How do you store your ammo, where? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you store ammo in the factory boxes or loose in ammo cans? Inazone Firearms General Discussion 101 07-19-2015 01:10 PM
How to store your bulk 22 ammo Eagle Scout Dan Firearms General Discussion 45 02-13-2014 11:29 PM
What is the correct way to store ammo? chas036 Rifle Forum 7 02-19-2013 12:29 PM
How much ammo should you store? readymom1 Firearms General Discussion 52 01-28-2013 10:40 AM
Do you store ammo for calibers you don't own? BugOutBicycle Firearms General Discussion 28 12-04-2012 02:56 AM
How to store ammo? joe_schmoe Firearms General Discussion 22 11-27-2012 10:24 PM
How do you store your ammo/mags for bug out? 7.62 Firearms General Discussion 11 04-22-2012 02:46 PM
Best way to store ammo? Mojave Firearms General Discussion 18 01-06-2012 08:05 PM
How do yall store your ammo? alabamafrog Firearms General Discussion 35 06-20-2011 10:01 PM
Store Rimfire Ammo tank08 Firearms General Discussion 9 10-13-2008 11:02 PM

Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Merely a free thinker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Am I the only one that is concerned by a fire?

Maybe my years as a volunteer firefighter just has me thinking of strange and rare circumstances?
I don't think that ammunition explodes in a fire. Without a chamber around the cartridge to maintain pressure I believe they just expand a bit and pop.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Just some dude on the net

Thanked 8,206 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddWillSurvive View Post
I don't think that ammunition explodes in a fire. Without a chamber around the cartridge to maintain pressure I believe they just expand a bit and pop.
You are correct, but I think he was more worried about the monetary loss then the actual danger.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Merely a free thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRazor View Post
You are correct, but I think he was more worried about the monetary loss then the actual danger.
Yeah, i guess this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by controversial View Post
Many offices use fire proof filling cabinets for storing important documents. I use the four drawer version to store my ammo. One of the reasons I do this is to protect first responders and fire fighters in the event of a fire.

If nothing else it works great for organization and storing ammo
...left me with the impression some were concerned with a spectacular explosion of shrapnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 11,714 Times in 4,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmuttsmith View Post
I'm not in a wild fire area. But if I was I would still store it all in one place, atleast the bulk of it. Where else would I store that I could keep it safe? I would also make it where if I had to get out of dodge I could grab it quick and move it.
I keep a couple cans in my trunk along with some Glock and AR mags.

I have about a quarter of my ammo supply in my garage.

Another quarter in a storage unit.

The remaining half is split between my bedroom, basement and back porch.

I have seen and been in enough house fires that I believe that in the event of a house fire the entire structure is not normally totally destroyed.
You fall asleep in bed with a smoke and maybe the entire upstairs goes up but the bottom floor might just suffer water damage.

If something like a tornado would hit, which is really rare in my area, at least what is in the basement and storage unit would hopefully be saved.

Quote:
Hmm interesting point, for me I don't live in a wild fire zone but it does remain a possibility no matter where you are. Realistically though I don't have any where else to stick it and if my house did burn down it would get every thing else too so I'd be stuck having to rebuild every thing else off the insurance money so ammo would just be another thing to worry about.
This is where my thoughts on the entire home burning to the ground is not something that happens very often (unless one lives in a secluded area away from first responders).
Just splitting up your stock between a couple different rooms could make a difference.

For example, I keep my ammo (and extra magazines, silver, etc...) in the basement in vac bags inside 50 cal cans.
In the case of a fire, basements typically will fill with water and even if the house burns totally down IMO Ithat ammo would survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddWillSurvive View Post
Ammo will not explode, but if it starts to burn off it can create more fuel.
Bulk reloading supplies are what always worried me, particularly in my area where muzzleloading is popular.
The cans are designed to split rather than blow, but way too many people store their blackpowder improperly IMO.
My powders are stored in wooden boxes inside their original containers.

High temps in the vicinity of your ammo can degrade it.

Quote:
^^^ This is what I was mainly getting at.
Your home burns and you get insurance money sure, but now you are out thousands of dollars of ammo you may have a hard time replacing.

I can't justify storing all my SHTF supplies in one spot.
I feel pretty comfortable with it being split up, monetarily and logistically.