Canned Meat Reviews - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys think about canned meat? Kommandeer Food and water 60 06-12-2015 12:38 AM
Question about canned meat Floridian Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 06-11-2015 11:51 PM
fat in canned meat London808 Food and water 14 10-20-2014 11:36 PM
Best canned meat? Outraged Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-01-2013 10:56 AM
Top #1 best canned meat benson56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 118 04-01-2013 10:23 AM
Pressure canned meat peak_oil Food and water 6 09-03-2011 07:39 PM
About.com - Canned meat recipes newberrie Recipes 0 08-03-2010 04:25 PM
Canned Meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 01-29-2010 08:43 AM
Canned meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-23-2009 11:56 AM
canned meat Paradox Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-29-2008 06:14 AM

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,652 Times in 12,318 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Just a quick update... I ordered a case (12 cans) of meats from Werling and Sons on Friday the 6th, I received an email with a tracking number that same day and my order got here Tuesday the 10th (2 business days) and everything arrived very well packaged. All the cans were tightly packed in a box that was packed inside another box that was full of little green Styrofoam shipping peanuts. No dented cans out of the entire order. $50 for the 12 cans, $13.50 for shipping (not a light package) and it got here pretty quick and in good condition

I'll be trying out more of them in the next few weeks and posting reviews here.

Y'all keep adding your own reviews of canned meats here too, it's good to have a easy to find review before you buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canned Meats 02  01-10-12.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	60272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canned Meats 01-10-12.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	60273  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Great thread , thanx. I was buying the canned meat in natural juices from lehmans it looks the same, with good taste and decent texture, but its about 30% more expensive than the werlings brand, guess whos getting my next order. . . Also try those dry soup starters they're cheap, tasty and as they store indefinetly !

I agree with sr30, the canned chicken and even the canned beef in gravy from the Aldi's stores is very good, even tho there could be more beef and less gravy, and thier canned solid white tuna prices are hard to beat! Also i only shop about once every 4-6 weeks and the prices on thier canned veggies are good and as far as i'm concerned the quality of same is on a standard or better than name brands, same as thier canned fruits!

I get concerned when i hear people buying canned goods from the dollar stores I just hope you are all checking the dates on those cans, one of the biggest reasons those items are on their shelves is the expiration dates are close ! Altho i did find DelMonte 24oz tins of potatoes and green beans with new dates for $.89 a can one time , bought all 18 cases of them! Just make sure to check those dates !

I LIKE Spam! I also like those dek hams but i think their kinda pricy when not on sale!Sardines and canned slamon and makerel are also very good too, and are often on sale!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamma2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 42,824 Times in 14,057 Posts

Zamma, I know you're new here, but those "fresh" cans of spam,potted meat,etc, will be just as good YEARS down the line. I'm talking DECADES. Just so ya know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanked 18,743 Times in 5,307 Posts

Might be in glass (home canned) rather than metal, but I just processed 4 each quarts and pints of boneless pork loin in the pressure canner last night. Less work than canning fruits and veggies.

They all sealed well, now I'm trying to decide what to make out of some as a fair means of taste-test. And what should I compare it to?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Got my 12 cans today (Beef,Turkey,Chicken,Pork). Got a tracking number fast. Cans placed in a small box into a larger box with the styrofoam peanuts inside. All cans were in great cond.
Awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpacanio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 49,061 Times in 3,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
I like DAK hams 16 oz. cans, I bought mine at CVS when they were on sale.
There has already been so much said about them in other threads, I really don't know what I could add, except....a picture.
Man that makes me jealous, I love those things. I went out the other day and realized I was down to six cans, I need more! I bought when CVS had them on sale too. I also bought the salmon when it was on sale. There were only two cans on the shelf, I asked if they had anymore. The clerk asked how many I wanted, I said "All you have."

She just looked at me like I hadnt said anything, so I said "Thirty cans." Her eyes got wide and she "What! You cant have that many, there's a limit." Long story short, the district manger called me two days later to tell me my thirty cans of salmon were ready for pick up.

Thanks for the review J, I'll have to order some. Beef is the hole in my meat preps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angeryamerican For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 49,061 Times in 3,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Lynn View Post
Might be in glass (home canned) rather than metal, but I just processed 4 each quarts and pints of boneless pork loin in the pressure canner last night. Less work than canning fruits and veggies.

They all sealed well, now I'm trying to decide what to make out of some as a fair means of taste-test. And what should I compare it to?
I've been thinking about doing that, how hard is it? I want to do some beef and pork.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angeryamerican For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Thanked 18,743 Times in 5,307 Posts

The basic instructions came with the canner, and I want basic ingredients as being more versatile to cook with.

Check out the huge canning thread in the farming, gardening & cooking section.

To answer: plain meat, cut in small chunks, super easy.

Last edited by W.Lynn; 01-14-2012 at 05:56 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I love this forum

Just wanted to say thanks for the info, I'm going to give it a try. By the way if anyone is thinking of buying some Sweet Sue's Chicken Stew for preps or other wise, " Don't" I was a truck driver and I went in to the wrong door at the Sweet Sue's Plant. I'm still not sure what I saw but trust me you don't want to eat that stuf, cuz if you do you might not live to WTSHTF. If you know what I mean.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I am whatever I say I am

I love Brookdale Roast Beef with Gravy, which is available at ALDI. It's about $3 for a 12oz can, but the stuff is absolutely to die for. Tastes pretty good straight out of the can, and even better if it's fried a little (not much oil is needed, there is enough grease in the can to fry its contents). I have about 60 cans of it put back and planning to get more.

Warning: do not confuse with Brookdale Beef Stew, also at ALDI, which is absolutely disgusting!
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInABunker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,468 Posts

I bought a presto canner/pressure cooker recently and intend to can my own
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM

I canned about 9 turkeys, when they were on sale between Thanksgiving & Christmas at a cost of .34 cent p/lb. I roasted them as normal, 2 at a time, then pulled off all the meat and canned it using the broth I had already from canning chicken breast that I skinned and de-fatted before I cooked it, so the broth is perfect. I got about 3 cases of quarts and still have about 2 to 3 turkeys worth of cooked, pulled meat off the bone already, and froze, because I got so tired of canning at that time. I must get it out and can it soon. Canning meat is not hard, in case anyone doesn't know how..... get rid of all skin & fat, cook it, then put it in mason jars, add broth or hot water to cover meat, but leaving 1" (inch) head spaced, make sure to get out air bubbles, place hot lid and rim to hand tightened strength, use pressure cooker with 1" (inch) water in canner, and can at 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes. Anything with meat in it or any meat must be canned in pressure cooker and at 10 pounds pressure and for 90 minutes. Hope this helps. I can all meat, ham, ground turkey, ground beef, chicken, beef chunks, roast beef, turkey meat, everything.....and always the same, as stated above.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,186 Posts

I don't precook chicken or any other meat that's not fatty. You can, but I don't think you have to. It gets cooked well enough when it's in the canner.

If you're canning meat in pint sized jars, you only have to keep it cooking at 10 pounds pressure for 75 minutes (depending on your altitude).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IdahoGard'ner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM

I love canned salmon. Aside from my rabbits, most of my meat prepping is canned salmon. Its cheaper than most other canned meats and probably healthier too. Now I just have to stock up on ketchup to eat it with, plus some more cans of salmon. Store brands are good, I've noticed that most of the cans are identical once you remove the store label. The shape, metal, and dating print on all of them is the same. Likely there is one or two processors of salmon that supply all of the national and store brands, just like in the meat industry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okapi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Corned Beef Hash.

It's in every store, it'd DELICIOUS.

My top 4 in ranking order by taste are:

4. Armor
3. Mary Kitchen
2. Castleberry

... Armor is rather fatty. Fry is on a greased skilled and its good. Mary Kitchen is about the same, but a little better IMHO than Armor.
Castleberry's is lower in protein, and has decidedly more potato than Armor and Mary Kitchen. However, the meat in it has about the same fat content (in other words, greasy!).. and the extra potato-to-meat content gives Castleberry a much better product to my pallet.

HOWEVER...

There is a canned corned beef hash, or at least there was.. made by a company called Broadcast. This is the brand I was raised on. It was sold at Shop Rite (for all my fellow Yankees out there.). This is pretty much my Holy Grail of canned corned beef hash. None of the other 3 I listed hold a candle to the canned culinary perfection that is Broadcast Corned Beef Hash.

That said, my pantry has several cans of Castleberry's hash and Mary Kitchen. Mix either with some scrambled eggs, and you've got yourself a breakfast that has you ready to work your tail off.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JayKay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Target Shooter

The Costco by me now has 4 different varieties of canned salmon that are all good. And the expiration dates for cans I bought this year all go out to at least July 2015.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueechoFeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Target Shooter

i just had the hormel corned beef hash yesterday. emptied it into a non stick skilled and fried at med low till crispy. added in some onion powder for kick and coarse ground black pepper.

$2.50 a can at the PX. sigh...

velveeta cheese 12 ounces is now 4.50 too. sigh..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 PM

I purchased the mixed case of Yoder's meats. It does look like it might be the same product as Werlings.
The Following User Says Thank You to JayBrian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 PM

I've used canned roast beef, several different brands. Fresh & Easy and Costco Kirkland Brand off the top of my head. Nice chunks of tender roast beef in a salty liquid/gravy. I drain it, heat it and shred it and use it for tacos, burritos, nachos, etc.

Definitely edible, dare I say tasty - probably better then some fast-food shredded beef I've had. I use it now in "regular" life and certainly would see it as a good prep item. Mixed with some rice and beans would be a great simple meal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lastrobotstanding For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Hi, this question might be betther for the recipe section, but since we are talking canned meat. About the Kirkland Roast beef how do you prepare it recipe wise. I'm trying to talk the family into trying it, but they are not to excited about canned meat, they like tuna, chicken and salmon. Thanks