Choice on new bag - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best choice? Flying Hawk Knives, Swords & Axes 12 08-04-2014 01:27 AM
Bug Out Bag choice TheLastRebel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 11-18-2013 04:03 AM
your choice grumpyirish Knives, Swords & Axes 7 04-11-2013 01:11 PM
Need Help with Gun Choice prepper12 Firearms General Discussion 13 11-15-2012 10:55 PM
Next choice should be? warhawk-77 Firearms General Discussion 0 06-18-2012 09:20 AM
BOV of choice? Dadnabit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 04-05-2012 09:23 PM
4X4 of choice Davis_M General Discussion 25 02-24-2011 10:12 AM
MBR choice Closetprepper Military Weapons Forum 16 07-08-2010 09:26 PM
1 choice out of many brock Crem Knives, Swords & Axes 3 05-02-2009 05:46 PM
my choice bruce almighty Knives, Swords & Axes 1 09-20-2008 06:02 PM

Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Solo Survivor

Advertise Here

I went with a Kifaru Marauder pack for my bob, if this is a bag you may one day bet your survival on, i would save up for awhile and look into one of these. this one has the molle webbing inside and out so your gear dose not shift and your items are right where you left them. they also take your measurements and the pack is custom built for you. i had to save for a while to be able to purchase it but have never one regretted spending the extra money
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 AM
ROGUE SCHOLAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
I don't think anything issued to anyone, even on a unit purchase, is made by Condor. Some individual guys will bet their lives on cheap gear, but that's not endorsement -- on my last deployment we had a Civil Affairs guy put a 10x $20 Chinese scope on his M4 until grown ups stepped in. Lot of folks in military and law enforcement know zero about quality gear and the ones who do buy cheap tend to learn that lesson when it goes pear shaped at very bad times.

With the glut of .mil issue surplus on the market, you can do much better than companies like Condor for what they charge for stuff if budget is a critical issue. Can usually hunt down deals on better non-issue stuff as well if you keep an eye out for sales, eBay bargains, etc.
I'm starting to sound like a Condor rep.

This discussion has led me to do more research and make a few calls and I've learned that even more law enforcement and military use Condor than I originally thought. Forum after forum has guys who have claimed to use Condor (with great success) in both military and as private contractors. And to say that's not an "endorsement" is really not correct. Buying and using something is as an endorsement. And to say the ones that do, probably know "zero about quality", is really unfair, speculative and assumes you to be a self-proclaimed expert.

I've also found not only stories, but pictures of "military issued" gear that has failed. There is a lot of discussion about gear on the net, and something that seems somewhat apparent is... Guys who have actually used Condor gear, give it a much higher rating than guys who have not. There seems to be a number of people that weigh-in on the debate who have not used the gear, but assume much.

As I looked at Condor's website, they have evened partnered with other companies to make custom pieces for a number of different applications. I also asked the guy, who I originally mentioned in this discussion, and I'm quite certain now of his service record and that a lot of guys he worked with chose Condor gear. And after seeing and using it in service, he gives it his "endorsement". I actually found several retired military who are now Condor dealers, again, I would say that's a pretty good endorsement.

It's obviously a personal choice as to what a person considers a wise investment or great value. For me, I take back what I said about Condor being a "good choice for the money" and now would leave it at, just plain, good choice.

I'm not saying it's the best and greatest, but it serves me well and is tough as nails. It's been said that... "A fireman can destroy a steely ball in a sand box." So far I haven't destroyed any of my Condor gear.

I think, for some, this is more about where it's made, than anything else. But I think that's a separate discussion from quality in this case. I would like to buy American everything, but that is no longer reality. As I said, many times when we think we are buying American, we are also buying components made elsewhere. Every purchase I make is about the best value for me and my family. It's up to the market place to compete for my dollar...
The Following User Says Thank You to PREPLAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,818 Times in 699 Posts

As a contrator (PMC) I always found condor to be crap. Watched a guy jump of the steps of his CHU and his front plate fell out of the body armor plate pocket onto his toes and broke both big toes....LOL!!!!!! Seems the stitching on the velcro was poor. He had just unpacked it from the mail and was barefoot...LOL!!!!!!

I bought a condor singlepoint sling. it was delivered and I opened the package and put it on my weapon. Did a quick transition drill and slung the weapon to my side to draw my pistol. My long gun slammed to the ground since one end of the bunge singlepoint was only sewn on by a few threads.

Seen many a condor chest rig wear out at the sharp points whear magazines wear on them. Packs with broken buckles, freyed straps,etc....

All of the above was bought by Law enforcement and contractors. They obviously do not represent the final arbitor of what is good and what is not because they (including me) bought the CRAP!

Mine is just an opinion. My opinion is free. take it for what it is worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelch8404 View Post
Some WalMart's carry a SOG version of the 511 72 for around $50.

I have a SOG sling bag I've been using for 3 or 4 months with no problems...

YMMV.
Got a SOG pack to replace my ancient EDC. Nice design but the cheap China zippers are cruddy. Currently not satisfied and looking for solutions.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Recently picked up the Maxpedition Xantha Pack. Plenty of compartments to keep supplies organized and I like the lightweight aluminum internal frame.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActiveDutyGear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Hiker

My get-home and main BOB are Tactical Tailor. EDC and quick-grab evac bag are Goruck. Travel suitcase-thingie is Tyr. All are Cordura with YKK zippers. All are exceptional quality. Worth it to spend some money on the right materials.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,742 Times in 7,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GATO BLANCO View Post
I have that same 511 bag, had it for a number of years as my BoB and pulls double duty as a range bag. I love it and it has been through many a hike and taken a beating and keeps going. My next bag may be something from maxpedition for a EDC bag either way you can't go wrong.
I have three 511 - they are great bags. Have one as a bob - use one for hunting and other is more or less a spare though the two older ones are still in great shape after lots of use. Lot of good deals on Amazon now.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyhere View Post
If you are going to have a non-trivial amount of weight, you will want to make sure the length of the backpack fits your torso length. I REALLY liked the Rush 72, especially the beaver tail. However, my torso length is 21", and although I can't cite a specific link to this, I believe the Rush 72 is tailored to shorter torsos, I *think* I recall 18" or so. The more weight, the more this comes into play of comfort.

Good luck with your search.
Your right, I'm going to go ahead and be less kind here and say to everyone that the 5.11 backpacks are overpriced garbage that don't even list there sizing but list it as "the best bug out backpack in the world"

If anyone wants a real backpack, look at these brands.. Osprey, Gregory, Marmot, Kelty, Patagonia, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardwear, Deuter, North Face etc..

Measure your torso, hips etc.. and get a bag that fits and quit letting this tactical looking junk take you for a fool. Being comfortable means going easier, farther and having a larger load capacity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpiner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Location: The Empire State....and they are not kidding. Yay NY!

I like my Rush 72. I have taken it with me when my fire department got sent to Long Island in Super Storm Sandy. Worked great. I continue to evolve the bag. With that being said I got the RUSH 72 on a steal. Does it work? Hell yeah. Are there other options out there? You bet your butt. I might grab a RUSH 24 to replace my GHB.
The Following User Says Thank You to moggie6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 PM

While not cheap I have found anything from Mystery ranch to be simply put, perfect for my applications. I currently have an ASAP pack in my back seat every day. Its the right size for a GHB for ME. The farthest I would have to walk is ~20mi so the size is adequate for that in my area Florida.

For actual hiking and camping my wife and I both pack milspec Camelbacks.

She packs a HAWG while I have a Linchpin or Trizip depending on the trip. We have logged hundreds of miles with these packs in both FL and Northern VT. All three have proven to be bomb proof. From thorns to sharp rocks the material has yet to pop a thread.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Gents, (and ladies):

While it's just my opinion, the Blackhawk line (I have the 3 day assault pack, plus the semi-rigid insert --pastic with one aluminum central rib) is VERY worth looking into. Shop around, there are deals sometimes. Not cheap, but goooood.

I've used mine for travel, work, field, hiking...it is the finest pack I have ever owned in 30 years. You've got be a bit creative to customize it to your needs.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,129 Times in 934 Posts

BTW, after being really dissatisfied with the VooDoo pack, I did buy two Snugpack Rocketpacks (you'll understand the name when you see it). The type that enables conversion of the side-pods in to a smaller backpack if that is needed. You have to buy their Yoke system but it's reasonably priced and lightweight. Lighter weight materials but seems to be very well constructed and highly rated. Still not made in the U.S. but made in the U.K. I believe it is this: http://www.proforceequipment.com/pro...d=163&catid=28
B
Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveDutyGear View Post
Recently picked up the Maxpedition Xantha Pack. Plenty of compartments to keep supplies organized and I like the lightweight aluminum internal frame.
I second the Xantha. I've since put away a bunch of my other packs after months of using it under various weather conditions. Not surprisingly, after several months of daily use, it still feels brand new.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Is there any more coffee?

I have the 5.11 Rush 24 as my GHB and the 5.11 Moab 6 as my EDC. They can be strapped together with the webs that are included with the Moab. Both are awesome and recommended.

I posted some info on Condor a while back on a different thread. I used Condor's Commuter Bag for a couple of years it held up ok. Lots of travel, lots of overhead bins in airplanes. A couple of zipper pulls fell off and had to be replaced with zip ties. Not a bad product but not great either.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 PM

I bought a couple of Eberlestocks packs in coyote brown. Color blends in hillside in my area quite well and also if in town isn't so tactical looking as a camo one. I have used them a few times and after adjustment were very comfortable. Not the lightest packs but very durable.

My G4 can hide a short M4 style AR quite well without bottom pushed down. Rain cover also masks true bag type if used (looks like a big blob on back). If it ever gets to a point I have to used in SHTF I know it would be a good bag. I plan to bug in as much as possible. I bought 1 white rain cover I could carry too and could switch to change my look fast if need be. Plus the few times I have gone out to BLM land is easy to carry a few guns out and ammo. Or with Cub Scout outings I have been the mule.

Is a bit pricey but is quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to brancher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Wading this cesspool.

You can't go wrong with an ALICE pack.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Prepared

I have the 72-hour. Great bag. Goes with me everywhere. It was much bigger than I expected when I got it. Tons of storage space.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,286 Times in 591 Posts

I am also the owner of a 5.11 Rush 72, and I will also say that it's a high quality piece of gear. I spent a while researching peoples' reviews on gear before I got it, and for a 3 Day MOLLE pack, After weeding out some of the cheap gear, I ruled out Voodoo Tactical as well due to the fact that I had a Voodoo bag that was falling apart from the abuse that I was putting it through.

Research led me to believe that Condor was going to be about the same as Voodoo. So, no go on the Condor stuff.

For mid-range gear, this left me with the choices of Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and 5.11. I could go up market a bit, and look at stuff like Eberlestock, Tactical Tailor, and a few others, but it would be a bit spendy.

So this left me with Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and 5.11. When I was in the market for a bag, I could have just winged it, mailed ordered, and hoped for the best, but this would be a rash decision.

Instead I wanted to check out the merchandise first hand. I couldn't find anybody who carried Blackhawk's Tactical line nearby, so bye bye Blackhawk. There was a nearby company that carried Maxpedition, and when they got their stuff in, some of it seemed pretty decent but they were pretty slack in ordering, as they could sell more of the generic Chinese stuff. So that left 5.11

There was a 5.11 dealer close by, so I narrowed my selection down to a couple of bags,search YouTube and Amazon for reviews and settle on the Rush 72, fuguring that even though I probably won't need to pack it fully most of the time. I would rather be stuck with a larger pack than necessary rather than get stuck with a pack that gets overpacked regularly. I go out to the local supplier, and see what they have.

The Rush 72 pack was pretty much as described in all of the reviews, so I scored one. -- It has been a really good day pack, and I always have room to spare in case it is truly needed.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich_Volk View Post
I am also the owner of a 5.11 Rush 72, and I will also say that it's a high quality piece of gear. I spent a while researching peoples' reviews on gear before I got it, and for a 3 Day MOLLE pack, After weeding out some of the cheap gear, I ruled out Voodoo Tactical as well due to the fact that I had a Voodoo bag that was falling apart from the abuse that I was putting it through.

Research led me to believe that Condor was going to be about the same as Voodoo. So, no go on the Condor stuff.

For mid-range gear, this left me with the choices of Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and 5.11. I could go up market a bit, and look at stuff like Eberlestock, Tactical Tailor, and a few others, but it would be a bit spendy.

So this left me with Maxpedition, Blackhawk, and 5.11. When I was in the market for a bag, I could have just winged it, mailed ordered, and hoped for the best, but this would be a rash decision.

Instead I wanted to check out the merchandise first hand. I couldn't find anybody who carried Blackhawk's Tactical line nearby, so bye bye Blackhawk. There was a nearby company that carried Maxpedition, and when they got their stuff in, some of it seemed pretty decent but they were pretty slack in ordering, as they could sell more of the generic Chinese stuff. So that left 5.11

There was a 5.11 dealer close by, so I narrowed my selection down to a couple of bags,search YouTube and Amazon for reviews and settle on the Rush 72, fuguring that even though I probably won't need to pack it fully most of the time. I would rather be stuck with a larger pack than necessary rather than get stuck with a pack that gets overpacked regularly. I go out to the local supplier, and see what they have.

The Rush 72 pack was pretty much as described in all of the reviews, so I scored one. -- It has been a really good day pack, and I always have room to spare in case it is truly needed.
I have the 5:11 rush 72 on the way to me , I just watched about 20 you tube vids and took a shot that I'll like it, I like the condorII by maxpedition it's a bit small, so think I'll like the 72 a lot, hope it's co,for table and I do t have the neck rub and hope the belt is good,
Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM

You stick out like a sore thumb with those fancy pants bags everyone is suggesting, you may as well hang a neon sign that says "mug me" as you trek through the ghetto.

I just use an old gunny or potato sack, far less conspicuous.