Budget shtf long gun - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SHTF plan on a budget warhawk-77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 58 08-12-2016 07:04 AM
Long range budget rifle build Ole Grunt Firearms General Discussion 15 12-14-2015 10:48 PM
Long term food prep on a budget NoahsMomma429 Food and water 35 11-21-2015 08:54 AM
My take on bare minimum low budget/no budget 3 gun set sgtmcboom Firearms General Discussion 15 10-21-2015 10:09 AM
Long range on a budget. AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-07-2015 08:30 PM
Is this a good budget SHTF gun? Beowulf Military Weapons Forum 25 02-27-2012 11:33 PM
Which is better combo for SHTF on a budget? platonic Firearms General Discussion 62 05-16-2011 08:24 AM
On A Budget For The SHTF? Here is some Inspiration. Bosco Warden DIY - Do It Yourself 9 05-13-2011 04:34 PM
Post SHTF Power Budget Pinhead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 11-13-2009 04:23 AM
Long term power outages? how do I heat my home on a budget? shireart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 09-18-2009 12:33 AM

Old 05-04-2016, 02:48 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Mavrick 88 with slug barrel. Used pawn shop rifle in the caliber you prefer take it to the range and if it don't work for you take the rifle back and trade for another. I have bought almost all of my firearms used with few complaints. I don't buy for looks, I buy for use mostly hunting and some target. Set up for reloading and tweak the ammo to your own needs.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to seawolf101 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab5392 View Post
Mosin's are getting more expensive, and so is their ammo. I enjoy my mosin, but if I were to do over at this point in time it would be with another firearm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Mosins were great when they were $99. Not so much now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyCutter View Post
I said the Mosin is too slow for close range. It's got a clunky crude bolt, which gets sticky and difficult to extract. Whipping out a mallet to beat the Mosin's bolt open in the middle of a firefight would be less than ideal.

Also the Mosin is heavy, and the 91/30s are very long, so they are slower to bring to bear on target.

The 7.62x54r's projectile is steller if it actually connects with flesh.
This sums it up about the limitations of the Mosin in my opinion. Not that it is a bad rifle, it just doesn't seem to have the allure it once did.

I owned a Mosin at one time. After some time I decided it wasn't right for me so I traded it and haven't looked back.
The Following User Says Thank You to roger556 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,713 Times in 7,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDusten. View Post
Due to budget lately I'm sadly restricted to $300 for a long gun and can't decide between a 12 guage shotgun (pump) or a mosin nagant.What are some pros and cons of each? Haven't seen a mosin worth buying locally but I saw a used Remington 870 at gander mountain yesterday for $199 and I'm very tempted to buy it due to the versatility of a pump shotgun. However if anybody has ideas for another weapon that would make a great "all around" defensive/hunting weapon around the $300 price range other than the two stated above. Thanks in advance for any advice
Clearly the shotgun. It's versatile, can use any 12 gauge ammo, and far more useful for a variety of tasks. The Mosin is a very poor HD rifle, and of no use hunting anything other than medium or large game. It's really best at slow single shots. Ammo is rare-ish for the Mosin, and very rare if you are looking for hunting ammo.

A pump is among the best HD long guns with buckshot or slugs. You can harvest any game with the right ammo too. Probably 50% of households and 100% of sporting goods and gun stores carry some 12 gauge ammo. Very very common. It is always on sale too.

No question, the pump is far superior for SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,325 Times in 5,574 Posts

Shotgun and rifle are about as far apart as handgun and shotgun. What are you planning to hunt and what are you planning to defend? If you live in town, are defending your apartment, and plan on hunting stray dogs for food, maybe a handgun would be better. There are lots of new 9mm handguns in the $230-350 range.

I have some Mosins. If you get one, don't order it off the internet. Buy one in person that is accurate and it will be an accurate rifle. A little time spent on it and the bolt won't stick and will operate much smoother. There are lots of sub $300 rifles around here after dear season. Some with basic scopes. The newer bolt action in .30-06 and .243 tend to go for less, but it may be a regional preference.

There are no SKSs in my state anywhere that are close to the $300 price range. They're more like $450 or more. At that price, save up and get a low end AR.

A shotgun is probably the easiest route to go, but if you get it all configured for home defense, you may not be able to hunt with it as easily. I see $100-$200 used hunting pump shotguns all the time around here. They're long barreled, heavy, more unwieldy than a Mosin, and buckshot will cost more. But it's a cheap starting point. A light rabbit/quail load, a heavier pheasant/duck load, buck shot, and slugs will give you hunting and defense options. You can go with the new shorter $200 tacticalized pumps, but like I said, they may make it harder to hunt.

I bird hunt with a 30" single shot 12 ga shotgun that cost me $50. Maybe hit the pawn stores and see if they have a beat up old shotgun and rifle (especially an odd homemade sporter) that look rough but are in good working order. You may be able to get both if you don't care about winning a fashion show with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Hiker

for $300 you might be able to get two: used (20ga if you want softer shooting but still effective) shotgun and 22lr rifle. if you can have a handgun in your locale substitute for the rifle a new heritage roughrider single action 22lr revolver (great teaching, learning, plinking tool). dont be afraid to buy used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstert For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Nemo me impune lacessit

Location: Near where Indiana, Michigan and Lake Michigan meet.
Thanked 3,229 Times in 2,014 Posts

IMO as always it depends on purpose. Shot gun is a good all around tool. Mosin is a much longer range tool. You might also consider the Hi Point carbine in a pistol caliber. Could be defense, hunting or just target fun. Later if you come up with more cash you could get a handgun in the same caliber. Only one ammo to buy. While I recommend the carbine I don't care for their handguns. I own all three.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragon Tamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,385 Times in 607 Posts

Of those two choices, if I was in your situation, I'd go for the 870. Put some of the rest into ammo, and start saving for another barrel, slug barrel if you didn't get it in the first place, or maybe a home defense, or whatever.

I've been lucky enough to pick up some good Mosins, but I've had to go through a bunch to get there.

Have you checked your local pawn shops? I've acquired some nice stuff in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to broncoII For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Prepared

I guess I'll be the odd man out by taking the Mosin over the shotgun.

Shotguns have a lot of versatility, but a shotgun will never be a rifle. No matter what. Now if your expected targets are at 40-50 yards or less the shotgun may be the better choice. But if you think you will need this or a long gun at anything over 75-100 yards then the Mosin is the only way to go.

Side note - you may find some modern used bolt action rifles such as a Savage 110, hopefully even with iron sights for right at $300.

Regards,

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob62 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 30,385 Times in 4,690 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to Big-D For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Mad Trapper

Buy a Savage Axis in 308, only slightly more money than a 60+ year old Mosin Nagant, but 10x better rifle in a caliber that can be easy to find.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,111 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDusten. View Post
Due to budget lately I'm sadly restricted to $300 for a long gun and can't decide between a 12 guage shotgun (pump) or a mosin nagant.What are some pros and cons of each? Haven't seen a mosin worth buying locally but I saw a used Remington 870 at gander mountain yesterday for $199 and I'm very tempted to buy it due to the versatility of a pump shotgun. However if anybody has ideas for another weapon that would make a great "all around" defensive/hunting weapon around the $300 price range other than the two stated above. Thanks in advance for any advice
No question. 870 in 12 Ga (Slug or shot) will kill anything you are apt to have a chance against.

Try the pawn shops as 870's (look for 3") tend to go cheap(er) and the older ones are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better (Pre-lock).

With the money you save, consider an H&R single shot center fire rifle.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Savage Axis is a good choice as is the Remington model 783. Lots of caliber choices in both long and short action. A good friend just picked up a 783 at Cabela's in .308 calibre. Price out the door, with tax and a box of shells was just over $300, and that included a 3-9 scope!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Trapper

The shotgun is always a good choice. Shoots both shot and slugs for some flexibility. If you're looking at a SHTF rifle, consider the High Point pistol caliber carbines. Come in .380, 9 mm, .40 and .45 ACP. Cheap, durable, lifetime warranty (until Armageddon) and can be used as a club when you can no longer find ammo. Throw it in the truck or BOB until needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quasar86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM
You can't fix stupid

No to discredit either of the OP's 2 options but you may consider one of the Hi Point Carbines. (let the flaming begin)

I have never owned a Hi Point but have been considering a carbine to consolidate calibers. A new carbine is well under $300 allowing the purchase of a couple extra magazines.

With a 16" barreled carbine you could push a standard velocity 45 ACP 185 grain bullet to 1100fps, gaining 170 fps over the same round fired from a 4" pistol. Shooting a 9mm carbine you'd be able to push a 105 grain bullet to 1350 fps, gaining 200 fps over a 4" barreled pistol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizzyfun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Desert Rat

Get the shotgun and buy a IC barrel for it for about 89 bucks on line. Mossberg makes a nice IC barrel for the Remington 870 for around 100 dollars, but I have seen them for 59. When you get more money you can always buy a rifle later, but you can do most anything short of 100 yards with an 870 with those two barrels. For home defense the smooth bore IC barrel can't be beat, but with the rifled barrel also you have the best of both worlds. Since you are in the East, many areas won't let you hunt with a center fire rifle anyway. I know in Southern Michigan it's shotgun only below Jackson MI or it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anishinabi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Buy an SKS. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, easy to maintain, not too short, not too long, accurate and reliable. You can hunt with it, kill zombies, easy to carry bug out weapon and is really a great iron sight weapon. My $.02. I own a Russian SKS a Chinese Norinco SKS, an 870 12 gauge a Mosin, Mauser, K31 and many others long guns including an AK and an AR and the SKS would be my choice. I don't bird hunt to the 870 would not be a finalist for me.

Thx,

Derek
The Following User Says Thank You to Dxtac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 PM

If I could only have 1 long gun it would definitely be a Remington 870. The most versatile long gun for the money. If you want a semi auto rifle, a great choice is the SKS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DVF07512 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 PM

If you go a little higher into the $400+ range, an Anderson arms AR or Rossi 92 in .357/44mag/45LC/454 casull would be great choices.
The Following User Says Thank You to maersk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,210 Times in 2,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyCutter View Post
I said the Mosin is too slow for close range. It's got a clunky crude bolt, which gets sticky and difficult to extract. Whipping out a mallet to beat the Mosin's bolt open in the middle of a firefight would be less than ideal.

Also the Mosin is heavy, and the 91/30s are very long, so they are slower to bring to bear on target.

The 7.62x54r's projectile is steller if it actually connects with flesh.

I've got a half-dozen milsurps, and they all trounce the Mosin in terms of accuracy. Yeah, a squad of Russians could fire on a squad of Germans during WW2 and get some hits, but during a survival situation the Mosin is not minute-of-varmint... and not really mano-v-mano accurate either. By the time you get in range, the Mosin is handicapped by it's clumsiness.
I agree with most of what you said, but the bolt can be made to have a smoother action with a really good polish. No of course it will not be like a modern day bolt action, but will smoother nonetheless. Mine is not too bad, but yeah I would not match up in a close range confrontation against even a 12g.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM

Always have a shotgun, much more versatile than a rifle for survival. Get a rifle later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadCrowPoe For This Useful Post: