What are the best guns for preppers? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Vegan Preppers or Preppers with Allergies to food RebelQueen Food and water 67 10-01-2018 11:07 PM
Identifying other possible preppers (Doomsday Preppers?) goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 100 07-01-2018 05:11 PM
**Ladies Section** Any Vegan preppers or allergic to food preppers? RebelQueen Ladies Section 29 03-31-2016 05:13 PM
Machine Guns for Country Cops ? 161 Federal Guns for 31 Officers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 07-29-2015 12:29 PM
The Filmography of Guns Documents Iconic Guns in Popular Culture AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-04-2014 04:00 PM
School officials deeply troubled over guns appearing ON SIGNS BANNING GUNS MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 24 02-07-2014 01:24 PM
Article On Chicago-Area Preppers And Guns ghettosuperstar Firearms General Discussion 7 02-10-2013 10:15 AM
Booming guns sales: preppers, zombies and obama fsck General Discussion 9 04-05-2012 03:23 PM
Preppers with no guns??? CTPATRIOT General Discussion 262 08-20-2011 11:48 AM

Old 09-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,540 Times in 6,907 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by niick View Post
I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

Ok, I rambled enough. What are your thoughts about all of this?
I would suggest a 12 G pump shotgun something along the lines of a Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or Remington 870 (price range $250-300). A .22 lr rifle like a Ruger 10/22 or 10/22 takedown (price range $180-250) ane a 9mm or .40 cal handgun of your choosing ($300-500). Those to me are the basic essentials.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,406 Times in 4,918 Posts

Ya needs to hold'em in ya hands and fire them. Go to a range and rent the ones that feel good in the hand then decide after firing them...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 AM

Default What are the best guns for preppers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
yes, i know all of that but generally speaking you can kill anything with a 20.. a 12 may make things require a bit less effort on your part, but buckshot, birdshot and slugs with a 20 and you can get game of all shapes and sizes or be effective for self defense with cheaper, lighter, easier to stockpile ammo

Not really...

20 Gauge is available, but nowhere near the same availability.

Also, it is a smaller shell, so you can have similar shot in there, but you won't get the same amount of pellets. That does cut down weight, but also cuts down on effectiveness.

If the 20 was so great, you'd see it stocked more than it is. Plus, you'd have a wider selection of loads. It is a great slug platform, as well as for very recoil sensitive shooters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Screwball For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,042 Times in 7,345 Posts

sure it wont be as "effective" say if you were hunting duck or geese.. that is, you wont have as much shot so you have to be a little bit closer to target with it but itll quite certainly bring them down and put food on the fire

and i see 20 stocked quite a lot and at much lower cost per round too.. i wouldnt go any smaller than a .20 but i wouldnt feel underpowered with it either
Old 09-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,391 Times in 10,398 Posts

Sort of a mis-titled thread. What the OP really asks for is what would be the best guns for him. Considering he has very little knowledge of guns, and seeks to learn, it changes the dynamics of the responses. Not knowing his age and legal status for owning any particular weapon requires some assumptions to be made.

I would suggest starting with learning about safety and also how guns function. Learn the correct terms. Decide which gun would be most likely to be used by him so that training and practice can happen. If he is going to own guns he needs to understand the potential hazards as well as the requirements.

There is no "best gun". There are tools to fit applications.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,290 Times in 5,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstert View Post
start simple and easy. find a shooting range for practice. first purchases were a used $200 taurus 85 steel 38spec snubbie revolver, a new $120 marlin 795 22lr semi auto rifle and a used $100 h&r single 20ga shotgun. a used $300 ruger 22lr/wmr single action revolver soon followed, with others. all are easily mastered, eat commonly found ammo, simple to feed & clean, and nontactical (if you live in a gun unfriendly place). all are effective tools, outside of combat, for teaching, learning, plinking, defense, hunting. the most important thing is to pick one to start exercising your 2a rights.
Every person I've taught to shoot and every person anyone I've known that have taught their kids to shoot has started them on a .22 rifle. Every kid's camp and the local 4H youth shooting program used .22 rifles. It's easier to teach muzzle discipline when you can easily see them drifting the muzzle. With a pistol they can turn it too quickly. We're talking about 8-10 year olds, so they don't have the best attention spans, but I've seen enough people at ranges that shouldn't be handing handguns yet.

After multiple trips out praticing muzzle discipline, trigger, safety, iron sight shooting, and they get good at hitting targets, we move them to scopes and further distances to show the affects breathing and steadying have on results. By the time they are good at hitting targets, safety has almost become routine and we up the firepower.

As teens the bigger stuff starts to interest them more. My daughters still like to shoot .22 because it's an easy on you plinking round. I like it because it's cheaper. They learned handgun on a Ruger .22lr/.22 magnum SA revolver. It's again, a slower, more controlled, and deliberate environment. You could probably move into a regular handgun at this point since I assume you're older than 12.

Once they can hit things consistently, I moved them up in caliber and went through the basics of automatic vs SA revolver operation using my father in laws 1911. They moved up from .22 to 7.62x39 and nothing really changed other than teaching them to watch the stance to absorb the recoil. They aren't that fond of .308 but did well with my brother's scoped .243.

This occured over years, but not because it took that long time wise, we just didn't get out often enough. So your progression is dependent on training time. Try to shoot a wide variety of revolvers, semi-auto handguns, bolt action and semi-auto rifles in various calibers, but remember the target.

Once you get the basics down pat, you can buy a gun and blame it for you missing. Starting simple lets you focus on safety and the target, not the gun.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Never Surrender...never..

Thanked 1,698 Times in 664 Posts

Niick

Its a tough question to answer because as a lot of people have pointed out here...it depends on your circumstances. But as a general rule a rifle, shotgun and pistol would be the optimum choice if you can afford all three. And remember buying the gun is just the start...then there is the cost of ammo and training so if budget constraints are a factor I would start with a shotgun as its probably the most versatile and your most likely defense situation in a SHTF scenario will be home invasion.

I know this may sound a little too redneck but you can't have too many guns in my humble opinion. Although my wife would disagree as she says I can only shoot one at a time!!!

Assess you needs relative to the most realistic scenario you may find yourself in and then match your purchase to that keeping in mind that you want to have money for ammo and quality training on your firearm and some basic tactics.

I have an AR, 9mm pistol and shotgun as my basic kit as in my situation I will either be bugging in(suburbia) or bugging out to the cottage which is heavily wooded and max visible range will be in the neighborhood of 100yds or so ...so I don't need a high powered rifle...again I anticipate the most likely scenario for my defense is either home invasion or perimeter defense out to about 100 yds.

I have an extra AR and a couple of SKS's to arm my children if necessary and an extra pistol as a backup. But I am always reviewing my needs and recently decided I need something in 308 caliber to give me a little extra range just in case.

Again as mentioned sooooo many factors go into a good decision...so in the absence of knowing what you need start simple and small(i.e. 12ga or 22lr is also a good choice) and go from there until you figure out your needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianInfidel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,222 Times in 4,276 Posts

Quote:
I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

9mm mid sized semi auto like glock 19
Semi auto ar15 in 223
22lr semi auto ruger 10/22
MAverick 88 (mossberg shotgun)

Here are my reasons most available and affordable ammo means you can practice more

Most common platforms means the guns are affordable and hills their value

Cover everything except long range shooting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Prepared

I'll give you some sound advice personally I believe for home protection, versatility, and for cost a 12 gauge pump shotgun. You say you don't carry but you like to have something you can conceal. Then I say a weapon capable of a high capacity of ammunition and firepower in a common caliber - AR or AK pistol whatever your flavor / budget.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 PM
are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
.357 4" revolver,12 ga pump like a Mossberg 500 and a nice little .223 carbine..

For the beginner, this is the best combo IMO.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Handgun: Beretta 92f
Shotgun: Stoeger SxS
Rifle: meh! Pick one....
Old 09-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Minimal, AR15 with 22lr conversion kit with a 9mm sidearm with 22lr conversion kit. That's the cheaper route to go.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:51 PM

I see a whole lot of hot air here.

The fellow that said the best is the simplest, is correct.

Find yourself a good used Remington 870 pump made before 1987. If you shoot left-handed, don't fear, there are plenty of LH 870s of 1980s vintage out there.

For a handgun, get a K-frame Smith & Wesson, one made before they put those idiotic integral locks on them. Plenty of those around also, and you can still find a bargain.

For a rifle...well, that's a bit more complex, since you don't have prior experience. I'd suggest joining a gun club, and asking the members if you can shoot their guns. Rifle choices are highly subjective. One thing you should certainly do is to choose a rifle in a current or former U.S. military caliber: .308, .223, or 30-06, etc; that way you won't have much trouble finding ammunition.

Above all, remember that practice makes perfect. Find arms that you are comfortable with, and let them be your constant companions (paraphrasing Thomas Jefferson).
The Following User Says Thank You to Savage30L For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

Thanked 1,032 Times in 521 Posts

If I could only choose 5 of mine?

Colt 6920 w/ Eotech 517
Remington 700 7mm w/ 16x scope
Remington 870 Supermag
Ruger 10/22 takedown
FNX-45
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 PM

A semi-auto rifle for long to intermediate range.
A tactical shotgun for intermediate to close/home defense range
A semi-auto handgun for back up and up close and personal.

For the rifle I recommend a quality AR-15 or AR-10
For the shotgun I recommend a Winchester SXP Extreme Defender. It's a good, reliable, and affordable tactical shptgun. Put a magazine extension on it. For shells I recommend the Wincheater Super Elite SXP1 it fires a 1oz rifled slug with 3 OO buck pellets that are packed on top of the slug. Very nasty shell with awsome stopping/obliteration results.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM

You can get a quality base line AR-10 for about $1200, AR-15 for about $900-$1100.
The Winchester SXP Extreme Defender for $575 with all the extra upgrades that would already come with a 870 tactical. A glock for $600.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM

If you have a friend with guns, offer to pay for ammo, range fees and throw in lunch. Shoot as many calibers in as many different gun configurations as possible. Take a class or two. Learn as much as possible before you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishimo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 PM

If your primary interest is self defense, then after you get some training you should buy two good service/concealment handguns. Because they're easily portable and concealable, a handgun is the weapon most likely to be with you when you need it. Long guns, although superior weapons, will either be at home or in you vehicle. As to why you need at least two handguns before acquiring a long gun, unless you're living in a PAW with no law enforcement at all, if you use your weapon for self defense it's going to be confiscated by the police. Even if you're justified your weapon will be taken as evidence until the case is adjudicated. If you only have one handgun, now you have to go out unarmed. So get two service handguns first, then get the appropriate rifles and shotguns for your needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to depbard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Guns, my $0.02

Greetings.

I am also new to fire arms. But this can be an advantage, no flawed misconceptions....

Go for a black gun. They are more intimidating then "shiny" silver plus they do not reflect sunlight thus more stealthy.

9mm Is a standard round. Take a gun class, this might help you with a legal defense.

Go with a name brand, check out how they "feel". Don't worry about too much pull on the trigger. Remember a lot of gun owners are enthusiasts, they overlook the fact a gun to most people is a tool.

I would buy in this order, Handgun, rifle, shotgun.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:

I preface this, "JMHO", but I've been around guns and shooting since I was a kid (I'm 52 now).
In my mind, it doesn't get any more ubiquitous than a .22 revolver or a .38 revolver.
Simple to operate and repair, effective ammo, plentiful ammo (maybe not always available, but EVERYONE means to carry .22 ammo).
Some people might have issues on capacity and power, but some people aren't happy until they have a howitzer and a warehouse full of ammo.

...again, JMHO.
If it were me, its what I'd choose.

DCman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCMan For This Useful Post: