Home Arsenal - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arsenal AKs? Where are they? BlueHarvest76 Military Weapons Forum 10 01-12-2015 02:02 AM
Arsenal SLR-107 or Arsenal SAM7SF-84? zentmeister1015 Military Weapons Forum 6 12-22-2013 07:05 AM
Arsenal SGL21 VS. Arsenal SAM7R-61? Zerstörer Rifle Forum 12 07-23-2013 08:44 PM
No need for an arsenal!!! NC Survivalist Firearms General Discussion 278 10-17-2012 06:12 AM
No more Arsenal AK-47's Oak0586 Rifle Forum 3 10-12-2012 06:18 PM
Arsenal SLS 101 babbyfuzz Military Weapons Forum 1 12-13-2010 10:13 AM
My Arsenal Antiacus Firearms General Discussion 12 10-21-2010 02:18 AM
arsenal AK paul kersey Military Weapons Forum 22 03-19-2010 05:31 PM
SHTF Home Arsenal Bearcub Military Weapons Forum 29 08-30-2009 10:43 PM
What in your arsenal? akren905 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 20 06-08-2009 07:45 AM

Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

Advertise Here

cut him some slack boys...

1) he's fairly new to the forum
2) he's, like a lot of us, interested in firearms which has spurred his thinking about preparedness..
3) he's from Ohio (my home state)

yeah Josh, I can look back at hurricanes, ice storms, even 9/11 as things that impacted my thinking about prepping, but honestly, when i finally found myself getting into gun collecting .. it seemed to motivate the whole package of zombie prepping.

now, guns have always been in the family home..grandad, dad...hunting as a casual sport, some target fun going back to boy scouts days.
and Dad having a shotgun, a lever rifle, a 22bolt and a pistol always seemed plenty well rounded...and yet I'd find myself at my rich uncle's house standing in front of his big wooden decorative gun cabinet admiring his guns all lined up in a row.

still, those basic guns of my Dad's seemed to be enough for many years..one was even pressed into service for catching a burglar one night...he went back to jail.

but when my occupation changed and i found myself among guys who all carried and they started to get me enthused ...well, things ramped up from there just a bit...still, nothing like a lot of guys i know.

I believe a well rounded tool box should include a shotgun, rifle, and handgun.

your caliber and capacity..? folks will argue that forever.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
What would Mal do

as for primitive weapons...depends..some of us live out in the sticks...we have some plausible reasons for a bow, a saw blade, etc...I keep, enjoy, hunt, trail cut etc a number of these tools..and yet most of them are not on my bugout checklist...if I had to leave here...it's a very bad day and I don't expect to last long enough to find myself having burned through my other resources and running around in bear skins, leaping from tree to cliff and hunting the last lone deer.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:42 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,464 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sert556 View Post
my grandfather supplied 50% of our meat with a meager assortment (the other half was raised) and protected all of us with the same.
he had two .22lr
a .410
a .12
a 30-30
and a .38 handgun.

how ever did we survive.
Another case of one of my lists being taken as an absolute set of must haves. This one, as with most, is not a must have list. It is a set of possibilities, to provide information on what can be, not what must be. To get people to think about possibilities. All would be nice to have, for many people, but few will need all of them, and very few will be able to afford all of them, myself included.

Plus, it does address a PAW situation, not the Depression or simple hard times living where food on the table is primary, and risk of attack by desperate, starving people, or gangs, in WROL situations is not a factor.

My father took care of us, and we put food on the table for most of my childhood with a Remington 878 3-round semi-auto shotgun and a CZ-27 .32 ACP pistol liberated from a German officer in WW II, and a .22RF single shot rifle.

We did not have to worry about drug gangs being out in the woods where we hunted, or gang bangers in the streets getting to the woods, or UN troops just looking for an excuse to disarm, beat, and incarcerate us, or any other of the possibilities that will occur when civilization as we know it comes to a screeching halt.

So, to wrap it up, more power to those that can take care of themselves and their family, protect them from the bad guys, and put food on the table during the PAW with next to nothing. Could I do it? I think so. I sure do not have everything on the list, so I will have to try with what I do have. That fact does not stop me from thinking through all the possibilities I might face, and come up with the best way to deal with each one.

Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Arsenal? or collection
Technically none of us have arsenals unless we are producing arms or munitions. For us it is either a collection or if really a lot of police or military weapons an armory. Armory is where weapons are stored and perhaps maintained.
Probably listing legally owned rifles and pistols is not going to do anyone harm. I would be somewhat careful about listing anything that I got from a private sale without paper work, but so what if the NSA and homeland security know. People like most of us that buy considerable amounts of ammo on the internet are not secret. Credit card records and also company sales records at places like midway live for years as stored data. If worried, for local purchases never use your credit card to buy anything that you want kept unknown.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSelf View Post
Sadly the only break action I have is a 410 and it would only be able to take a .22 adapter. I have been looking into a 12 gauge for a while.
A break upon .410 single shot can be loaded in way to make it at very close ranges the equal of a large bore rifle. The commercial loads that do this are expensive I do not have a link. There is also the old cut shell technique where the whole front of the plastic or paper shell (shot charge, wad, front part of shell casing go down range). Things like this were done for people here in the past when times were hard and other firearms were not available to poorer people that were trying to survive. There are some you tube videos on this this technique by Iraqiverteran8888 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
In the .410 video they do some things with big bore rifle ammo that were incredible. I do not advocate any of these practices except when there is not another choice for survival. This basically FYI only
The lost art of "Cut Shells" for .410 Iraqveteran8888 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lyk1WyyJ4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLIAac
Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 PM
What would Mal do

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Technically none of us have arsenals unless we are producing arms or munitions. For us it is either a collection or if really a lot of police or military weapons an armory. Armory is where weapons are stored and perhaps maintained.
Probably listing legally owned rifles and pistols is not going to do anyone harm. I would be somewhat careful about listing anything that I got from a private sale without paper work, but so what if the NSA and homeland security know. People like most of us that buy considerable amounts of ammo on the internet are not secret. Credit card records and also company sales records at places like midway live for years as stored data. If worried, for local purchases never use your credit card to buy anything that you want kept unknown.
agreed...there's certainly no such thing as an "arsenal" around my house, but let one bad event happen that would cause the cops to enter a home and find a shotgun, a pistol and more than one box of ammo..and oh my the drama...the cops found an arsenal!!! news at 11
Old 12-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,149 Times in 4,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Technically none of us have arsenals unless we are producing arms or munitions.
Some of us do produce munitions

But, I wouldn't call a garage workbench an "arsenal," either.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,984 Times in 7,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick View Post
I thought the first rule of prepping was you do not talk about prepping & the second rule of prepping was YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT PREPPING
didn't know there was a Prep Cub

His name is Robert Paulsen
Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,149 Times in 4,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
agreed...there's certainly no such thing as an "arsenal" around my house, but let one bad event happen that would cause the cops to enter a home and find a shotgun, a pistol and more than one box of ammo..and oh my the drama...the cops found an arsenal!!! news at 11
Yep, at least in New York.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/16/cops-fi...lyn-apartment/

Headline: "Cops find arsenal of guns, swords in Brooklyn apartment"

The following was owned by the four men who lived in the apartment. The article doesn't say who owns what.

Cops recovered a 9 MM Highpoint Rifle with a defaced serial number, one 380 Cal loaded semi-automatic handgun, a 357 revolver, as well as a 38 caliber revolver.
Police also found 50 rounds of 45 caiberl ammunition, 50 rounds of 9MM ammunition, 67 rounds of 347 caliber ammunition, 50 rounds of 38 caliber ammunition, 17 rounds of 380 caliber ammunition, and a 45 caliber magazine.
As if that wasn’t enough, cops also recovered eight swords, one machete, some nunchakus and eight Codeine tablets, cops said.
“It was enough to arm a small army or militia,” a police source said of the bust. “These guys were ready for war.”

War! One guy carries a 9mm Hi Point carbine and their 50 rounds of 9mm! Each other guy carries a handgun: one has a .357 and "67 rounds of 347 caliber ammunition," another has the .38 with 50 rounds, and the last guy has a .380 semi-auto and 17 rounds of ammunition.

If that's not enough, this fearsome military force also has a .45 caliber magazine and a box of .45 ammunition! They don't have a .45 gun, but they have a magazine!! Who knows, maybe these diabolical war criminals were thinking about getting a FIFTH gun, which would be more than one gun per man!

When they are done destroying the U.S. Army with these doomsday weapons, they will mop up the Marines with their nunchuks! Then they'll each take two codeine tablets in frenzied celebration!

Imagine if they took their guns and all of this ammunition to a shooting range! They'd be able to shoot for minutes and minutes! The guy with the "347" might be able to shoot for an hour if he takes his time!

Other than the defaced serial number, I'm unclear what they were charged with, or why the police were investigating to begin with. Their "arsenal" was paltry. This is like a college kid's gun collection.

I had that many guns and more ammunition than that in the back of my car tonight when I stopped at the grocery store.