Shotgun vs 22 - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay, shotgun experts, which shotgun is this? sarge912 Shotgun Forum 45 10-19-2015 05:43 PM
Silly question + shotgun question for a shotgun newbie robfindlay Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 12-22-2014 10:57 PM
shotgun with rifled barrel...shotgun or rifle? lexmark Shotgun Forum 15 09-04-2013 07:54 PM
could we please to call a shotgun a SHOTGUN wtr100 Shotgun Forum 84 08-27-2013 06:37 PM
What shotgun is this? Prime Oddity Shotgun Forum 2 04-10-2012 08:03 PM
Just got my first shotgun.... Robb Firearms General Discussion 9 04-07-2012 01:44 AM
shotgun eddiebolden Shotgun Forum 34 11-07-2011 05:38 PM
what shotgun to get Nivek Shotgun Forum 4 11-23-2008 09:49 PM
My next shotgun... Gunner65 Shotgun Forum 4 10-07-2008 07:03 PM
AA-12 Shotgun undisclosed Firearms General Discussion 3 02-05-2008 07:58 AM

Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,631 Times in 2,345 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratbastard View Post
How many of us are pack mules? In a bug out scenario (especially if on foot and bearing a pack or other gear also) I myself simply could not consider carrying a "secondary" long arm. The one I will be carrying will be a shotgun (if expecting the bulk of my egress to be through urban/suburban crowded areas) or an AR (if the bulk is through the field). I would not choose a .22 for this specific endeavor.

Once in place, safely at your BOL, the .22 you have waiting there will come into service for small game and be invaluable.

If you have a stocked buyout location than why are you bugging out? You should already be living there.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
My bug out weapons are a Springfield M-6 with Scout Scope and a Ruger MK i pistol with a 10" Paclite barrel that aluminum with a steel barrel insert. It also has a scope on it.

The M-6 has #7 bird shot, "buck shot" (basically 3 .30 caliber roundballs in a shell) flares, and flecette rounds as well as slugs.

The M-6 with a slug will drop a deep out to 60+ yards with good shot placement.

I also carry subsonic CB.22 ammo for the M-6 so as not to let everyone in the woods knows I'm shooting my dinner. The hammer falling makes more noise than tha bullet itself.

When I bug out, I plan to be very quiet, staying off the beaten path.

The M-6 will fold in half and slide right into my Camelbak with other grab and go accessories. The MK-1 will be more readily available for defense if it comes to that. It's all about the stealth to me.

Stay away from all that high power .22 crap. Use .22 long rifle for best accuracy. Standard is what I used to practice with back many moons ago when I was in the Junior NRA rifle team at our shooting range. If you couldn't place a quarter sized group at 100 yards, you weren't getting a medal at the end of the day.

Most importantly, practice with what you're going to use, when you get good with it, practice some more.. Keep it clean inside and out. Then practice some more.
I like your weapon of choice, but I don't like the stats I get from the .410 slug.
Using Federal's charts, a 109 gr. (Foster?) slug leaves the barrel @ 1775 fs, yielding almost 763 ft./lbs ME.
However, averaging the energies found at 50 and 75 yards, it appears it will be making less than 400 ft./lbs. @ approx. 60 yards.
Those are pretty slim numbers, but when your alternative is a .22 LR, I suppose it could be considered a Godsend.
I would like to see an "M-6A", where the chambering is increased to 28 ga./.22 Hornet.
Still compact and light, but with much more effective firepower.
Any Remington or Winchester 45 gr. loading for the Hornet almost equals the .410's ME and will undoubtedly hold onto more of that energy by the time the bullet reaches 60 yards (440 @ 100 yds, according to Federal's charts).
While Federal doesn't make a slug load for the 28, if one needed to create one on the spot, they could do a cut shell.
The High Velocity Wing Shok load pushes 3/4 oz. of shot (5's-8's) out of the barrel at 1295 fs.
That yields an ME of almost 1222 ft./lbs.
Given the same percentage of energy loss that the .410 experienced, the cut 28 would still yield over 600 ft./lbs. at the same distance.

DCman
Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratbastard View Post
How many of us are pack mules? In a bug out scenario (especially if on foot and bearing a pack or other gear also) I myself simply could not consider carrying a "secondary" long arm. The one I will be carrying will be a shotgun (if expecting the bulk of my egress to be through urban/suburban crowded areas) or an AR (if the bulk is through the field). I would not choose a .22 for this specific endeavor.
Once in place, safely at your BOL, the .22 you have waiting there will come into service for small game and be invaluable.
That is a solid plan . having a .22 buried or locked up at a BOL for game getting. Use a good defensive weapon to get there. Well said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,423 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
If you have a stocked buyout location than why are you bugging out? You should already be living there.
I think that it's pretty obvious, and I'm a bit surprised anyone would ask. That certainly could be ideal, sure, for some. However, already living there out in the boonies would mean a person has no other responsibilities requiring a residence in town... no kids in school, no job or earning requirements, no businesses owned and operated, etc... etc... etc.... Having a place to go to which is completely ready is already a major achievement for most of us. Being able to pick up and go live there NOW while civilization/society is still in place is more difficult, and sometimes not even the best plan for your family financially. If things collapsed tomorrow, being there already would be a definite plus LOL. However, if things chug along another 5 or 6 years, I would lose a lot of opportunities in the meantime... opportunities which INCREASE my stock and further secure my family's future. So that's why I (and likely many others) are not "already living there". Many things are better facilitated here, with the BOL there waiting.
The Following User Says Thank You to stratbastard For This Useful Post: