppesen. More surprised at what those watches cost now. Getting old sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Older wind up and auto watches are one of my weaknesses. Seiko, Hamilton, marathon, Alpina, all have some good prospects. A good hard look at pawn shops can met a decent one for not much. I even snared a decent Omega Auto for around $250.

I wore a wind up on 10 deployments through the years. It started with a Hamilton Khaki wind up. There were several others over the years, but my last deployment I wore a Hamilton khaki auto.
The Following User Says Thank You to Comcamguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,792 Times in 785 Posts

Retired, don't wear a watch, don't care if I'm late.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Hunter/Survivor

To echo Sharkbait: since being retired I hardly wear a watch as well even though I am a watch fanatic and own half a dozen watches. Don't shave much either, but I am slowly working me way back to being presentable....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,544 Times in 6,910 Posts

Casio g-shock atomic solar MTG-900 in stainless steel. I've had two over the span of about 20 years, best watches I've ever owned. Looks classy enough to wear anywhere, but still has that cool factor. I get compliments all the time on it.

Prices vary from $90-100.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,211 Posts

A watch with hands so you can find north if you lose your compass. I had to laugh when Steve Austin took the paracord band off his watch and rappelled down a 40' or so embankment in Hunt to Kill.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,132 Times in 5,682 Posts

How about a sundial on one's wrist?
IMO if you are wearing jewelry your taking for trouble.
Having a time piece handy is important if your coordinating something especially with out communications.
But it can be worne on your belt or any other place than one's wrist.
Being a mechanic, wearing watches and chains can kill you , it's not necessary.
Now if your a doctor. reading ones pulse might be valuable having the watch on the wrist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
A watch with hands so you can find north if you lose your compass.
How does this help you? I can see how knowing the current time helps orient direction with current sun location, but how does analog watch help (over digital)?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

I don't wear watches. I can't stand having extra stuff on me. Jewelry-wise, I only wear my wedding band. I carry a small, traditional pocket knife and even that bugs me.

As a prepper, what are the biggest benefits of wearing a watch (aside from knowing current time)?

Aside from the discomfort of wearing one, I used to have problems with my perspiration quickly tearing up the band and the back of the watch.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright View Post
How does this help you? I can see how knowing the current time helps orient direction with current sun location, but how does analog watch help (over digital)?
I've never used the method but it was taught in the scouts. You just hold the watch horizontal, point the hour hand at the sun. Half way between that point and the twelve numeral is south.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: