Survivalist Dogs - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survivalist? or Survivalist Wannabe? PaulAllen Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 83 01-03-2017 12:04 PM
Light Hearted Dog Thread - by Dogs for Dogs Purdy Bear General Discussion 65 09-23-2016 12:20 AM
Dogs -- What dogs do you consider survival tools? Zorrito Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 100 08-09-2016 03:57 PM
urba survivalist=oxymoron? yuppie survivalist=just a moron? azsunset Urban Survival 87 11-03-2015 11:42 AM
Internet Survivalist Radio Show Coming July 4th 2009 All Survivalist Can Contribute Prepared2Surviv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 07-21-2015 02:44 PM
Guard Dogs v. Watch Dogs for home and property protection sabotage39k General Discussion 25 06-27-2015 02:17 PM
Weak Survivalist, Strong Survivalist. Which are you? JOracle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 82 08-27-2014 06:36 PM
Chasing dogs; having dogs (a dog thread) Catapult General Discussion 29 04-11-2014 11:34 PM
Are YOU a real survivalist, or a survivalist wannabe? sgtdraino Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 125 06-11-2012 04:28 AM
Who let the dogs out? miss becky General Discussion 17 09-07-2010 04:27 PM

Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,884 Times in 862 Posts

Advertise Here

I'm late to the party. I think it really depends on your overall plans. I am not the type that is going to run off to a hidden bunker and eat my dehydrated food for ever. I would be much more apt to set up an area where me (wife and 2 kids) and some friends could all help each other. With this I am sure some of my friends would bring some family too. So this starts looking like a small camp now. I am not looking for a dog to help hunt or kill wild animals, I am looking for a dog that would deter people from attacking my family when I am not around. So I would choose a German Shepard.

In a true TEOTWAWKI situation, tribes and villages will start to form and people will start showing up and not all of them will be friendly and a good first line of defense are a few armed guards with GS.

For the rats/mice problem I would probably keep some cats around, I wouldn't really "feed" them but I would "allow" them to hunt and kill the mice and rats.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Target Shooter

Allowing dogs and cats to chase and kill other animals, be it rodents or larger animals, is not advisable in certain scenarios such as NBC attacks. In that case, your animals need to be inside a protected shelter with you. Livestock such as cows, horses, sheep, goats, chickens, bees, etc. also need protective shelters. Losing your farm animals can make a big difference in your ability to survive long term.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmike357 View Post
For the rats/mice problem I would probably keep some cats around, I wouldn't really "feed" them but I would "allow" them to hunt and kill the mice and rats.
Cats tend to wander away, more readily if nobody is feeding them. If you intend to move from one location to another it makes it less likely that the cats would make it too or remain at the new location. I could be wrong but I haven't heard of nomadic people traveling with cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorborne View Post
Cats tend to wander away, more readily if nobody is feeding them. If you intend to move from one location to another it makes it less likely that the cats would make it too or remain at the new location. I could be wrong but I haven't heard of nomadic people traveling with cats.
I won't be travelling at all. I will be wholed up at my work. Its a set of big industrial buildings, with one being almost completely empty. We actually have a few cats that live here now and hopefully we would have enough around to keep the rat/mice population down. I would give the cats some water to keep them enticed to stay.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Got to keep on keepin on

Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,018 Posts

Jmtc, but it's not as much the "dog", but the training or lack thereof.

Any dog can be a POS w/o training. Many (but not all) dogs can perform awesome jobs outside their breeding if only properly taught & reinforced.

If I had to try to go through an EOTW/SHTF scenario without my buddy Magnum, it would be MUCH more difficult, imo.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
"Nothing is over!"

I own a Husky, and it don't hardly bark at all. It goes into sneaky attack mode. He eyes his target and lays low to the ground until the critical moment when he attacks. He does bark when he's tied and sees somebody playing in water. He wants to play too. I'm not real sure if he would bark if some one was sneaking around the house. If he were loose he might do a sneak attack.

I think a beagle is good for hunting, and alerting, maybe to good at alerting.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Hunter

What about just having a dog for companionship? I would have a bulldog in that case. I thinking having a pet around would teach the kids responsibility at a young age, something they would surely need in TEOTWAWKI.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Prepared

I love the Cane Corso!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,195 Times in 798 Posts

Everybody has their own favorite dog. However, for a productive discussion of dogs first you really need to decide what is needed that a dog can provide. Here are a few thoughts:

1) Security

2) Hunting

3) Companionship

4) guarding livestock

5) attack dogs

6) dogs that sniff things like dead bodies, drugs, or pigs that sniff truffles

7) Weather ready dogs like dogs for cold weather and sled pulling.

I am sure there are more dog needs that can be added to the list.

Anyway, my vote is for German Shorthaired Pointer.

it is good at home security. It will bite people. It is a hunter/retriever, searches for birds and points at them. Great water retriever dog. It is not an attack dog like a police dog, so building clearing is out. It is a good family dog. I don't think it would guard livestock like goats and sheep. It is a warm weather dog.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GermanShorthairedPointer.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	47907  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
LOL, so I am wrong that I've never seen one that would keep quiet? This freaking place kills me.
Oh, I am sure you have seen yap yap small dogs, therefore your argument.
But you paint, again, ALL of them as yapppers and that is a conclusion that simply isn't true.

My full sized pure bred Lab would bark at a mouse fart, till I put the bark fix on him.
My min pin just barely show's his teeth let alone ever bark.

Not to bad for kids huh?

You don't like the place with its wealth of information please leave.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM
bye bye

Role of dogs has changed a lot in recent years; exhibitions, breeders and stupid customers have destroyed almost all breeds. Dogs today have nothing of the quality of their ancestors, they live badly, genetic impoverishment is a disaster that no veterinarian is able to heal.
Obsession with european and asian shepherd dogs is a symptom of dissatisfaction with expectations betrayed by the most popular breeds. But to have in the garden and in the house a maremma or a caucasian sheperd is not like having a german shepherd or a rottweiler. Of course breeders do not speak of the true character of those dogs .
I wrote this introduction because I think these as key considerations.
Some behaviors are innate, others may develop if the dog grows in a friendly and stimulating house.
Big dogs and small dogs have advantages and disadvantages.
I have, now3 mutts, I had rescued many dogs from bad situations in past times; usually mutts are healthier and live longer.
Often females are more attentive guardians.
Large dogs tolerate better cold weather and are better for long hikes on hills and mountains.
My dog's ideal weight is not exceeding 35kg (77 lbs), he has not purebred parents, and has a partner with a similar story. I like dogs in pairs or small groups.
I have learned to walk holding on to a german shepherd lived almost 17 years; when I went out with my first girlfriends he was still with me. When I was a kid my parents could not yell at me because he was standing in front of me and growled at them...
Now german shepherds have deformed back, legs like a frog, live half of my with a multitude of diseases and illnesses.
The very best dog is a healthy and faithful friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brigante For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,861 Posts

With all the recent threads on "Survival Dogs" where did you dig this 3 year old thread up?

The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 AM
bye bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackWater View Post
With all the recent threads on "Survival Dogs" where did you dig this 3 year old thread up?

Threads on dogs??
They are never enough!!
I am a little snob, I like vintage. Don' t you?
The Following User Says Thank You to brigante For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,750 Times in 10,660 Posts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Target Shooter

We live on a farm... & have always had a couple inside dogs, & one outside dog... we currently have 2 ( even though 1 would be enough ) inside dog, & 1 big outside dog... inside dog's job, it to bark at anything out of the norm, & keep momma company... outside dog's job, is to bark at strangers ( this latest one is not so good at that ), keep varmints & other animals away from the building site & our livestock, & keep poppa company when I'm outside

I think ideally one of each, & breed is not as important, though I like non shedding for the inside dog, & a good under coat on the outside dog, to keep them warm in the cold MN winters... we have Bichon, & Bichon poodle crosses in the house, outside is currently a German Shepard Husky cross... we've had several outside dogs over the years, probably the best was a Norwegian Elk Hound, probably the worst had short hair, that we had to let sleep in side in the winter
Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,129 Times in 934 Posts

An additional advantage of a big dog is that many people find them scary and threatening. We have a Great Dane/Retriever mix and he growls like a bear and has a booming bark. He's a great dog but is an excellent protector of ourselves and our house. The FedEx delivery person does a drop-and-run even though the dog is locked on the other side of the front door.
So whether the dog will actually attack, people generally don't want to find out. No little yapper offers that type of pre-emptive protection.
B
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,427 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorborne View Post
To be clear, I am not a Paris Hilton fan and he best dog I ever had was a big dog. My current dog is best described as medium, but if I were buying a dog a week before TEOTWAWKI I would pick a little dog. The exception would be if I were bugging out of Minnesota in a dog sled, there is a reason there are no poodles in the Iditarod. If you had a work dog already trained for hunting or tracking they would likely remain useful enough to justify a years supply of dog food.

Dog food is the most obvious advantage of a smaller dog. They eat less food, which costs less money and takes up less space. Water may be a consideration if it becomes scarce, again this situation would favor the little dog.

I have surprised many Iraqi and Afghanis in the wee hours of the morning. But not once did we ever surprise the dogs. Dogs bark! Their alertness is the biggest benefit they have to offer. Little dogs are called yip-yaps for a reason. They may not defend you, that is what a 12 gauge is for, but they will wake you up and tell you to get the shotgun handy.

A large dog can be trained to attack and offer a threat that no Chihuahua will ever match. That requires somebody to train and handle him though. In the military dog handlers are their own occupational specialty. They offer advantages if you have the resources. But I don’t and I suspect most others direct their time and energy into other things as well.

I am curious what others think.
When I was a Cadet at NMMI, While Sgt. Of the guard, a visitor (girlfriend) came after night study hall to see her beau...she brought along a Chihuahua which ran into the quadrangle while she was filling out the visitation slip. I dispatched a cadet private to get the dog for her as it was in an area not open to visitors at that hour. He brought the dob back to her and as he was handing it to her that dog ripped into his face and gave him a wound that required 14 stitches to mend.

Small dogs will attack if threatened and they will defend their people against almost any odds.

"It is not about the amount of dog in the fight it is about the amount of fight in the dog."
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
USCG Master Captain

My 13-1/2 pound schnauzer in keenly aware of everything going on around the boat. She growls first and if we tell her "it's okay", she does not bark. I and my retired LEO wife can handle everything after that. BGs don't want be detected before the marks are aware of the threat. Having a dog, regardless of the size, is a great deterrent.

The schnauzers do not shed - no hair lost whatsoever. They are a great option for keeping inside. IMHO...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM

I couldn't imagine a life without dogs. If there were no dogs, little point in surviving!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake Johnson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,750 Times in 10,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Johnson View Post
I couldn't imagine a life without dogs. If there were no dogs, little point in surviving!
Here, have a puppy!
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post: