Guns and bunkers, which is best? And a bunker in action video - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: running a bolt-action rifle like a semi-auto Bluetick Coonhound Rifle Forum 3 05-30-2015 09:56 AM
Obama taking executive action on guns after Senate vote Alpha-Zombie General Discussion 37 04-21-2013 10:24 AM
Action Item: Oppose the “See a Shrink, Lose your Guns” sell-out bill escape Political News and Discussion 0 04-10-2013 12:13 PM
Doomsday Tab: $130K On Bunkers, Guns And More jimmykeller Controversial News and Alternative Politics 6 04-22-2012 03:45 AM
Hog Huntin Video on YouTube! Action Packed SwineSlayer Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 12-07-2011 10:30 AM
Bill Bailey's bunker: The world in chaos - video WAY TO GO General Discussion 0 09-20-2011 06:51 AM
video on upscale bunkers tagfactor Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 1 09-06-2010 12:19 AM
Cool Slow Action Ballistics Video BillyJack Firearms General Discussion 3 01-05-2010 05:06 PM
I like guns video HowardCohodas Firearms General Discussion 2 12-24-2009 01:34 AM

View Poll Results: Is a gun or a bunker better?
Is a gun best? 45 22.28%
Is a bunker best? 15 7.43%
Are both very good to own or even work to acquire? 146 72.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,751 Times in 4,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap Water View Post
Good, seems like you got it all figured out. Best of luck to you
Thanks but I am not 100% sure about having it All figured out but hopefully more than 99% of people.
I do what I need and sometimes even want to do, mainly on my mtn place where no one better mess with me or mine or even guests who might be on my mtn retreat. When I am in a city I blend in but am always aware and no one better mess with me either. Fortunately no one gets too close anyway.

Hope many others will also get "it" figured out before it is too late and too late to even be Allowed to buy land or do other things they might only dream of doing!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Trapper

Thanked 4,272 Times in 554 Posts
Default My friend

Mike, you're scaring me.

The Mike I remember from long ago was not so contentious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wheelgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned From Books

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 14,423 Times in 3,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelgunner View Post
Mike, you're scaring me.

Ahh, Mike's not being contentious, just tellin' it like it is and straightening things out so the gimps back off a bit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelgunner View Post
Mike, you're scaring me.

Sorry Wheel. And I have never known you to post anything like that in any of my threads but glad you have posted. Hope you and many others will keep watching this thread since maybe it will get even more exciting.

And I had to look up contentious to remember its exact meaning. Not a word I use too much or since college anyway.
con·ten·tious /kənˈtenCHəs/
Adjective
Causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial.
Involving heated argument.

Synonyms
quarrelsome - controversial - moot - litigious

And WR is one of the very very few who likely know the real me. Since he actually came up to my mtn place, camped, worked and Lived up there and even saw me at my best and sometimes worst.
I am very nice, probably too nice especially when younger. And I have gotten used as a doormat, cussed at in school and jobs and I never argued or went against the grain or even tried to be controversial.

And maybe some will know for sure but I have to ask: Was Tappan contentious or controversial? Was Kurt Saxon? Ragnar Benson or many other survivalists of the past? Even many in the Bible?
I doubt I would be like any of them but many of them are who I have read and even try to equal or even emulate - I do believe that is an adequate fancy word I could use here.

The internet is a great place to argue and hopefully discuss even debate ideas. And if I see someone who is posting in a hostile way such as calling me or my friends stupid or worse and that my bunker is a Death trap then I must answer. I don't have the time or energy to mess around and be so nice like I did in the past and am getting more and more hardcore as a survivalist.

I also have been probably watching too many Stallone movies, his latest Rambo movie was very violent although somewhat good message. And I also watched both of his Expendables movies, a few days ago, also very violent but sorta humorous which I think is the way movies might have to be if they are portraying violence... in today's pc, sissy society.

I also keep having nightmares about a communist, globalist president who wants to become dictator, disarm everyone except his private army and actually impoverish almost everyone in this great country.

I also have had a bad year or two but that is private and I am slowly but surely going more and more into full survival mode and someday people might never hear from me again. Hopefully because I will be Living on my mtn place permanently and letting the rest of the world go to - wherever it is constantly going.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_6399 View Post
I think it depends on the rest of your demeanor. Quite a lot of people are openly building bunkers and disaster shelters. There's at least one popular TV show that highlights these folks.
I should only post once a day but my response to this post should be short, for once.

I would like to see evidence or statistics on how many people are building bunkers, disaster shelters or at least storm / tornado shelters. Which would be a good idea since tornado season is coming and already here in parts of the USA.

I did notice that someone downrated this thread to 4 stars. 3.67 is what is says on the stats. Which should not bother me but all of my pic threads have 5 stars and also creating this bunker shooting video which was sorta fun but also a Lot of hard time consuming work!

And Sean or anyone else, what TV show is that? I don't watch hardly any TV but I have downloaded some episodes of the "Doomsday Preppers" show. I suppose there is a Doomsday Bunkers show?
If so someone can send them the bunker shooting video in the first post of this thread. I don't really care. I doubt they will come up to my mtn place to film though.
And I am sure my bunker / shelter is not fancy or expensive enough, since most seem to think that a good strong secure bunker Has to cost many many thousands of dollars! The first couple posts of this thread should have disproved that idea.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,156 Posts

Mike has a lot more backup than most here can even dream of.Wyoming people stick together.
There will be a whole lot more Riflemen up there than any of you can imagine.
We are ALL very good shots!!!

Welcome to Wyoming.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Banned From Books

MMM, don't let the haters get you down. Think of it as Kev tolerating 'em just so we can use 'em as a bashin' bag now and again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
MMM, don't let the haters get you down. Think of it as Kev tolerating 'em just so we can use 'em as a bashin' bag now and again
I know what you are saying but I actually try not to use anyone as a "bashin' bag" but I simply answer and respond to any who do unjustly criticize my bunker / underground cabin. And I see a couple people clicked on the star rating so now 5 have rated this thread. But still not enough to get this thread back up to 5 stars. Not too many page views for this thread either for the busiest section on this huge S-boards.
Which goes to show many, even on a Survivalistboard just don't like or even understand bunkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Mike has a lot more backup than most here can even dream of.Wyoming people stick together.
There will be a whole lot more Riflemen up there than any of you can imagine.
We are ALL very good shots!!!

Welcome to Wyoming.
I don't know about All being real good shots but I would wager that most own or have access to guns. I think I heard once that it is illegal to Not own a gun in Wyoming.
Some even have bunkers in undisclosed locations such as Mr. Cheney > http://www.google.com/search?q=chene...ient=firefox-a
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvemaskin View Post
I believe on can't be prepared enough. I had a concrete septic tank cast for me. It was the largest they had, 1500 gallons, and was 6 ft high inside, 10 ft long inside, and 5 ft wide inside. It has a 30" sq opening on one end with a rebar ladder welded in place, and the other end has a 2" pvc coupler in the lid. It has four inch walls and top, rebar enforced. It's buried 12 ft deep, which means four ft of dirt over it. The Pvc piece is for ventilation. I have storage shelves with freeze dried food in it as well as other food stuffs. This bunker cost me about $2200 including a backhoe to dig the hole, and cover it up when I was ready. I love this thing, and plan on a second one for myself and protection equipment. They will have a large shed over them with a hidden trapdoor for entry to the basements. My plan is not especially for defence, but to not be seen.
I am finally going to answer / respond to some of these earlier posts and Hope that they and at least Some others will read >

Flyvemaskin, welcome to this huge survival forum and glad to see you posting in my latest bunker thread. Too many are either scared to or more likely just not interested in a bunker shootout video or even the question of whether: "Guns or bunkers are better or are Both good to own or work to acquire?"

And after searching a bit I found this thread with some pics about a guy who did use a 1500 gallon concrete septic tank to make his "tornado / fallout shelter >> https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=24483

I would not really like it for it only has one entrance/exit, as well as a few other problems, such as too small and no way to look or shoot out of but is still a good protective shelter, especially in a short term emergency such as a tornado.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowie View Post
IMHO. you need both. soon those without a well stocked underground shelter will not survive. without firearms you cannot hope to hold your shelter. i would not call it a bunker unless it was at least 5 foot of concrete on all sides.
Good answer and what I was hoping at least some on this Survivalistboards would post. But I know that there are all kinds of people in real life and especially on the net.

And snowie, I think it can be called a bunker even without 5 feet of concrete but the more concrete, logs, dirt, rocks etc. that make up the bunker then the stronger it is.
WR knows how much dirt and rocks I added last summer when we dug the hole for the new partially underground cabin. I think there is at least 10 feet of dirt and quite a few rocks especially on the front side where the porthole is. That porthole could be a Possible weak area but it is necessary to have at least one porthole to look and shoot out of.

I do have many bags of hardened concrete to use to block that porthole if necessary. More about that in a future post.

Showing the 10 plus feet of dirt and rocks on the front side of the bunker. I do plan to landscape more and plant some more bushes etc. although in a year or two plants seed and grow by themselves. The porthole is seen below the green camo and the pipe is a drainpipe which drains snow melt and rain water off the roof mainly around the back trap door.

Me in the black hooded sweatshirt making more of a concrete wall to hold more dirt and rocks in front of the bunker >

The mostly finished hole where I got much more of the dirt and rocks seen in the 2 above pics.
I hope to build a new partially underground cabin, next summer, in that hole in the side of my mountain >

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 9,123 Times in 2,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachMed View Post
...If you have a bunker you must be able to defend. Otherwise your just stocking for someone else.
Hey TachMed,

Very similar mindset on this issue.

Modern military has given up the idea (mostly) of bunkers.

Reasons:

The Alamo.
Ft. Sumpter.
... The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

The idea of building a castle and keeping everyone out is an old idea that won't always work if those on the outside are determined to get in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachMed View Post
Mike if a bunker, storm shelter is found the first thought of any would be attacker is supplies. You have them or else you would not need the bunker. And no matter how well built that bunker it can be taken over if there is no actual defences in place.
If you have a bunker you must be able to defend. Otherwise your just stocking for someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
Hey TachMed,

Very similar mindset on this issue.

Modern military has given up the idea (mostly) of bunkers.

Reasons:

The Alamo.
Ft. Sumpter.
... The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

The idea of building a castle and keeping everyone out is an old idea that won't always work if those on the outside are determined to get in.
I was going to answer Tachmed later after I answered a couple more guys who posted earlier in this thread.
But since Sprig posted I will answer this now.

And hope that Tachmed will respond and tell us if we have interpreted his post correctly. But I think Tachmed is saying that guns and a bunker are both good to own. If one has only a bunker and no gun then it would be very likely taken over. In my opinion anyway, If one has Only a gun and no bunker or at least a good bulletproof defensible safe room, then the chances are high of getting injured or blown away.

And one more reason out of many, the bunker shootout video WR and I made last August, was created, to show what would happen If raiders attacked.
Or at least what Might happen. The periscope was shot up to show that was the main weakness. Although attackers possibly would not get close enough to shoot the periscope even.

This next summer I hope to begin building a tall - 8 to maybe 20 foot high - fence, made out of the many dead pine trees that are on and near my land. Mainly I would use pine pole logs, which ranchers have and probably some still use as corral poles.
Although my new fence would be upright similar to a log fort, used mainly for good privacy but also for defense if necessary. And also have other defenses outside the bunker scattered around for a 100 yards. Some would be automatic defenses which I would rather not discuss, maybe think of toepoppers etc. etc. But those would be only used IF there was a SHTF.

IF there was a bad enough SHTF maybe there would not be a modern military and mainly only a few raiders now and then. Which if so, then my bunker would be a Very good defense against maybe all raiders etc.

I hope that my bunker / remote mtn retreat or Hold as WR calls it would never become an Alamo or a civil war fortress. Mainly since I truly doubt that a large army such as attacked the Alamo or during the Civil war, would happen.

I am also glad that a few have taken the poll at the top of this thread. Not nearly enough for the views it has gotten though.
I did post this gun or bunker thread here in this busy general gun section since it seemed most appropriate but maybe I would have gotten more responses in the general disaster area section?

I also would like all or some of the guns identified in the first couple of posts or at least the one shown of me shooting it. Even hear from others about what kind of a gun is Best to use in a bunker? I will later post a better pic of that $1,500 gun which held a 50 round magazine. And tell more later.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,442 Posts

Way cool, Mike. Great job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post

I have had some concern from folk about the use of the supposed 'molotov' cocktail in the video. This is classified as a 'destructive device' by the ATF.

HOWEVER, to all Federal ATF types and others reading this and other threads the 'bottle pyrotechnic' was NOT an actual molotov cocktail. The pyrotechnic we used lacked the 'third ingredient' which would of made it one.
Molotov Cocktails generally only require ONE ingredient and not always two or three..
The Following User Says Thank You to mike in pa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in pa View Post
Molotov Cocktails generally only require ONE ingredient and not always two or three..
Well, I guess we should have had such a molotov cocktail Expert as you on my mtn retreat when we tried to make one.
Maybe this wiki link would have been a good idea to look at also before we tried to make one > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail Looks like kerosene and other things such as oil etc. are needed.

And actually I do Not think it truly was a Molotov cocktail. One thing it did not explode like a bomb or such. Had to try twice to get that video scene at the end with the fire, with 2 cameras. The one set on the side got the "explosion" but WR can tell more about that if he wishes.
I also splashed a few gallons of water on and around the door, especially the large logs. And I had 10 gallons of water and a wet blanket ready to put out the fire. The wet blanket worked best, especially on the gasoline bucket. I was Not going to risk burning down or even damaging the bunker - underground cabin that took me at least 10 summers to build!

And I had to set half a gallon of fresh gasoline in a bucket to get the fire. ONLY gasoline. And I think IF the gas could have been as a vapor then it Might have exploded. But as a non-expert and as someone who does NOT make bombs I or Watch Ryder did not know how to make a real Molotov cocktail ! I am Not advising or recommending anyone to make or use one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned From Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in pa View Post
That's like saying a Ford Taurus is a functioning automobile if you rip the engine out. LOL
Or a petrol can in the back of a vehicle is one etc etc.

It's not a destructive device so simmer down with your sqwarking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,496 Times in 2,824 Posts
Smile

Great posts MMM & WR........
Folks this isn't about who has the best or most expensive bunker....MMM isn't rich monetarily,his richness comes in his love of his wilderness land......Here is a guy that was never given anything in life....He worked hard for everything he has...As a young man his dream was to own land and by GOD he went out and worked hard and made his dream come true....Imo that is the real American dream....A great example of a person who doesn't live beyond his dreams and is simply trying to live the dream and enjoy life....
I hope everyone can attain that true richness in your own life....
Sincerely,
joes
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,434 Posts

Mike great job. Keep improving and improvising every chance you get. I saw a surplus place had tank periscopes that might work in your set up and for a decent price.

Don't worry about the keyboard commandos. They're just jealous. That and the fact they still live in Mom's basement and the closest to being in the field is playing COD.

Keep up the great work.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to anchorbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorbanger View Post
Mike great job. Keep improving and improvising every chance you get. I saw a surplus place had tank periscopes that might work in your set up and for a decent price.

Don't worry about the keyboard commandos. They're just jealous. That and the fact they still live in Mom's basement and the closest to being in the field is playing COD.

Keep up the great work.
Thanks and I would like to find a real good periscope that would not cost too much. I did see a plastic one at Big 5 Sporting Goods but $20 seemed too much. I will likely just make a couple more wood and mirror periscopes only better than the one that was shot up in the video.

And I don't know what COD even means. I tried to google it but a few definitions of that and I don't want to waste anymore time looking it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
Great posts MMM & WR........
Folks this isn't about who has the best or most expensive bunker....MMM isn't rich monetarily,his richness comes in his love of his wilderness land......Here is a guy that was never given anything in life....He worked hard for everything he has...As a young man his dream was to own land and by GOD he went out and worked hard and made his dream come true....Imo that is the real American dream....A great example of a person who doesn't live beyond his dreams and is simply trying to live the dream and enjoy life....
I hope everyone can attain that true richness in your own life....
Sincerely,
joes
You are one of the best on the net Joe. I would say more but you said it all. Although I do believe you were born and raised in Chicago but bug out to your Black Hills mountain place in the warm months?
MR. S... is also from Chicago but your being from Chicago, Joe proves that Chicago and even big cities are not All bad... Not sure how bad Chicago really is but from about all news and everything I have heard and read it is Not the best city in the world. But I really dislike all cities, for many different reasons.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,392 Posts

COD is a video game (Call of Duty).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post: