What is this about...is gov banning handheld ham radio? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Advertise Here

The baofeng is super easy to program manually. I don't get why some folks claim to have so much trouble. If you own one, and can't program it manually, it's not going to be much use to you in a situation where you can't get to a pc and your CHIRP program. Learn how your radio operates. You might figure out its not such a piece of junk after all, but a very useful and affordable tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,182 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
I've had one for years now & at least with chirp they are easy to program. I think with good instructions in understandable English, they might be easy enough to program manually. There are numerous people on this board & others who have good ones too. I think it's no different than with AR's. People think if you don't spend at least $1K+ on a big name AR it's crap & will never work, but myself & many others have the budget builds & they work fine too. I just ordered some more Baofengs, a two pack of the dual band.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z63YFM/

Then I also decided to try one of the tri-bands.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J2W4JUI/

If I hadn't also needed to get a few other toys that were on sale, I might have gotten more. Since I still have another month 1/2 to order them before they supposedly can't sell them with all the naughty features, I will probably order a couple more. If I don't like the tri-band, I might give this combo pkg. a try.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XGQHH5/

If I do like the tri-band model, then I'll have to figure out what to do. So many toys & such little funds.
ive not tried the tri-band, only 1 220 in my area, so opted out. almost bought the feng digital, but found it would not work properly so got a tyt380 instead. that worked great.

as i mentioned, i have probably a dozen fengs, i keep a pair at my daughters, and exchange them when i visit, and thats at least once every 3 monhts. and i have yet to see the batteries have any loss to speak of. i do keep them disconnected, so cannot say if it would be worse if connected. i just bought a pair of the mini T1 (70cm), just to have a small radio for small local events, only between wife and self, so probably have a few simplex and a few repeaters (maybe). they actually seem cheap though, so, i'm not too encouraged about them so far, i forgot to grab a cable, so havent programmed them yet. and, i wont admit it to FirstToken, but i'm not keen on using the default channels in the radios, so not going to use them until i reprogram. until then i cant say how well they work, but if they arent going to be available in a month, i may buy another pair anyway. 30 bucks a pair aint bad for nearby comms really
it would be nice for baofeng to come out with a gps enabled radio for some APRS action
Old 08-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Hunter

oh, i've dropped and broken one, what did that get me?
an extra battery....oh, dang, and an extra antenna even...
what would it have gotten me on my yaesu, a credit card bill for 400 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Don View Post
I agree, they aren’t appropriate channels for normal use.
My point was from the get go, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to pick up 2 baofeng radios and turn them on and talk to each other
Sure thing, for communications out to a couple miles, call it out to 5 or so, sometimes further, sometimes not that far, things are simple. Turn a simple radio on, call up a preprogrammed freq, and mash the button. Really no skill or knowledge needed.

But some undefined longer ranges can take more effort, and are less foolproof. Sometimes just as easy as a couple miles, sometimes not. The more experience you have under varying conditions and the more you understand about radio, the more likely you are to be able to establish communications under less than ideal or line of site conditions. The more likely you are to understand why you cannot communicate when you can't, and the more likely you are to select functional alternate bands / settings / antennas / etc.

T!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,065 Times in 600 Posts

So they'd make a great FRS radio?

Higher power...longer range than "certified" FRS handhelds?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Hiker

Quote:
oh, i've dropped and broken one, what did that get me?
an extra battery....oh, dang, and an extra antenna even...
what would it have gotten me on my yaesu, a credit card bill for 400 bucks
I understand what you are saying, and there is real value in low cost and throw away levels of concern, but you are also making an unfair comparison. A $400 Yaesu HT has capabilities the Baofeng simply does not have. At that kind of price point you are talking about something like an FT-2DR or FT-3DR with digital audio and touch screen.

A more fair comparison, more apples to apples when discussing features, would be something like the Yaesu FT-4XR or the FT-60R, radios that can run more along the lines of $60 to $155, depending on what features and size you decide you must have. So still 2 to 4 times the cost of the Baofeng, but not 10 times like the high end Yaesus would be.

T!
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So they'd make a great FRS radio?

Higher power...longer range than "certified" FRS handhelds?

/me whispers, theoretically yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstToken View Post
I understand what you are saying, and there is real value in low cost and throw away levels of concern, but you are also making an unfair comparison. A $400 Yaesu HT has capabilities the Baofeng simply does not have. At that kind of price point you are talking about something like an FT-2DR or FT-3DR with digital audio and touch screen.

A more fair comparison, more apples to apples when discussing features, would be something like the Yaesu FT-4XR or the FT-60R, radios that can run more along the lines of $60 to $155, depending on what features and size you decide you must have. So still 2 to 4 times the cost of the Baofeng, but not 10 times like the high end Yaesus would be.

T!

True, For cost comparisons yes, on that note, if one can afford an FT60, get it, I’ve heard absolutely nothing bad about that model, And used are pretty good prices.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 AM
Hunter

The mini T1, freq are mostly between 437.250 and 450 ish, even one down at 400.. and one up at 469

Old 08-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Hunter

we went to a festival yesterday, i decided to take the new pair of Baofeng Mini T1, even though i havent reprogrammed them, left them on most of the day, forgot to turn one off and this morning found it still has 2 of 3 blips on the battery. fully charged i think is 4.2v, right now it has 3.7, decided to let it play FM radio till it dies. been going an hour or so, still has 2 blips. the one that i remembered to turn off has 4.0.
one thing i certainly do not like about it is the volume control. it has 7 levels, and level 1 is actually too loud for say an office environment, about half that level might be ok.
anyway, just thought i'd pass that along.
i havent tested any comms yet.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,893 Times in 2,565 Posts

You've got just over 7 weeks as of today to get them. James Wesley Rawles posted on his blog that he thinks it's a good idea to grab a few before they're gone.

https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sal...own-continues/

"Here is a reminder on an upcoming rule change by the FCC: On September 30, 2019, it will become illegal to sell or “offer for sale” (advertise) radios like the popular Baofeng UV-5R that can operate in the FRS radio band (462.5625 – 462.7250 MHz) and any other licensed band in a single device. Manufacturers will have to either quit selling them or block out the FRS bands–like they already do for the current cellular bands. This is the relevant verbiage:

§ 95.591 Sales of FRS combination radios prohibited.

Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall sell or offer for sale hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and under any other licensed or licensed-by-rule radio services in this chapter (devices may be authorized under this subpart with part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations).

I strongly recommend stocking up on dual band Baofeng UV-5R handie-talkies before this regulatory change takes place. Presently, if bought in a set of five, the cost per transceiver is only around $23 each, postage paid. By law, these may still be bought by any adult. But a license is needed to operate them outside of the no-license FRS, GMRS, and MURS bands. (That is, in the amateur operators’ bands.)

Note that this upcoming ban WILL NOT be a ban on the possession or use of FRS dual band ham radios. Nor will be it be illegal to gift them to other adults. Hence, any that are legally owned on or before September 30th will effectively become “grandfathered”. Read between the lines folks: The FCC doesn’t want non-licensed individuals to own radios that can transmit in both licensed bands and unlicensed bands. My supposition is that this is because in the long term they don’t want unlicensed folks to have plausible deniability for toting around ham band-capable gear. Ironically, it was a few boot-licking sycophants within the ham community that pushed for this rule change. Often, people jealously guard their own privileges and want to deny privileges to others who are not in their elite clique. This is essentially a Country Club Members mentality.

So, reiterating my advice: Buy a box of five of these, or perhaps two boxes, while they are still readily available and affordable...."

Then he bought some more.

https://survivalblog.com/editors-prepping-progress-74/

https://survivalblog.com/rounding-baofeng-uv-5rs/

Considering that you'll still be able to get batteries, antennas & other accessories for them just fine, if you're on a budget, I'd concentrate on getting extra radios first before getting the accessories.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,103 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
You've got just over 7 weeks as of today to get them. James Wesley Rawles posted on his blog that he thinks it's a good idea to grab a few before they're gone.

https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sal...own-continues/

"Here is a reminder on an upcoming rule change by the FCC: On September 30, 2019, it will become illegal to sell or “offer for sale” (advertise) radios like the popular Baofeng UV-5R that can operate in the FRS radio band (462.5625 – 462.7250 MHz) and any other licensed band in a single device. Manufacturers will have to either quit selling them or block out the FRS bands–like they already do for the current cellular bands. This is the relevant verbiage:

§ 95.591 Sales of FRS combination radios prohibited.

Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall sell or offer for sale hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and under any other licensed or licensed-by-rule radio services in this chapter (devices may be authorized under this subpart with part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations).

I strongly recommend stocking up on dual band Baofeng UV-5R handie-talkies before this regulatory change takes place. Presently, if bought in a set of five, the cost per transceiver is only around $23 each, postage paid. By law, these may still be bought by any adult. But a license is needed to operate them outside of the no-license FRS, GMRS, and MURS bands. (That is, in the amateur operators’ bands.)

Note that this upcoming ban WILL NOT be a ban on the possession or use of FRS dual band ham radios. Nor will be it be illegal to gift them to other adults. Hence, any that are legally owned on or before September 30th will effectively become “grandfathered”. Read between the lines folks: The FCC doesn’t want non-licensed individuals to own radios that can transmit in both licensed bands and unlicensed bands. My supposition is that this is because in the long term they don’t want unlicensed folks to have plausible deniability for toting around ham band-capable gear. Ironically, it was a few boot-licking sycophants within the ham community that pushed for this rule change. Often, people jealously guard their own privileges and want to deny privileges to others who are not in their elite clique. This is essentially a Country Club Members mentality.

So, reiterating my advice: Buy a box of five of these, or perhaps two boxes, while they are still readily available and affordable...."

Then he bought some more.

https://survivalblog.com/editors-prepping-progress-74/

https://survivalblog.com/rounding-baofeng-uv-5rs/

Considering that you'll still be able to get batteries, antennas & other accessories for them just fine, if you're on a budget, I'd concentrate on getting extra radios first before getting the accessories.
So unless the FCC takes a totally different approach, the above info is somewhat inaccurate.

1) The FCC won’t ban the sale of the radios, which are currently legal, they will ban the manufacturer or importation of non type accepted radios( they do this already- but they will deny type acceptance for future wide band transmitters). Non type accepted radios can still be imported for military and NTIA users. ( I read the law, but fcc has never enforced a ban of retail sales of equipment that was legally manufactured/imported, to the best of my knowledge.

2) this is not like the cellular block- that was for recievers, this will block Transmitters. A receiver block would affect a thousand products, this is probably limited to a hundred ( plenty of UHF land mobile gear will cover FRS.)

Given the limited impact of importing wide-band handhelds ( ie not used for wiretapping/ unlikely to interfere with public safety/CMRS/critical infrastructure), I’m sure there will continue to be radios imported. Google “export radio” FRS on Oct 1. Bafong won’t do it, but the chinesium radio company will.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 AM

I'm skeptical... imagine the amazon and other warehouses that are sitting full of baofeng radios right this moment. No way are they selling out in the next 3 weeks. I don't think they are going to just throw those radios away. I think they will still be sold for months to come as long as you don't have some people start really complaining about it. Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of the cheap radio haters out there who will be writing letters and calling the fcc. There are people that hate these radios so bad, they will push hard to stop sales. I guess it could go either way. Doesn't matter, I'm ordering a couple more for myself anyway, and I've been on the fence about a TYT 9800 mobile. Might as well go after that one too, because it's widebanded just like a baofeng.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Motor View Post
I'm skeptical... imagine the amazon and other warehouses that are sitting full of baofeng radios right this moment. No way are they selling out in the next 3 weeks. I don't think they are going to just throw those radios away. I think they will still be sold for months to come as long as you don't have some people start really complaining about it. Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of the cheap radio haters out there who will be writing letters and calling the fcc. There are people that hate these radios so bad, they will push hard to stop sales. I guess it could go either way. Doesn't matter, I'm ordering a couple more for myself anyway, and I've been on the fence about a TYT 9800 mobile. Might as well go after that one too, because it's widebanded just like a baofeng.

The cheap radio haters are precisely why this happened, my bet is they start making noise in hour 1 if they see them still for sale

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunter Don For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 9,943 Times in 3,821 Posts

Quote:
The cheap radio haters
Straw man argument.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:00 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,893 Times in 2,565 Posts

This video did a good job of helping explain it IMO. I seem to recall reading that FRS radios aren't supposed to have a detachable radio, at least not without having a license.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:11 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,777 Times in 4,125 Posts

Quote:
This video did a good job of helping explain it IMO. I seem to recall reading that FRS radios aren't supposed to have a detachable radio, at least not without having a license.

Is the FCC banning the Boafeng radio? Part 2 - some clarification (hopefully). - YouTube
I feel more confused now than I was before.

He didn't seem to address the actual issue, wether or not we will be able to buy radios, like baofengs, that can be used for FRS and VHF/UHF past the deadline.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:04 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,422 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I feel more confused now than I was before.

He didn't seem to address the actual issue, wether or not we will be able to buy radios, like baofengs, that can be used for FRS and VHF/UHF past the deadline.
You won't be able to buy radios that are not FCC approved, currently the radios in question are not approved for a couple of reasons.

In simple terms:

1) They are capable of operating on wattage's not allowed by the FCC for certain frequencies

2) They have a removable antenna (this type of radio must have a permanently attached antenna)

If you're interested in this type of radio then you should buy them before Sept 20th there are several brands currently being sold such as Baofeng that are not FCC approved for the above reasons and cannot be legally sold in the US after that date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,777 Times in 4,125 Posts

That’s what I thought but the video seemed to confuse the issue. I already have several but I’m thinking about getting more.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Trapper

I have a box load of UV-5R radios and thought I had enough, but when I found a new one on eBay for $19.95 including shipping I got it. Couldn't help myself.