What guns do you regret buying? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many guns do you need? Marlin94 Firearms General Discussion 147 12-23-2017 06:42 PM
Millennial Women Keep Buying Guns AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-08-2017 12:30 PM
CO2 and PCP Pellet guns. nomadshooter Firearms General Discussion 9 04-13-2017 08:38 PM
Bad Guys have Better Guns! Black Knight Firearms General Discussion 33 01-31-2017 05:40 AM
The Truth, Veterans with Mental Disorders and Guns. Jets General Discussion 80 12-28-2016 10:00 AM

Old 12-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,711 Times in 693 Posts
Default What guns do you regret buying?

Advertise Here

So as a variation of the usual "What do you regret not buying", "what do you regret selling" or "your favorite guns you own" threads, what firearms do you regret buying?

I don't regret most of my purchases, but the one firearm purchase I absolutely regret buying with 100% certainty is a Kel-Tec SU-16C. I bought it when I was younger, not too knowledgeable on the reputation of firearms manufacturers, firearms in general or how to research and crowd source information. I bought it thinking it was a "civilian" AR-15 due to it being able to use STANAG mags. I bought it at a gun show where the dealer I bought it from assured me that it was a civilian AR-15. On the plus side I think I paid like $400 for it, so I didn't get ripped off too bad.

Anyway, I've never shot the gun as I very quickly got in to Milsurp rifles afterwards, like the K31, Mosin, Mauser and SKS platforms. I don't think I'll ever shoot it, but I still have it. I doubt I'll ever sell it either. I don't know anyone locally who wants to buy it, nor do I really know anyone locally who has heard of it other than myself and the local gun shops.

Apologies if there's a thread active with the same concept. Search results turned up a single thread created more than a year ago with a single reply to it in a Vendor subforum.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM

I bought an M&P Shield 9mm and I do not like it.

Not being a gun expert, and having owned a Beretta 92 for two decades, I didn't realize how much I like double action guns that have actual hammers.

I absolutely hate not having a hammer and will never purchase another striker fired gun again.

The M&P Shield is also very difficult to operate. The slide is very hard to pull back, the safety is difficult to move, and it doesn't shoot straight.

Piece of crap.

The only good thing about this weapon is that its slim and it could be very easy to hide.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shoppy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,045 Times in 7,346 Posts

remington 870 around 2009/2010.. the finish is crap, seems half the parts are cast.. i have to keep the thing coated in oil or else it'll rust just looking at it, and i've since come to realize i have pretty much no use for a pump shotgun.. i will in all likeliness sell it or give it away and get a double-barrel or single shot to replace it for those little occasions (like hunting pheasant) where i would need one

also i have a pietta 1860 army.. seems something breaks every time you use it, i should have gotten an 1858 instead
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,728 Times in 7,682 Posts

I was slow to learn that cheap guns are cheap for a reason. Biggest errors:

1. Taurus PT140. I was on a budget and couldn't afford Glock, so got a Taurus. Garbage. Unfixable. Went back to Taurus many times. Junk.

I should have learned my lesson. I didn't. I later acquired several more Taurus semi-autos for probably too much. Now sitting on two recalled pistols of minimal value and relegated to only range use. The crazy thing is that I carried one of them that is now probably defective. The guns suck and the company has totally failed to fairly handle their recall for their defective guns. NEVER AGAIN will I pay good money for a Taurus new design semi-auto. I do like their revolvers however. And their clone of the 92 is a good one. But their new stuff - I have no faith.

2. Keltec. I bought the PT3AT. Jammomatic. Keltec did honor a warranty and replaced it. Yeah so the replacement works but it's far too small to be useful for much. Really un-enjoyable to fire it's so small and whacks the hand so hard. As a company, I'm just not too impressed. Lots of vapor ware, products that are never released or if finally released are so expensive and plagued with issues.

3. Chinese double barrel shotguns. I think imported by Centerfire. Got two of them. Poor fit and finish. Really hard to open after firing and the shells expand a little. Have to pry them open. And the end of one barrel bulged a little after minimal shooting/use.

These are the three companies and their guns that come to mind.

Overall however, I will say that you have to break a lot of eggs to make an omelette, and I took some chances here and there and overall feel that I came out ahead on buying. A few duds is not a big deal.

The big lesson I would pass on:
* Don't be an early adopter or beta tester. More often than not it's a mistake.
* Don't buy cheap/garbage guns, and avoid companies that have a known bad reputation like Taurus or Keltec.
* Don't buy cheap/garbage holsters or gun belts or gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,423 Times in 3,081 Posts

Father in law bought #2 son one of those crappy 20 gauge single shots they sell - recoil on it was very unpleasant

I bought a CZ52 pistol once for maybe $100 buck it was ok but really just a toy shooting a screwball round. Sold it from twice what I paid for it so in the end not a bad deal
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,340 Times in 11,462 Posts

AA arms AP-9 and a Enfield MP-45 . the AA arms cracked the plastic grip/lower receiver as they called it, at the magazine catch as regular as clockwork. that pice, because AA had to put the number on it instead of the receiver tube went from 55$ to between 125 and 175 $ . it would happen ever 400 rounds.
MP-45 was a all steel 45 cal mag fed pistol with a grip stuck on it. Made a STEN look like a fine piece of machinery. jam o matic that you could not find magazine replacements for. thing was tac welded together, bolt was to clunky/heavy, spring was too light and firing pin looked to have been made by using a drill press and a file. 4" barrel off the receiver, and file cut sights, range was about 10feet before using Kentucky windage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,255 Times in 2,664 Posts

The only gun I regret getting is the Kimber Solo. Itís the most finicky POS ever made. I have yet to fire it at the range without miss feeds or jams.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:42 PM
SB..too bad, what a waste

Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,268 Posts

Back in the mid to late 90's into early 2000's, a couple of Kimber 1911's, an AO 1911, six Springfield 1911's, and one of their SOCOM M1A's, and a couple of US made AK's. No love lost there.

Had a couple of Kel Tecs too, a P32 and an early SU-16. Not real fond of Kel Tec either.

This past decade, a SIG P238, the only SIG I ever had trouble with. To be fair, its "just another" 1911 clone that didnt live up, and not a true P series SIG.

A couple more, more recently, were a Mossberg 5.56 MVP Patrol, and a Marlin 336Y, both pretty crappy. The way things have gone with cars, trucks, and guns, Im starting more and more to stay away from "American made". Less trouble with the foreign stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,047 Times in 3,154 Posts

Any and all versions of the AR7. Great concept....crap for end result. Tried out the newer version from Henry, and that turned out to be a waste of time and money as well.

Had a CAR15 years ago. POS. Traded it off for a MAC90 and a Benelli 121 M1. I regretted buying it, but was happy to trade it off for 2 that I still have.

Other than the 121 M1, every other shotgun. Mav, Moss, Rem, Win, etc.....and especially the Saiga.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,157 Times in 1,602 Posts

Colt 45

Colt 70 Series Commander in 45 ACP. I worked at a gun shop and the "Forty-Five" was the only gun besides the old 45 Colt and maybe the 44 Magnum that could actually kill a bad guy. All the other wimpy Euro-Trash was worthless. I was 18 and my Dad had to do the paperwork to buy it.

Went to shoot it and it was a Jam-O Matic. The guys at the gun shop explained that you Just Can't Shoot it!!!, gotta polish the feed ramp and throat it, plus you need a new trigger, mainspring housing, recoil spring, real sights, etc. The thing was a "Black Hole" for my hard earned money. Was never 100% reliable. Sold.

Note: At the time, I could have bought an Italian Beretta 92S, Walther P38K, a Star BM or a Browning BDA (Sig 225/6) and any of them would have worked out of the box better than the Colt, without all the nonsense. I was 18 years old and listened to all the Vietnam Combat veterans I worked with and they were all wrong.

Their collective explanation for the gun's issues, was either it was my fault (young and dumb) and/or the United Auto Workers Union who built Colts, must have built another bad one.

Colt 380

The first Colt Mustang 380 auto. I had to be first and my reward was a Jam-O-Matic. First time I suspected the "Gun Press" lied for money, later confirmed after many years. Sold

Magnum Fever

629 Magna Classic in High Polished Stainless Steel. Awesome gun that I had no real use for. Sold.

Glock

Glock 22 in 40 S&W, same as the Colt Mustang, had to have it and be "first", cause the "Gun Press" said it was awesome. Mine came with the crappy million pound pull "New York" trigger. The only ammo available was hollow points in 20 round boxes. I shot around twice what I paid for the gun in ammo.

Other than the trigger and the high cost of ammo, it was a great gun. I did have some problems with Starline Brass ammo and I actually called the maker and their was some problem with the initial case specs and they sent me some new rounds that worked. Being "First" sucks.

Should have purchased a Gen 2 Glock 19 instead, probably would still have owned it. Never could find that Ceramic Glock 7 they had in the movies still looking for one of those, I even paid for a custom pommel holster to carry it in when riding my Unicorn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Space Force Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post

A couple more, more recently, were a Mossberg 5.56 MVP Patrol, and a Marlin 336Y, both pretty crappy. The way things have gone with cars, trucks, and guns, Im starting more and more to stay away from "American made". Less trouble with the foreign stuff.

What didn't you like about the MVP Patrol? I just ordered one through my LGS because I've seen mostly good reviews about it and my girlfriend has one and I've never heard her mention anything negative about it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,047 Times in 3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
What didn't you like about the MVP Patrol? I just ordered one through my LGS because I've seen mostly good reviews about it and my girlfriend has one and I've never heard her mention anything negative about it.
The one I evaluated wouldn't reliably feed from CMI M14 mags. ( A neat little feature if you own and use M14s)
The mag it came with fed fine however.
It may have been an issue with that specific rifle, but I lost interest in it soon after.

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
remington 870 around 2009/2010.. the finish is crap, seems half the parts are cast.. i have to keep the thing coated in oil or else it'll rust just looking at it, and i've since come to realize i have pretty much no use for a pump shotgun.. i will in all likeliness sell it or give it away and get a double-barrel or single shot to replace it for those little occasions (like hunting pheasant) where i would need one

also i have a pietta 1860 army.. seems something breaks every time you use it, i should have gotten an 1858 instead
I have no love for any of the Newer Remington Shotguns. But I love the older 870 Wingmasters and 1100's. A close 2nd is the Ithaca Model 37's. I wouldn't part with them ever. With all the complaints I've seen from friends and relatives that are pretty vocal to Remington about the new junk that is coming out of there factory, you would think they would pull there head out of there A%*&% and do better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaska Taku For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
What didn't you like about the MVP Patrol?
My biggest complaint was the action. Hitchy as hell. Half the time, the round would not chamber, and you had to pull the bolt back slightly and then go forward again to get it chambered and the bolt closed. Pretty screwed up and distracting as hell.

AR mags seemed like a good idea at the time, but youre limited to what fits in them, so if you want heavier/longer bullets, they may or may not work, depending on the OAL.

Accuracy was meh. Not any kind of tack driver by any means.

Stock is kind of crappy, and at the very least, needs filling with something. Also comes with a recoil pad, and no butt plates are available.

I was actually looking for a Ruger American at the time, but none could be found. Saw an ad for the Mossberg, and figured Id give it a try. Once I did get to see the Ruger, I would have passed on it too. The Savage Hog Hunter would be my choice, but the barrel was a bit longer than I wanted.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanks.

I'll probably go against your experience and take the plunge on the rifle. I definitely like the concept of a bolt action rifle that takes AR magazines. I'm not against working on the rifle, it's just going to be a fun gun/project gun. Nothing I'd bring with me in to battle or rely upon in a life or death situation.

Since you do mention that though I will probably bring a few different magazines and a couple snap caps to test out the rifles function (minus live fire) before I do buy it though to make sure it's not even worse than what you describe.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Hey, good luck. Hope it works out better for you than it did me.

The 5.56's bolt has a weird little flapper on it that the 7.62 version doesnt. I suspected that was a cause of a lot of the trouble.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Space Force Recruit

I'm hoping so too. What's the flapper for?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Strips the rounds off the mag.

Its a hokey set up at best, and looked awful fragile to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,298 Times in 593 Posts

both Sig p226s i had were a pos...Sig USA has QC and CS on par with Century Arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,045 Times in 7,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Taku View Post
I have no love for any of the Newer Remington Shotguns. But I love the older 870 Wingmasters and 1100's. A close 2nd is the Ithaca Model 37's. I wouldn't part with them ever. With all the complaints I've seen from friends and relatives that are pretty vocal to Remington about the new junk that is coming out of there factory, you would think they would pull there head out of there A%*&% and do better.
well, since i wont be using a shotgun for defense or combat theres no reason for me to have a pump anymore, since if i decided to hunt birds again an over/under would work just fine.. but if i did get another pump just to have a pump ive always said itd be an older steel framed ithaca
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post: