Anyone else having trouble with Berkey filter wing nuts? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Onion" satire or real life left wing nuts? Medieval Man General Discussion 12 04-22-2015 07:25 PM
Which Berkey Water Filter Jake2196 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 01-23-2013 09:34 AM
Did Berkey fix the filter problems? johnw104 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 104 12-03-2012 07:49 PM
big berkey filter question? jodier7 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 09-06-2012 11:31 AM
Big Berkey water filter? shamgar57 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 06-07-2012 10:34 PM
Slow sand filter plus berkey filter in 5 gallon bucket kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 03-24-2012 10:14 PM
Berkey filter help!!! Bearcub Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 09-28-2010 03:43 PM
Big Berkey Filter - $185 thru 7-31-09 AZOpie For Sale 2 08-10-2009 11:02 AM

Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Anti-Raider Patrol

Advertise Here

I've researched a lot and my understanding is that they will not remove viruses. Other than that they make the water safe. They are as good as any portable backpacker type filter. I'm not too concerned with virsuse and if I was I would just boil or treat the water before filtering.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Indiana Camper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Camper View Post
I've researched a lot and my understanding is that they will not remove viruses. Other than that they make the water safe. They are as good as any portable backpacker type filter. I'm not too concerned with virsuse and if I was I would just boil or treat the water before filtering.
I called two different "authorized dealers" in my 4 month shopping decision and both said was effective against viruses, otherwise was not interested, this was presented to me as a purifier.
The Following User Says Thank You to captaingreg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 506 Posts

Since we are picking apart the Berkeys ...I had an issue with the black washers that seal the dispenser. I noticed that I was getting a leak between the dispenser and the main holding tank. I took it all apart and looked at the washers with a magnifying glass.

The surface of the washers is not entirely smooth. It is not possible to tighten the wingnut for the dispenser tight enough to seal (the dispenser stem would be damaged). I solved the problem by smearing a very tiny bit of USP-rated (food grade) silicon grease on each side of the washer and on the flange of the dispenser, then installed and tightened up wingnut.

Problem solved...no more dripping.

I would suggest a material with less durometer, thereby reducing the amount of force necessary to achieve a good and proper seal.

Berkey filters...er, purifiers. Good stuff! It is good for them to hear about all of these problems so they can get resolved. I'm sure they want to be the very best in every regard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wifiwaves For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I just checked the two filters in the Royal Berkey I got about a month ago. I separated the top from the bottom and when I turned the top upside down, both filters fell out. It looks like the glue used to attach the filters to the base where the stem is was defective. I guess I can send them back to the Berkey Guy for a replacement, but I remember reading about a food grade silicone glue somewhere, so I may try that first. It seems Berkey may be having some QA problems lately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stilagrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiwaves View Post
Since we are picking apart the Berkeys ...I had an issue with the black washers that seal the dispenser. I noticed that I was getting a leak between the dispenser and the main holding tank. I took it all apart and looked at the washers with a magnifying glass.

The surface of the washers is not entirely smooth. It is not possible to tighten the wingnut for the dispenser tight enough to seal (the dispenser stem would be damaged). I solved the problem by smearing a very tiny bit of USP-rated (food grade) silicon grease on each side of the washer and on the flange of the dispenser, then installed and tightened up wingnut.

Problem solved...no more dripping.

I would suggest a material with less durometer, thereby reducing the amount of force necessary to achieve a good and proper seal.

Berkey filters...er, purifiers. Good stuff! It is good for them to hear about all of these problems so they can get resolved. I'm sure they want to be the very best in every regard.
I thought that exact thing. A softer washer may be a quick fix since it does seem that those black washers take a good bit of pressure to seal. I might try that. A light coating of silicone grease on the washers would definitely help as well. It is almost mandatory for sealing beer keg dispensing washers.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Prepared

The loose nut problem can be solved with teflon tape, just wrap enough around the threads evenly until you have no more sloppiness and screw the nut on. The screw stem pulling out problem I have no clue as how to fix.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lunarkingdom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarkingdom View Post
The loose nut problem can be solved with teflon tape, just wrap enough around the threads evenly until you have no more sloppiness and screw the nut on. The screw stem pulling out problem I have no clue as how to fix.
That is an excellent idea. Why the hell didn't I think of that I will definitely give that a try however I would still like to see them address the problem. In theory, the teflon tape might just give the threads enough engagement to hold properly. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,394 Posts

Could be that there's a difference in the thread match between the nuts and the male-threaded parts. Metric and SAE/English threads tend to be mis-matched on occasion and you might want to get a nut and bolt supplier to use a guage on the ones in your Berkey's. Sloppy fit is a prime symptom.

Crappy materials could also contribute to a bad fit due to wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Looks like he's away for the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
Alright, I pm'd theberkeyguy so lets get him on here and see what he has to offer.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,505 Times in 610 Posts

You are over tightening the nut. Once it slips once, you have damaged the threads. Is your filter leaking around the washers?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 PM

No overtightening here - my arthritic hands are incapable of it. They fail easily in my experience - threads OK, it is the stem that rotates inside the filter with mine. Not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEPER View Post
You are over tightening the nut. Once it slips once, you have damaged the threads. Is your filter leaking around the washers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 PM
uhhh, OK

This concerns me as I was about to order one. I am not going to spend that kind of money on a filter system that leaks. Is there other filters that do the same thing that does not have this problem?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 PM

I've not heard of problems with other brands BUT on this board I bet there are 20 Berkey owners for every 1 other brand. They are real popular here.

The others may have similar problems - just we've not heard of them yet !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
This concerns me as I was about to order one. I am not going to spend that kind of money on a filter system that leaks. Is there other filters that do the same thing that does not have this problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Prepared

Mine is 1 month old. Failed the food coloring test and then as I was tightening the wingnuts, one slipped. Fortunately I'm just filtering tap water now, but ....
The Following User Says Thank You to thelastboyscout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Thanked 1,156 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
No overtightening here - my arthritic hands are incapable of it. They fail easily in my experience - threads OK, it is the stem that rotates inside the filter with mine. Not good
Helpful hint:

When tightening the wingnut on the filter, hold the stem with one hand to prevent it from turning while tightening the wingnut with the other hand.

I also noticed that it is possible to over-tighten these quite easily so be careful. "More tighter" is not "more better"...!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifiwaves For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 PM

You probably used the wrong brand of food coloring :-)

Not tried that test with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastboyscout View Post
Mine is 1 month old. Failed the food coloring test and then as I was tightening the wingnuts, one slipped. Fortunately I'm just filtering tap water now, but ....
Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 PM

Berkey Guy won't deal with you - you'll need to contact the manufacturer directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilagrrl View Post
I just checked the two filters in the Royal Berkey I got about a month ago. I separated the top from the bottom and when I turned the top upside down, both filters fell out. It looks like the glue used to attach the filters to the base where the stem is was defective. I guess I can send them back to the Berkey Guy for a replacement, but I remember reading about a food grade silicone glue somewhere, so I may try that first. It seems Berkey may be having some QA problems lately.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Reading and Posting

Thanked 6,664 Times in 5,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
Berkey Guy won't deal with you - you'll need to contact the manufacturer directly
In relation to warranty, we have been asked by New Millennium, to have customers who need warranty, to contact them (We provide their number and email if necessary), but we help answer questions, and make sure people receive replacement parts when contacting them for warranty. In the end, we deal with the problems as much as we can, and only refer people to New Mellenium when a part needs to be replaced.

theberkeyguy
The Following User Says Thank You to theberkeyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Reading and Posting

Thanked 6,664 Times in 5,910 Posts

I have read all the responses here in relation to the wingnut problems, and some of the other problems that were mentioned.

While i have not seen this problem a lot, it does happen. While I have never done or heard of the Teflon tape fix, that one sounds like a good idea, and if anyone has success with it, please share your experience here. When problems with wing nuts do arrive, we will either send one out to the customer if we have a replacement in hand, or we will have them contact New Millennium for a replacement wing nut, which should solve the problem. New Millennium is no doubt extremely busy right now, as demand has skyrocketed for Berkey Systems, so their turnaround on warranties can be longer than expected. If anyone needs their contact info, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or please call us at 877-886-3653.

I will check back on this thread. Thanks again to those who have shared their experiences.

theberkeyguy
The Following User Says Thank You to theberkeyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 AM

so,berkey guy does it remove viruses or not?
The Following User Says Thank You to captaingreg For This Useful Post: