24 hours (maybe less) to prepare your home for a WROL situation--what do you do? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,376 Times in 1,392 Posts
Default 24 hours (maybe less) to prepare your home for a WROL situation--what do you do?

Advertise Here

Consider the following scenario:

You've got a typical middle-class house. Let's say its in the suburbs.

There's a WROL situation developing fast. It could be massive civil disorders such as riots. An EMP. Or any number of things.

You've heard that the police are overwhelmed. You've also heard rumors of looting and assaults breaking out all over the place. And it's moving in your direction.

How do you fortify your home? What steps can you take, in the next 24 hours (maybe less), to protect your home? And subsequently yourself and your family?

You need to do it quick. AND with readily available resources a typical suburban homeowner has at hand.

Obviously, you can't dig tank traps and put-up concrete gun emplacements. Lay land mines in your lawn. Or erect a 12 foot high razor wire fence around your property. You don't have the time or the equipment to do that.

Just some quick thoughts that come to mind, if I were in this situation.

1) The windows in your home make you vulnerable. Especially the ground floor ones. Have on hand a supply of plywood, that you can quickly nail or screw into place.

2) Chain, nail, or otherwise secure back and side doors, from the inside of the house. Secure your garage doors.

Any other suggestions? Advice? Opinions?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,744 Times in 12,913 Posts

3 possible locations in my family to bug in, in Tulsa.
1) We access the threat and decide which of the three offers the best location.
2) The family splits into 3 teams, one team moves supplies, one team hardens the bug in location, one team makes the last provision run.
3) One person collects local intel and decides on the most viable route out of Tulsa if all else fails.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Shatter-resistant window film for sliding glass doors. You'd have to have it in advance, obviously, and it's really something that should already be installed, since it's not noticeable. I need to quit procrastinating on this one.

For plywood on windows, I like the method with a crossbar inside the house connected to the plywood with a long carriage bolt, nut, and two big washers.

Coordinate with the neighbors to keep an eye out and call each other if you see something.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,650 Times in 939 Posts

DON'T Really have a house that can be "fortified"

What I rely on is about 40miles of forest country hard core rednecks between me and the nearest city over 10,000 that is almost 100 miles away.

The rest of the space is inhabited by another 50 miles of Farming country hard core rednecks
so
When it all goes up I have about 90 miles of GOBs between me and the nearest city likely to go bad.
IF the city flee-ers show up at my door they will be very thinned out,
OR
be folks truly worthy of being welcomed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Activate your neighborhood security plan, what you don't have one?

Me either, I just moved into a a rental house I own in a suburban area with plans to fix it up and sell it once I find a home further out from the burbs. I have about 1.5 years left in this house for tax reasons before I move. I do not know the neighbors yet but have been gathering intel on them to see if they would be a snowflake, patriot, or just another sheep.

In your scenario I am bugging out to my mountain "retreat", but if I was to stay in my Burb home I would do the following.

-Get command post up and running to gather intel from TV, radio and observation.
-Charge all electronics (radios, phones, backup batteries, etc.)
-Load all magazines and put on your battle gear.
-Contact any neighbors that are with the program to alert them.
-Block garage door with truck.
-Lock all yard gates.
-Fill tub and any other containers with water, expect utilities to fail.
-Secure windows with any materials you have, I would not totally block windows as I would want to be able to see or shoot out them.
-Fill sandbags with sand from kids sandbox and create several hardened firing positions.
-Reposition security cameras to view most possible avenues of approach.

If an EMP occurred your days in the burbs are numbered, you will either starve or get killed by others that are starving. An EMP is the worst scenario I can think of.

Sounds like you do not yet have a written plan and resources in place to deal with any number of scenarios, time to make that happen.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LazorWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,727 Times in 557 Posts

The immediate threat would not be security, so much as acquiring any additional resources for sustained long term survival and even hygiene, comfort, and function. To do this it may be necessary to have cash on hand. As the scenario may mean no electricity available to process credit or debit cards. I would split the family into 2 person teams and send them out to different stores with cash (instructions to use credit if it is possible) to purchase bulk toilet paper, and bulk consumables like rice, instant potatoes, and pastas. As well as additional can goods. I do keep a couple of months worth of supplies. But, I would want to supplement that base with any type of last minutes supplies that I could gather. Where I live in West central FL. The stores run out of merchandise very quickly, whenever there is a perceived threat. Then I would begin to work on last minute security procedures. Most likely you will have 48 to 72 hrs. to prepare before any of the madness begins and unprepared people start to become more desperate and at some point will be forced to seek sustenance from those that have it. I am still considering how I should secure my small property in a subdivision, against outside aggression. One thought is a small slit trench right in front of my front door to build up a small bullet proof berm to mitigate incoming rounds in that area. And to man the trench with a lookout when needed. Another is too build a small platform in the back yard that allows overlook into all of the surrounding yards to have an early warning of approaching threats coming from different directions. All neighbors have wooden privacy fences that provide concealment in both directions but no cover. But early warning would provide the opportunity to spring ambushes or bobby traps onto advancing hostiles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to makobytes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,898 Posts

The only realistic prep would be the same as in 1962: put your head between the legs... you know the ending. There is absolutely no way to prepare "average" house in the suburbs. Or any other house in suburbs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,830 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
You've got a typical middle-class house.
Well, I'm out.

It seems like you're basically asking how to be a prepper without having any preps.

You could barricade your windows and doors but thats not really going to do you a lot of good if its WROL. Your house will probably just burn down when the city catches on fire. Without a lot of food and water storage your going to be forced out in a week or two anyway.

You could load up your kids and empty your cupboards and try to bug out but hitting the road in such a situation with only a week of food and a normal vehicle with no bug out location or rout in place probably won't do you any good.

'Typical' anything in a WROL will be dead. Don't be typical.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,744 Times in 12,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Well, I'm out.

It seems like you're basically asking how to be a prepper without having any preps.

You could barricade your windows and doors but thats not really going to do you a lot of good if its WROL. Your house will probably just burn down when the city catches on fire. Without a lot of food and water storage your going to be forced out in a week or two anyway.

You could load up your kids and empty your cupboards and try to bug out but hitting the road in such a situation with only a week of food and a normal vehicle with no bug out location or rout in place probably won't do you any good.

'Typical' anything in a WROL will be dead. Don't be typical.
That's a petty knee-jerk reaction. I would wager MOST of the preppers on this forum don't live in a fully stocked bunker in the middle of nowhere. Likewise, most can't afford a separate BO home/bunker either.
And where on earth did you get the idea the OP had no preps? This thread is about last minute chores, it seems to me if they had nothing their first concern would have been gathering food or getting out of dodge, not adding the finishing touches to what they DO have.
You may consider us typical and worm food but we are the reality of prepping today.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 26,933 Times in 8,710 Posts

I'd just finish loading the REST of my magazines, drink a cool drink and wait for the party to either arrive or pass me by. I'm guessing that they'd opt to pass me and mine by, if they're smart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Target Shooter

Go out and meet the threat (preferably before they get near your neighborhood). Watch the thugs at work. Determine who the most aggressive leaders are and snipe them. Initiative of thugs will be slowed, stopped, or retreating. Go back home to organize neighbors into a security, materials gathering force. Plan for exiting to BOL if situation deteriorates beyond show of force.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
That's a petty knee-jerk reaction. I would wager MOST of the preppers on this forum don't live in a fully stocked bunker in the middle of nowhere. Likewise, most can't afford a separate BO home/bunker either.
And where on earth did you get the idea the OP had no preps? This thread is about last minute chores, it seems to me if they had nothing their first concern would have been gathering food or getting out of dodge, not adding the finishing touches to what they DO have.
You may consider us typical and worm food but we are the reality of prepping today.
I'd wager most preppers on this forum who live in an indefensible suburban houses are not prepping for WROL or if they are, are not planning on bugging in.

Not saying you can't be a suburban prepper, but the OP basically states that your home has no defenses and you don't have the ability to make them. He pretty much limits what you can do to boarding up windows, this also implies you haven't been prepping anything else as who would bother to stock large amounts of supplies in a home without also prepping it to be defensible?

The only answer I can think of is a person who is planning on bugging out...and yet that is not the premise of the original post.

So I say again, it sounds like this hypothetical person is NOT a prepper and there is little they can do that will really make a difference in a true WROL scenario. There are no simple 'chores' you can do without pre-planning and staging of supplies that will somehow make a 'typical' house with nothing more than typical supplies in it into something you can survive the end of civilization in.

Honestly, this premise it sounds more like fishing for story material than anything else. I can't imagine anyone who has thought about prepping for any length of time finding themselves in this bad of a situation and deciding on this course of action.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,376 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

Honestly, this premise it sounds more like fishing for story material than anything else. I can't imagine anyone who has thought about prepping for any length of time finding themselves in this bad of a situation and deciding on this course of action.

I AM a Prepper. And I am NOT "fishing for story material", as you so snarkily put it. How did you justify arriving at the conclusion? About a very relevant and timely question for the board?

I asked a simple question about a serious and very possible scenario, that I am sure many MANY people on this board have wondered about.

If you have researched my previous threads and posts, you can see that I am a serious prepper.

You dismiss my question outright, that "no serious prepper would be without a prep plan". But if you live in the suburbs, you obviously are not going to have a house like this one. Which would certainly raise some eyebrows among the neighbors:

You basically are offering no advice. Except to suggest that---as another poster put it so well---"if you aren't living in in a fully equipped bunker in the middle of no where"---that you should just forget about defense, and just curl-up and die.

If you are going to heap abuse on members who ask a simple question---what are you even doing here?

PS---added to ignore list.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,062 Posts

Burglar getting through glass door tends to pry it out of frame rather than just break glass, not sure why, glass breaks anyway and makes a racket when it falls. Easy to prevent this with screws in trackway, youtube it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
I AM a Prepper
It never occurred to me that you where not.

I assumed that this was a hypothetical person we where talking about. I would expect anyone who spent much time here to be much much better prepared than a typical person with only typical supplies.

Quote:
If you have researched my previous threads and posts, you can see that I am a serious prepper.
What would prompt me to do that?

EDIT:

Now that I have looked at your post history all I can see is political posts....which is generally the case when I look into the history of people who make really strange threads that seem to question the very idea of prepping...which I guess this one qualifies as although that was not how I originally took it.

Quote:
You basically are offering no advice. Except to suggest that---as another poster put it so well---"if you aren't living in in a fully equipped bunker in the middle of no where"---that you should just forget about defense, and just curl-up and die.
ummm. No.

I'm suggesting that you need to prepare for defense or escape beyond what someone could do with just the typical supplies this question limited us to. The same thing most other people on this thread have suggested so far as well.

Quote:
If you are going to heap abuse on members who ask a simple question---what are you even doing here?
Again, I thought I was heaping abuse on some poor hapless hypothetical. If you think that is you then you perhaps you need abuse heaped on you to break yourself out of normalcy bias.

Quote:
Perhaps your next prep should be growing some thicker skin. If you think you just had abuse heaped on you then you should look at my post history. It seems I hurt your feelings on accident. God forbid someone ever actually decide to do it on purpose.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,687 Times in 8,301 Posts

If it was a legitimately Democratic Republic of Congo style thing. I would leave.

The issue is the numbers. If they are not on your side. You are in trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,114 Posts

This is something I've considered often and have a loose mental plan for.
I wouldn't concern myself with fortifying my house. The plan would be to not let the hoard into the town at all.
We are not really a town but more a village. A wide spot in the road with a collection of houses, a couple churches and a general store. Most of us know or at least are acquainted with eachother. Many of the families have been here for generations, some going back to pre-Civil War days. We love our little town. I can pretty much guess who's got arms. Being rural it's a pretty good number. We also have at least a couple of us who are Hams who could provide some communications with HT's and bases.
The plan starts with organizing my street. I've already identified who to go see first. Those who likely already have at least some armament. We would block the street access to this side of town at the RR track (the other end dead ends to massive apple orchards), then move over street by street (there are only a few and each only has 5-8 houses on it) and organize the folks on each street to do the same. Then start on the streets on the other side of the tracks. Spread outward to the pre-identified chokepoints around the perimeter of town. We are a crossroads village so there are 4 points to block. These would be our outer defenses. The streets/tracks would be our fallbacks if the outer defense fails.
By the time such unrest would get all the way out here I doubt they would have enough steam left to present much of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 PM
Target Shooter

Default I would

I would make a sign that said HIV Positive Patient . Use Blood born Pathogen protection.

I would place this sign at all entrances . Along with some spoiled meat in red Biohazard bags containing feces bloody bandages and used T-paper.

If someone knocked I would answer the door with rubber gloves and a pistol.

The clothes make the man !
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BillM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,912 Times in 2,628 Posts

Id start filling sandbags. I would also put sheets of fireproof tedlar on my roof . Board up the front windows. If I had time I would put down nail boards and low entanglement wire. Get the bottles of bleach and chlorine punks ready with fans. Fill empty mason jars with gasoline and contact cement . Oh yeah load the boxes of rifle and pistol magazines.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I AM a Prepper. And I am NOT "fishing for story material", as you so snarkily put it. How did you justify arriving at the conclusion? About a very relevant and timely question for the board?

I asked a simple question about a serious and very possible scenario, that I am sure many MANY people on this board have wondered about.

You dismiss my question outright, that "no serious prepper would be without a prep plan". But if you live in the suburbs, you obviously are not going to have a house like this one. Which would certainly raise some eyebrows among the neighbors:

I apologize for my post, but it is 100% true. Suggestion to wash hands under pandemic is not kindness, it is a false hope.
And the reality is even worse than that: live in a perfectly prepared stronghold, in a perfect location provides only a miniscule chance of survival (greater than zero though).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post: