EDC : do you carry your int. passport? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating my EDC for College Bobcat In The Woods Urban Survival 40 11-10-2018 04:12 PM
New Jersey Politician: Hire Teachers Who Carry Guns AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-21-2018 12:30 PM
EDC....How do you carry it? ol Urban Survival 99 11-26-2017 06:02 AM
How did you come to pick your survival cartridge? leomort Firearms General Discussion 108 10-23-2017 09:20 PM
The EDC of 1800s: Pocket carry of the Victorian and Edwardian Era FerFAL Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 02-12-2016 09:35 AM

Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,180 Times in 3,167 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
I keep my credit card one (good for South America and the Caribbean) in my wallet (my wallet blocks RFI transmission). I would never carry my actual passport. Your Social Security card and Passport are the holy grail for any identity thief.
They sell good RFI sleeves for the passport and all cards.
The problem with the passport card is that it doesnít work for air travel to those locations
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Just boarded a flight from Santiago RD to JFK. I have.made this trip 42 times... yep..42 round trip.
I counted 8 times that my passport was checked prior to getting on my plane

I know from experience... it will only be checked once at JFK... 🙂

Yes my passport is part of my EDC
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,699 Posts

I have the land border pass (card version of passport) in my pocket,
due to a quaint notion that I might need to bug out across the border.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 02:21 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,409 Times in 3,166 Posts

Passport in lieu of birth certificate plus ID for proof of citizenship and legal to work in the U.S. Employers/potential employers do not need to know my parents' names, etc. They'll take or make a xerox copy of a passport, but routinely demand a certified copy of a birth certificate, so it saves a little $$$ too. And time.

So I've taken it with me for certain job application things...

I also keep my international shot record booklets with my passport (and copies in multiple other places). Due to the measles BS, I was asked at one place if I would get a shot or had proof of immunity if I were hired. No question about a flu shot, though. IDK if that was illegal to ask or not
Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,979 Times in 901 Posts

I have a regular passport, a passport card, and an enhanced drivers license that has a passport feature on it. I can travel with just the drivers license to any US territory or state by air or land.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,277 Posts

I don't carry my passport (it expired anyways) as I never consider leaving the USA to be an option in shtf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,090 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
I went to CVS to get my passport picture taken. The attendant told me not to smile so I didn't. As she rang me up I asked why I wasn't to smile and was told because they don't want to see your teeth. I payed the $13 and received the photo. The photo was really bad as I walked out the door. On my way home I thought about it and thought that I could smile without showing my teeth, but it's just a passport photo so who cares.
Not really the fed's/local popo/etc photo recognition software works "better" when mouth on photos is closed. All the photos/personal data from passports and "real ID" drivers license, and CDL are fed into big brothers database (so Skynet and anyone with a gov't excuse can use it).
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,090 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
I don't carry my passport (it expired anyways) as I never consider leaving the USA to be an option in shtf.
I consider a silly to create some made up excuse to go galavanting off to eurp/etc on "vacation" the mark of a silly gadfly.

1. You have seen everything there is worth seeing in the greatest nation ever created? The US. If you say yes, you lie.
2. There is something in eurp/etc that really matters if you see it/don't see it? NO
3. You have some much money you have no idea how to spend it gainfully on yoursent, your family, benevolently? Get a life/clue. Perhaps pay for euro children to visit the US and then take what they have learned and to GO HOME to fix THEIR cesspool. As Foreign exchange student/etc? Win win.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:23 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
I consider a silly to create some made up excuse to go galavanting off to eurp/etc on "vacation" the mark of a silly gadfly.

1. You have seen everything there is worth seeing in the greatest nation ever created? The US. If you say yes, you lie.
2. There is something in eurp/etc that really matters if you see it/don't see it? NO
3. You have some much money you have no idea how to spend it gainfully on yoursent, your family, benevolently? Get a life/clue. Perhaps pay for euro children to visit the US and then take what they have learned and to GO HOME to fix THEIR cesspool. As Foreign exchange student/etc? Win win.
So exactly what are you saying ?
That itís silly to travel to other countries and visit?
Just curious
Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 AM
Hunter

The way I look at things, in some countries especially 1's that suffers with amount of civil unrest your travel documents may land you in jail..

as much as i can say fly out you might have no choice it might be a land crossing or water crossing to get to safe harbors ...

If fall into a country that has issues with your country of origin you may find it harder leaving your holiday destination something most of us in the west may need to contend with flying to places prone civil unrest..
Old 05-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,277 Posts

Quote:

Not sure why you quoted me for this. I said that I didn't consider it an option during shtf, not that I wouldn't travel to other countries during normal times.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,785 Times in 9,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
That was true up to fairly recently. But increased security, like some drivers licences will no longer be accepted for flying id and passports required for flying to canada and mexico, mean a lot more need passports. Something over 40% now.

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean only need the passport card, not the book. The passport card also serves as a legal ID and can be used domestically during travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

The passport card.....can be used for

Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
Canada
Mexico
The Caribbean
Bermuda
The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,699 Posts

Quote:

I've been to
- 8 countries in Europe (3 in 2017, 1 in 2018)
- the two others in North America
- 3 south of Mexico
- 7 or more in Asia, depending on how you count (2 in 2019)
- 1 in the Middle East
- Australia

I consider it money well spent. I've come to an understanding of
other religions, other cuisines, driving on the left, other alphabets,
other languages, other forms of government, not having grass in the front yard.

I have dabbled in 4 foreign languages, with varying success.
Among other things, I understand English grammar better.
Many people argue that visitors should not come here unless they speak English.
Meanwhile we Americans go everywhere not knowing the local language.
Indeed I was sent overseas by the military with zero language preparation.

Well, what ABOUT the US?
I must confess, I've only been to 49 states~!
OTOH I've been to two exclaves! How about that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Is this guy trolling? Can't be serious, right? **** seeing the Hagia Sofia until after you see The Lion King? "greatest nation ever created?" Clearly someone who's never been anywhere else.

> Perhaps pay for euro children to visit the US and then take what they have learned and to GO HOME to fix THEIR cesspool.

Good idea. I'll start a progam now to help children in Oslo so they can come visit this genius and he can explain how to fix their country.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,171 Times in 26,194 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

No, but there are copies in my emergency binder.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:07 PM
regular

15 - 25 years ago, I traveled internationally for work, and that was my incentive for getting my passport. Oddly enough, prior to that time, I spent most of my 9 years of military service overseas, and never needed it.

Fast forward to today, not only am I not traveling overseas for work, but, I've been working from home since 2012. That stated, I still keep my passport up-to-date, even given the expense and trouble (once every 10 years). Why? The US passport is almost the perfect ID, at least compared to my drivers license.

My US issued passport is an official govt issued picture ID, with almost no personal data on it, at least in relation to my drivers license, which, IMHO, has way too much.

After a lot of though, I've been too chicken to nuke/microwave the RFID chip in the passport, but I do keep in one of those metal mesh keepers, which is suppose to stop casual RFID data skimming.

If I know I'm going to need to present a govt issued picture ID, the passport is what they get. The only person who gets to see my drivers license, and all the personal info on that, is the cop who's pulled me over for whatever stupid thing I've been doing in my car.

I didn't feel that my actions were that unique among US passport holders, but I'm seeing a large number of post here from owners who appear to have their passport locked away.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Yank living in SE Asia I have a Visa that is an ID and carry a copy of my Passport and photo on my phone. Leaving the original stored in the safe. It is a Natural Disaster prone area and demonstrations take place. Good to have proof of my US Passport in case of a emergency and /or needed entrance to the US Embassy.

If living domestically in the Great USA a Driver's License should suffice. But make sure your State's licenses are acceptable to the TSA.