smart guns, a slippery slope? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Researchers Propose Remotely Disabled Smart Guns AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-10-2014 09:00 PM
Proponents of 'smart guns' say NRA is the main obstacle Catfish11 Firearms General Discussion 32 08-13-2014 06:05 PM
Yes, There Is A Market for Smart Guns (Or, At Least, There Will Be) AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-13-2014 12:00 PM
Smart Guns will Nullify the Second Amendment AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 02-22-2014 03:24 AM
Smart guns and N.J. law marbro Political News and Discussion 46 02-21-2014 06:41 PM
Coming soon? RFID "smart guns" ? MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 27 07-30-2013 06:02 AM
Our slide down the slippery slope... Jojo Ladies Section 79 03-18-2012 05:16 PM
The slippery slope, mathematically quantified Angry Cow Jokes, Humor & Music 0 06-26-2011 07:36 PM
On the slippery slope, of the UK and grabbers Halkon Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 02-10-2009 10:05 PM

Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 AM

Default smart guns, a slippery slope?

Advertise Here

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-gu...-lesley-stahl/

so i wanted to find out what you guys thought about this. it seems to me it may have certain applications. i would never want one in my collection though.

then there is the current NJ mandate...
https://smarttechfoundation.org/new-...t-gun-mandate/

now they are considering changing the bill to only "offering" smart guns, but have not yet. i just dont like the smell of this either way. one day it will be total control over what you can have, they just take small steps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to familyof4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,428 Times in 4,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyof4 View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-gu...-lesley-stahl/

so i wanted to find out what you guys thought about this. it seems to me it may have certain applications. i would never want one in my collection though.

then there is the current NJ mandate...
https://smarttechfoundation.org/new-...t-gun-mandate/

now they are considering changing the bill to only "offering" smart guns, but have not yet. i just dont like the smell of this either way. one day it will be total control over what you can have, they just take small steps.
From the article:

"These guns would not have prevented many of the mass shootings because the gunmen owned the firearms"

Putting trust in a supposed "smart gun" is nothing like putting trust in one's self. There are too many things that can go wrong with this tech, it can get dirty and not read your print, your hand can be dirty and it may not read your print, the battery could go bad, if you drop the firearm it could break the tech, since its electronic it could be hacked, the thing inside of the firearm that blocks it from being fired could malfunction by either allowing it to be fired when it shouldn't or the opposite. There are lots of things that can go wrong with it.

If someone wants to buy a "smart gun" good for them but people shouldn't be forced to buy something that they don't feel comfortable with buying...

All it will take is one incident where the gun isn't as smart as the inventor thought it was and that will be the end of that...lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,360 Posts

Spoke to an LEO about his opinion on smart guns. According to him, It would be a public safety risk to put their life in the hands of a gun that may fail when you need it the most.

Asked in another light, would the POTUS entrust his guards to 'smart guns' if there was a chance of failure.

Would be a lawsuit waiting to happen to put smart-gun manufactotrs out of business. But that is really what these people want, gun manufactors out of business.

Almost any electronics that I know of can be hacked or 'crapped out' by neighboring electronic interference. Would make the application of 'safe gun' unusable if there were an emp event.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Μολών Λaβέ

Thanked 2,789 Times in 654 Posts

My phone has a fingerprint reader. I usually have to swipe four or five times for it to work. I am glad my carry gun will never have that problem.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Porkchop Samich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,422 Times in 3,080 Posts

all .gov and .leo guns first
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,468 Times in 2,306 Posts

Current NJ law says that 3 years after the first smart gun is sold in the US, only smart guns can be sold in NJ. Of coursed NJ gun owners don't want this.

Three shops have announced they were stocking smart guns in the last few years. All three received so many calls and threats that they changed their mind before they sold any. None of these shops were in NJ.

NJ Senator Loretta Weinstein wants to repeal the NJ law so that smart guns will start to be sold. She can't be trusted. Here's a sound bite of her talking when she thought her mic was off. She tells a staffer that they need a law to "confiscate, confiscate, confiscate".

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...te-confiscate/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop Samich View Post
My phone has a fingerprint reader. I usually have to swipe four or five times for it to work. I am glad my carry gun will never have that problem.
I have worked with bio-metrics in large areas, and they are usually two or three tries before it reads properly. There are too many variables for a reliable read each and every time.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,229 Times in 4,281 Posts

they are not ready yet, but the tech will get to a point where it works fine.

Im interested in electronic triggers (not so much smart guns). super light trigger pulls, multi round bursts etc

electronics can be made very reliable.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,410 Times in 10,407 Posts

I happened to catch the 60 minutes episode on Smart guns. It was very interesting about the issue with New Jersey's law concerning them. Pretty stupid law. Personally I do not see a problem with selling people a smart gun if they want to own one. It is only the fact of meddling anti-gun folks that create a issue of the whole concept. Thanks to NJ law I do not see the idea going anywhere.

I do not buy all the rabid arguments about the gun not working as being anything but a defensive reaction to the fear of gun registration and regulation. If a product does not work people will not want it. It is a shame that both sides of the gun ownership issue have such emotional reactions to a hunk of metal, wood and plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Nemo me impune lacessit

Location: Near where Indiana, Michigan and Lake Michigan meet.
Thanked 3,229 Times in 2,014 Posts

Don't need any. Don't want any. Will never own any. I know what I have will fire first time every time in my hands or my wife's or either daughter's.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,965 Times in 769 Posts

I'll buy mine as soon as the Military and LEO's start using them
Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
they are not ready yet, but the tech will get to a point where it works fine.
They are already being sold, so them being 'ready' is a moot point.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,951 Times in 2,201 Posts

Yes all guns need to be smart guns. If anyone is found to have a dumb gun it is to be instantly confiscated, the holder arrested, fined and their property searched with all prohibited assets confiscated. These steps will make everyone safer, and here are more improvements that can be added for all weapons issued from civilian to LEO to military.

Each gun is to have a blinking red/green LED so the target will know the aggressors abilities. There would never be anymore hostage situations where a swat team had to be called in. A satellite signal could just transmit a shutdown signal for entire city sectors, this would eliminate all gang activity and drive by shootings where innocent children are harmed or killed. Each registered weapon will allow for home protection by calling 911 and having dispatch enable the weapon, this is to prevent children from mishandling guns.

Each weapon is to have WiFi so they can receive updates to their allowed status. Here you can control hunting, and poaching, by enabling areas and seasons for allowed weapons fire. You will also be able to determine who owes fees for tags and hunting licenses when a recorded discharge is uploaded. With the GPS function there will be no guessing as to who is entitled to the processing fees.

Police and military would no longer have to worry about ROI or if the strike was proportional to the needed response. The government through unit handlers would determine when and where weapons would need to go hot. This is already done with fighter aircraft and combat ships, it just adds another layer of protection against mistakes the unqualified can make.

It is foreseeable that not every instance can be covered at once so an SOS trigger pull signal can send an alert application for a handler to investigate a fire request. With the above WiFi connection voice over internet can get people speaking quickly and get the process going that much faster.
With these changes everyone gets what they want, safer guns, only responsible people with discharge permissions, and the bad guys unable to operate SMART GUNS.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,428 Times in 4,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
Yes all guns need to be smart guns. If anyone is found to have a dumb gun it is to be instantly confiscated, the holder arrested, fined and their property searched with all prohibited assets confiscated. These steps will make everyone safer, and here are more improvements that can be added for all weapons issued from civilian to LEO to military.

Each gun is to have a blinking red/green LED so the target will know the aggressors abilities. There would never be anymore hostage situations where a swat team had to be called in. A satellite signal could just transmit a shutdown signal for entire city sectors, this would eliminate all gang activity and drive by shootings where innocent children are harmed or killed. Each registered weapon will allow for home protection by calling 911 and having dispatch enable the weapon, this is to prevent children from mishandling guns.

Each weapon is to have WiFi so they can receive updates to their allowed status. Here you can control hunting, and poaching, by enabling areas and seasons for allowed weapons fire. You will also be able to determine who owes fees for tags and hunting licenses when a recorded discharge is uploaded. With the GPS function there will be no guessing as to who is entitled to the processing fees.

Police and military would no longer have to worry about ROI or if the strike was proportional to the needed response. The government through unit handlers would determine when and where weapons would need to go hot. This is already done with fighter aircraft and combat ships, it just adds another layer of protection against mistakes the unqualified can make.

It is foreseeable that not every instance can be covered at once so an SOS trigger pull signal can send an alert application for a handler to investigate a fire request. With the above WiFi connection voice over internet can get people speaking quickly and get the process going that much faster.
With these changes everyone gets what they want, safer guns, only responsible people with discharge permissions, and the bad guys unable to operate SMART GUNS.
Yeah, it would work something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypFgcqHyvc
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Ephemerally here

Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,739 Posts

Further, as soon as the Electronic Smart Gun is Wireless, then you could have Adjustable "Active Gun Denial Zones" or "Republican Voter Exclusionary Zones", or "Civil Unrest Gunfire Exclusionary Zones", and Countless other Failures of the System.
The Following User Says Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post

Yeah, that was about right.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Ready, willing, and able

Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,201 Posts

I don't like it either. It can lead (if not already happening) the government knowing exactly when and where you touched your firearm.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 30,142 Times in 6,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post

Scary vid. But it's pure fantasy, because it won't be a $14 charge; it'd more likely be a $1000 or $5000. "Hey, who wouldn't spend 'a few dollars" to save themselves or their family?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker View Post
Scary vid. But it's pure fantasy, because it won't be a $14 charge; it'd more likely be a $1000 or $5000. "Hey, who wouldn't spend 'a few dollars" to save themselves or their family?"
Or a yearly 'firearms tax' for ownership and/or use?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,229 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Tamer View Post
Don't need any. Don't want any. Will never own any. I know what I have will fire first time every time in my hands or my wife's or either daughter's.
Im sure people said the same thing about semi autos. (and guns when they were first invented vs knives, swords and bows).

You cant stop progress.