SKS instead of Ar-15/AK-47? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Hiker

Default SKS instead of Ar-15/AK-47?

Advertise Here

I had a crazy idea or maybe a not so crazy idea. Down at my local gun shop there is a used SKS of unknown origins that they are selling for $295.00US. Is it worth picking it up and upgrading it into a Tapco Stock and 20 round clips? Would it make a good alternative to the AK or AR Platform? Or is it more worth my while to just buy a Delton AR-15?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Press 1 for English

Thanked 1,482 Times in 509 Posts

For $295, buy no matter what, it can always be upgraded, or tell me where the store is and I will get it ! SKS is a good gun ,easy to own and you can get another gun later in 5.56 to add to your collection because as they say "Like potato chips, you can't just have one". Gun collecting gets under your skin.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM

I bought an SKS went crazy with Tapco stock and mags. Sold the old furniture at a garage sale now I regret it and wish it was stock again =(
The Following User Says Thank You to Evolution-22- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,133 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgator View Post
For $295, buy no matter what, it can always be upgraded, or tell me where the store is and I will get it ! SKS is a good gun ,easy to own and you can get another gun later in 5.56 to add to your collection because as they say "Like potato chips, you can't just have one". Gun collecting gets under your skin.
Not for me, I see them as tools. When I buy a gun that fills a purpose, I don't need another one. All I have is my Glock 19 for now, had to sell my AK, .22 rifle and pistol to get my car fixed and pay rent a few months ago. I don't feel the need for another handgun, because they all pretty much do the same thing, close range emergency defense. Same with a rifle. Whatever I get, I'll probably just call it good. A rifle, pistol, and some type of .22 is about all you need. A shotgun is good, but too limited, the ammo is heavy, the weapon has too short of a range, and the capacity is small.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Msurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,544 Times in 6,910 Posts

$295 is a little on the high end for an SKS right now and by the time you get a Tapco stock $80, and some Tapco mags $45 (3) = $420 you can get a good entry level AK right now.

Don't get me wrong, I have 5 SKS and love them, but $295 is too much for an SKS unless you know what you are buying (Russians are selling in the $350 range right now, so almost $300 for a Norinco or Yugo is too much IMO), if you can get the store closer to $200 I say go ahead and get it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 AM
happiness is a warm gun

Thanked 1,138 Times in 441 Posts

I went to a huge gun show yesterday in St. Louis. Saw probably 20 to 25 SKS's. The beater YUGO's and Norincos that were mis-matched or missing a cleaning rod or cleaning kit were starting at 260.00/270.00 The top of the line brand new condition Russian or Norinco were in the 380.00 to 500.00 range with the Russians being the most expensive.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,544 Times in 6,910 Posts

That's why you don't buy SKS's at gunshows.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Resident Gold miner

I saw one last week with the upgraded Tapco stock and 30 round mag for $225. So I agree the price is too high on that one. However, I like the SKS since it's a cheap shooter, and for the SHTF situation you can afford to arm your whole neighborhood pretty cheaply. Just keep haunting the pawnshops till you get one at a better price.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Target Shooter

I would hagle with the shop. Offer about 225 for it and go from there. I have 2 sks's and love them. It was my main battle rifle until i got the extra cash to get my AK and Ar. Shoot it with out the extras first and see how you like it. I have one thats plain jane and the other has the 6po stock with quad rail and 20rnd mags. I like them both but both serves differnt porpose. But like i said hagle with the shop and get it cheaper. If you do get it and decide on the after market furniture go to www.jsesurplus.com. Their freinds of mine and thats were i get all of my gear their pretty cheap.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM

love my SKS. Bubba'd it out with Tapco (black). Five 20 rnd clips, tri-rail, etc. I kept the original wood items, so if I ever decide to sell, the buyer has more incentive. Love it. Paid $250, all #'s match, and I wouldn't trade it for much. I would get the store a little lower on the price, if you plan on converting it.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Hiker

The SKS is usually a very solid gun but by the time you put the money in one to put on all the TAPCO stuff you could just get a WASR-10 or entry level AR-15 and probably be a lot happier.

I have a bunch of SKS rifles and even one that I have TAPCO's out. Its a paratrooper and so far I have the TAPCO stock, TAPCO magazines, TAPCO 922r compliance parts, and Tech-sights. It just needs the sythian magazine release, duckbill less conversion, and a left side or galil style charging handle and it would be perfect.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Hunter

my "son" who is 15 got a SKS a couple weeks ago as his "survival rifle".
A fine rifle,a true basic all around working rifle that will work for you on a budget.
Leave it stock and get a couple chinese chest pouch's.
IF you have to have a scope for this...not something I would do.
I would go to kalinka optics and get a side rail and scope so you can do it AK style and have use with your irons and it will slide on and off and hold zero.
Dont fool around with the top covers or ATI stocks.
Only mod I would think about would be the chinese 20 round box mag if you can find one.

There are deals out there,people are needing money and most people dont want to spend 300plus on an SKS when they can get a AK for 300plus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rd11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,161 Times in 3,372 Posts

First, you should decide on which caliber you want to run. 5.56 vs 7.62x39. There is a huge difference, so choose what will suit your needs better.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Prepared

Another option is to pick up a Saiga, I think the ak-47's start around $299 -350. Brand new, made in Russia parts. You can convert them if desired (though recommended) and when your budget permits.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
FO

Thanked 2,255 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
upgraded Tapco stock
That's an oxymoron.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 13FoxTrot10 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
skogbeskytter

Thanked 1,043 Times in 478 Posts

A stock SKS is fine for what is is, a Robust intermediate cartridge low capacity rifle loaded with stripper clips.

"most" add-ons weaken it, It is not a replacement for AK/AR.

Current prices, Cost being close Saiga sporter is a far better choice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
skogbeskytter

Thanked 1,043 Times in 478 Posts

double post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Press 1 for English

Thanked 1,482 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
$295 is a little on the high end for an SKS right now and by the time you get a Tapco stock $80, and some Tapco mags $45 (3) = $420 you can get a good entry level AK right now.

Don't get me wrong, I have 5 SKS and love them, but $295 is too much for an SKS unless you know what you are buying (Russians are selling in the $350 range right now, so almost $300 for a Norinco or Yugo is too much IMO), if you can get the store closer to $200 I say go ahead and get it.
Around here they are selling for $350/380, so $295(maybe $250, with sweet talk) is a good price if in good shape. Gun show SKS's I would never buy, have never seen a good one there. Keep hoping though, need a 7.62 for my collection and do not want a AK47, just don't suit me, my AK74 is much better suited for me.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,147 Times in 418 Posts

I prefer the SKS, more powerful round than the AR and longer range than the AK due to the longer barrel. If you find one with a good bore then accuracy should be good with good ammo, just like any other rifle. I look at the SKS as being a rifle built for, used on, and proven on the battelfield. Many AKs and ARs are commecial copies of military rifles that may not be as durable as their military cousins under adverse conditions. As for the 10 round magazine, I see that as something that reminds me to be more stingy with my ammo instead of doing a spray and pray. And there are detachable mags I can get for mine that works just fine, if needed I can pull the original out and be able to have the same capacity as the AR or AK, I think the original mag looks better so that is how mine is set up now. Of course this is my opinion, I'm sure there are many that will disagree. So it really comes down to personal choice. I wouldn't be disappointed to have a good SKS, AK, or AR with me in a SHTF situation, they can all be good rifles.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,018 Times in 3,649 Posts

My advice with the SKS is to know which rifles are good and which are bad. Not all were made with equal care or equal quality of parts. They are not like an AK which are hard to screw up (the worst problem I had with cheap AKs is the edges were sharp - easily fixed with a file, and they would not accept some mags, again easily fixed with a file).

Just before the AWB China put a big rush on making and importing both SKS and AK rifles into the USA. The AKs were made in manufacturing plants and while they cut some steps in the process, the rifles could easily be made to work well and were safe.

Some SKS rifles were made in manufacturing plants, others were put together in homes where some guy was issued a bunch of parts and told to finish them. So you wound up with parts heat treated over a coal fire (if at all) and sometimes pounded together with a hammer. Results observed have been screw in barrels put into pin guns and vice versa. Poor fit and bad headspacing.

That is not to say all SKS rifles are like that, just that for a short period some were made with the infamous Chinese uncaring attitude towards quality with quantity being God. Many Chinese SKS rifles are pretty good, but a few are pretty bad.

This is why I say you need to know what you are getting.

For my money, I would rather spend a bit more and get a cheap AK than even a nice SKS. YMMV.