Southeast Michigan, Pond's Edge Homestead & Garden 2014 - 2019 - Page 41 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Michigan Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Michigan 2 02-15-2017 01:36 PM

Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,801 Times in 5,387 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by inMichigan View Post
Rain, wet, rain, ... is this going to be like the year without a summer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Funny though, when a couple of weeks go by with hot temps and no rain, you get to thinking some rain might be nice.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
They're really pretty! But you're right in that they sure look like crab grass. How tall are the sets before you plant them out? And what's your in row spacing?
They were 2 to 3 inches when transplanted. I do 9 inch row spacing so that I can run my wheel how thru and tend to space 9 inches in the row as well.

They are starting to develop a canopy and shade out little weeds.

InMichigan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,406 Times in 550 Posts

Fascinating to learn rice can be grown in Northern areas! Will have to try this, we are zone 3b/4a so transplants will be best, I'm thinking 1 qt pots with 7-12 seeds each and starting more than 3 wks before setting out. I grow everything in 3-4 ft wide beds. Can't wait for next season! Thanks for the inspiration -- am so excited!
The Following User Says Thank You to vivisky For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Default upland rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisky View Post
...so transplants will be best, I'm thinking 1 qt pots with 7-12 seeds each and starting more than 3 wks before setting out.
I would not use a pot with multiple seedlings. The young plants' roots are delicate, I'm concerned about the damage to the roots as you take them apart.

I would recommend individual 'cell' type trays, like this:

You can see the seedlings are a little bit yellow...as rice does not enjoy being in a pot/cell. If I were to plant more than 3 or 4 flats, I would stagger starting the seeds by a few days so that they don't all reach the 'must plant' stage at the same time.

Those are 7 by 12 cells per flat. At this stage of transplanting on May 18th, almost every 'plant' was gently popped out without falling apart. If you had some from previous tomatoes/peppers, I'd try them, however, I'm not sure the larger 'cell size' would be of benefit. If the cell was too big, I don't think there would be enough 'roots' to hold it together during handling. Also, we are constrained by how many square feet of tray we can illuminate, so, density is a winner for us.

They got a small 'drink' of water after transplanting, one by one (to avoid waking up all the weed seeds!):

Here they are on July 12th.

Bed widths of 3 to 4 feet sound good, as that is handy for weeding. In this last photo, in the far ground, are the transplants. In the foreground, the same type of rice was direct seeded. Notice the direct seeded stand is not as dense. I would have had to use a lot more seed to account for germination, accidents during weeding, birds and the weather.

inMichigan

Last edited by inMichigan; 07-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Trapper

I can't argue with your success! but just wonder....have you read Eliot Coleman's books? he grows onions, beets, etc with 3-4 seeds per block, and Yes this is not the "recommended way" to do it. However, it makes for easier handling. I just wonder with the rice, if you did 3-4 seeds in a block, if it would save you time.
My idea to do the 7-12 seeds in a quart pot would be for home garden---not a larger plot obviously!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

The Duborskian Rice has begun to bloom:

Loto Rice appears to be the most happy this year. All this growth from a single seed!

Each 'stalk' called a tiller will likely form a head of grain.

Finally, it puts Crab Grass to shame!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,472 Times in 1,868 Posts

That's some amazing amount of growth from each seed, particularly the Loto. Squeaky clean beds, too! Weeds down here just wait for you to go back to the house after weeding so more can start overnight.

Do you think upland rice would mind having a mulch? I have checked and the only nematode that affects rice is in Asia and some parts of Europe and is also a different species than the RKN here. This makes upland rice a possibility for growing over the summer in otherwise fallow beds to starve RKNs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 12:42 PM
Trapper

Quote:
That's some amazing amount of growth from each seed, particularly the Loto. Squeaky clean beds, too! Weeds down here just wait for you to go back to the house after weeding so more can start overnight.

Do you think upland rice would mind having a mulch? I have checked and the only nematode that affects rice is in Asia and some parts of Europe and is also a different species than the RKN here. This makes upland rice a possibility for growing over the summer in otherwise fallow beds to starve RKNs.
That's what I'm thinking too---tons of "tillers" or branches....this all comes from ONE rice seed? Amazing.

I use a lot of mulch in my garden too, so I wonder if the Upland Rice varieties can be grown that way too.
The Following User Says Thank You to vivisky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Weeds, here too, but I am artful in my photo compositions....

We have mulched with strips of newspaper torn to width and grass clippings to hold it down. We did that once tillering had begun for smaller beds. With mulch comes a lot of snails and slugs. I chose to not mulch, as I am trying raise it like I would if scaled up for “food” mode. A friend gets 10 pounds per 100 sq ft.

InMichigan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisky View Post
That's what I'm thinking too---tons of "tillers" or branches....this all comes from ONE rice seed? Amazing.

I use a lot of mulch in my garden too, so I wonder if the Upland Rice varieties can be grown that way too.
Yep, just one seed.