Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email Alerts for GLOCK 43 - The NEW 9mm Single Stack Glock apps47inc For Sale 1 03-20-2015 01:07 AM
Smith & Wesson SD40/SD40VE 40 S&W 14rd Mag (19927) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-12-2014 08:51 AM
NutinFancy Parody: Compares Glock 17 to Glock 17 KaBar67 Pistol and Revolver Forum 2 02-03-2013 03:25 PM
KCI Glock Magazines In Stock - 3 Pack $39 (Glock 17) or $45 (Glock 19) apps47inc For Sale 0 01-13-2013 03:21 PM
Glock 23 Gen 2 .40S&W Police Trades two 13 rd Magazines - $299 shipped, Glock 22 $319 apps47inc For Sale 0 10-19-2012 08:51 PM
Question to Glock armorers or Glock dealers Waldlaeufer Pistol and Revolver Forum 12 10-15-2012 01:44 PM
Smith & Wesson SD40 VE 40 S&W Pistol 4 Barrel 14 Rd Two-Tone - $283 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 09-07-2012 10:25 PM
My New S&W SD40 doodo40 Pistol and Revolver Forum 4 11-16-2010 08:30 AM
GLOCK GEN 4 Glock-22-GEN4-Dual-Recoil-Spring-in-Slide DESIGN ranbo1213 Pistol and Revolver Forum 6 10-20-2010 05:02 PM
Trading From Glock .40S&W to Glock 9mm Interested? (East TX) Capa Ender Pistol and Revolver Forum 10 05-17-2010 07:54 PM

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,362 Times in 2,816 Posts

Advertise Here

Since you mention LE agencies, how many issue the SD?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,447 Posts

There is no bigger snob than a gun snob.

The gun that is ideal for you may not work for me at all, and the one that suits me to a tee may be completely wrong for you. That's precisely why we have so many choices to pick from, so that everyone can find the one that works for them.

I have a Sigma, that is my EDC. I actually like it. I've shot it enough that the trigger doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm more accurate with it than any other handgun I own. The fact that it doesn't work for some people doesn't make it a bad gun. It just means it isn't right for them.

The fact that a gun costs more doesn't necessarily make it better.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
Since you mention LE agencies, how many issue the SD?
They were just released so none but some depts did use Sigmas how many of our troops carry a Glock? Whats your point?
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,439 Posts

I have felt the triggers on them and the sigmas
They are as long and nearly as nasty.
But
If a guy has to carry a double action only sidearm, they could be worse.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Good Guy

If smith would just fix that damdable magazine rattle, anyone deal with this loaded magazine rattle.....drives me nuts
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Survivor

People get their panties in a bunch as soon as you say anything bad about the Glock.

What makes a Glock so much above all other guns? Nothing break an early Sigma down and a Glock they are the same except for price. Im not against poly guns I own several but they should cost less for what you get. Glock went mainstream because of an insane marketing campaign along with product placement. Almost any modern handgun can burn through 1000 rounds non stop.

Some fine examples of Glocks product placement, they even paid to be in the script

US Marshals

Sam Gerard: [Referring to the Glock as he is changing magazines]these
things are so cool.
John Royce: Yeah.
Sam Gerard: They shoot underwater! You can pour sand in them and
they'll shoot. Shoot every time. It's a good choice.

Sam Gerard: [looking at Royce's Gun] Got a back-up weapon?
John Royce: Never had the need.
Sam Gerard: Get one.
[hands back Royce's gun]
Sam Gerard: Keep it in your suit unless I tell you to take it out. Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.

End of Days

Jericho Cane: Between your faith and my Glock nine millimeter, I'll take the Glock.

Die Hard

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month."

Glock, was presented with the 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award for Product Placement having co-starred in movies big and small since the advent of crime films and shoot 'em up flicks. Brandchannel notes that Ashton Kutcher's 2010 film, Killers, devotes an entire scene to a Glock. Similarly, the 2011 edition of Glock Autopistols magazine gushes about the gun's role in Salt, "... when Angelina shares the screen with the Austrian super gun

So how does a product become a star in Hollywood? Like everything else in Tinseltown, it helps to have an agent. Or perhaps, more accurately an "entertainment marketing" guru. Cue Los Angeles-based Stacy Jones, president of Hollywood Branded Inc.

Glocks also appeared prominently in 22 #1 box office films of 2010. In addition to The Expendables, Inception, The Other Guys, Kick Ass, and Takers, it also surfaced in Date Night, Red, The A-Team, Brooklyn's Finest, MacGruber, The Losers, Faster, Repo Men, Machete, Knight and Day, The Bounty Hunter, Edge of Darkness, Daybreakers, Legion, The Spy Next Door, The Crazies, and Green Zone.

It's impossible to know how many product placements Glock has secured since 1989. Easily thousands. But the brand certainly would not have come so far so fast without the invaluable product placements given it by Hollywood.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
They were just released so none but some depts did use Sigmas how many of our troops carry a Glock? Whats your point?
More than carry a Sigma. In addition to being carried by 70% of LEOs in America, numerous nations carry Glocks as standard issue. That's my point. You guys started this debate by comparing an economy handgun like the SD to a Glock. It's not an accurate comparison. Now compare the M&P to the Glock and then we have a apples to apples discussion.

I don't understand why you guys are so upset. I didn't call your wife ugly. I simply replied to the assertion that the SD was in some way equal to the Glock. I'm sorry that you are so displeased that I disagree.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:

It's impossible to know how many product placements Glock has secured since 1989. Easily thousands. But the brand certainly would not have come so far so fast without the invaluable product placements given it by Hollywood.
I wonder why Sigmas aren't in as many films. It must be because Smith's marketing folks missed the boat, huh?

Seriously, now you fault Glocks marketing genius? Do you think maybe in the movie US Marshals that maybe the director was seeking some accuracy in his film by having the actors carry Glocks, which also happens to actually BE the pistol issued to US Marshals?

Which Federal LE agency carries Sigmas, I wonder?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks107 View Post
If smith would just fix that damdable magazine rattle, anyone deal with this loaded magazine rattle.....drives me nuts
I cant figure out why they rattle so much, with my SD40 if I remove 1 round it will stop the rattle.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Survivor

Glocks are nothing special any modern semi auto today are all about the same. Glock has had many problems over the years that they tried to keep out of the public's attention. I dont hate Glocks I owned a few but found the grip angle to be strange and unnatural. The Sigma has the most natural feeling grip I have ever felt it is a point and shoot handgun. With the Glock I had to force the sights on target.

The Sigma is a great pistol evident by large sales for several years. Im beyond brand names some guys are more like high school girls going dress shopping with their brand name obsession. S&W now has a great pistol with the SD or SDVE the gun is very low cost, light and has a clean breaking trigger. As I said id put my SD40 up against any Glock23. There is no need to spend a huge amount of money to get a great shooting gun.

The Glock is more myth than reality people buy Glocks because cops carry them or because they saw them in a movie or read about them online. I buy firearms for offered features, price and the company reputation.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
I wonder why Sigmas aren't in as many films. It must be because Smith's marketing folks missed the boat, huh?

Seriously, now you fault Glocks marketing genius? Do you think maybe in the movie US Marshals that maybe the director was seeking some accuracy in his film by having the actors carry Glocks, which also happens to actually BE the pistol issued to US Marshals?

Which Federal LE agency carries Sigmas, I wonder?
Speaking of federal agency and handguns why did the Glock fail the DEAs drop test? Slides came off frames cracked as well as discharges of loaded round. Glock quietly made so called upgrades by replacing just about all of the FCG along with other parts. Claiming that the Glock is the best pistol because that is what most police depts issue is a stupid argument, if the pistol was so great why is it that the US Military doesnt issue it? Is the M9 the best pistol just because thats what the military uses? No it is just what they use.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,352 Times in 548 Posts

the new sdve's are fine weapons. especially for the street price of 329.00. you would be hard pressed to find a better gun for the money. The glock is a fine weapon itself and is certainly a great gun for its price point. is it the holy grail - maybe for some - not so much for others.
it is issued to many le agencies for many reasons. famed reliability for one but also cost and factory support. many issues go into the selection. im sure the sig fanboys would have issue with the glock also.

the new sd's ive handled and shot measure around 6-6.5 lb pulls that smoothed out and performed as well as any other current production polymer pistol. including glock. for the money - its hard to beat. better ergo's than most and definitely better than the glock in that respect.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,973 Times in 841 Posts

I seen one in 9mm when i was looking for a combat pistol. It was $379 and they had a ruger sr40c for $429. The sr had a way better feel and trigger so i bought it. I have no regrets i absolutly love the ruger consider the sr seris if you want a reliable striker fired pistol.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNdeerhunter96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNdeerhunter96 View Post
I seen one in 9mm when i was looking for a combat pistol. It was $379 and they had a ruger sr40c for $429. The sr had a way better feel and trigger so i bought it. I have no regrets i absolutly love the ruger consider the sr seris if you want a reliable striker fired pistol.
Watch out for the older ones they had a recall as they would fire if dropped
Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Trapper

The Glock is more myth than reality people buy Glocks because cops carry them or because they saw them in a movie or read about them online. I buy firearms for offered features, price and the company reputation.[/QUOTE]

I carry my glock because I have learned to shoot it well. When I feed it quality ammunition it has never failed. Everything that I didn't like about the Glock I have been able to fix with aftermarket parts and it still proves reliable.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,357 Times in 1,395 Posts

To each his own, without all the snobbery.

I've owned and fired a first generation Sigma .40 for almost 20 years now, and aside from the horrendous trigger weight, it's been a reliable and accurate pistol. Never had any issues so far with it and don't know of any "mag rattle" problem (???). The thing has quite a snap to it that you need to get used to, along with the trigger, which is really not that big of a deal if you put your mind to it.

I got another updated version a few years ago for carry use, should I choose to do so. These Sigma's were bought used and at a great price too. Probably because somebody was told their gun was a P.O.S. and went with the crowd, trading them for something else.

If needed for self defense it will perform that duty quite well. It's not a match target tool, nor should be considered as such, but it hits very accurately at the distances any SD firearm would be required to.

Glocks, M&P's and others are fine firearms. If that's what somebody chooses to buy, then they should do so without trashing another weapon that's perfectly serviceable within the purpose of its design.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,357 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote:
Watch out for the older ones they had a recall as they would fire if dropped
I've dropped my "older" Sigma .40 several times, I'm ashamed to say, and never had that problem. I actually don't see how a Sigma could fire if dropped, nor could a Glock or M&P.

I also used to own a S&W 39, which was said to have that problem decades ago. Never saw anything but news reports of cops (probably rookies) having ND's and mine never had a ND when I dropped it. It was a very fine pistol and my oldest son now has it.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,755 Times in 696 Posts

IT's better.. the sigma trigger was like dragging a chain through a pile of sand.

This one is better for sure.. It's like a smaller chain.. through finer sand.

Still junk.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandline View Post
I've dropped my "older" Sigma .40 several times, I'm ashamed to say, and never had that problem. I actually don't see how a Sigma could fire if dropped, nor could a Glock or M&P.

I also used to own a S&W 39, which was said to have that problem decades ago. Never saw anything but news reports of cops (probably rookies) having ND's and mine never had a ND when I dropped it. It was a very fine pistol and my oldest son now has it.
I was replying to the poster about his Ruger not the Sigma the Ruger SRs had a recall....I dont think there is any way to get a Sigma/SD to fire by dropping it because the striker is not pre-cocked as much as say the Glock or XD
Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,373 Times in 1,613 Posts
Exclamation Try being more open-minded about this new S&W handgun

I'm gonna go to the LGS and handle one of these new SD40's myself and see how objectionable the triggers really are. The trigger on my XD is nothing to brag about.. None of my Glocks have the 3-1/2lb trigger disconnect and probably break in the neighborhood of 6-7lbs..

When using striker-fired handguns like Ruger SR, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and Sigmas, they are more akin to shooting revolvers in double-action mode than autoloaders in single-action mode because of the long trigger slack take up and long reset. None of the striker-fired pistols are known for their "great triggers". Glock, XD, Sigma, M&P, Taurus--all their triggers suck, IMO. There's no second-strike capability and you have to rack the slide before you can fire them. They are all very effective within their rather limited capabilities of range and accuracy. A DA/SA can be cocked before firing enabling better accuracy potential due to lighter trigger pull compared to a s-f or DAO handgun.

How bad the trigger is on this new S&W remains to be seen. Until you've personally handled one and/or shot one it's merely your opinion on how well it functions. Bad mouthing something without having tried it does not lend to credibility and is like running your mouth with your brain in neutral.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post: