What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 03:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 07:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 07:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 17 03-05-2017 09:08 AM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Swampy McSwamp

Advertise Here

Rebuilding my garden situation

Pondering raising chickens in a gated community.. lol
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Swamp_Hiker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,732 Posts

I think theres a whole thread on this already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Still working on that cast net. She's a beauty!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daval For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Your move Sparky...

Thanked 14,834 Times in 4,955 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Getting better at smoking fish. So far mine only lasts about 1 month. I can't use nitrates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand View Post
Getting better at smoking fish. So far mine only lasts about 1 month. I can't use nitrates.
I know people who make their own salami. They too refuse to use nitrate, so they use citric acid. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how much to add, but it might be worth experimenting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
Today I did some research on heirloom seeds and passed the info on, to some friends. Also will be hitting the pool to get the exercise in. Will be reading my survival manual during my down time tonight.

Prepping can be quite overwhelming to beginners, but doable in bite sized pieces.

It would be neat to hear what all of you are doing.
I was surveying some places to go for quick retreats. I am preparing to fill all my fuel sources. That about it for today!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misty22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM

I am headed to the other side of Indianapolis Ind. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive . Picking up 175 cases of brand new canning jars. For $1. per case & 50$ in gas it is well worth it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dylanM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanM View Post
I am headed to the other side of Indianapolis Ind. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive . Picking up 175 cases of brand new canning jars. For $1. per case & 50$ in gas it is well worth it.
Awesome find!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Target Shooter

Default well

I made 35lbs of deer sausage and about 10 lbs of tenderloin steaks. My daughter hit a large doe last night I picked it up and now have the extra meat!!!

I know some say that deer meat is not any good in the summer, thats cause they have not tried it!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beachbummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbummer View Post
I made 35lbs of deer sausage and about 10 lbs of tenderloin steaks. My daughter hit a large doe last night I picked it up and now have the extra meat!!!

I know some say that deer meat is not any good in the summer, thats cause they have not tried it!!
You'll have to teach her how to shoot. Much cheaper that using cars to hunt!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Flying under the radar

Wow! I am so impressed with the great strides being made by so many of you. I sometimes get frustrated with the fact that my prepping goes slowly and is made more difficult by the fact that I don't usually stay in one place more than a couple of months. Family does not see the need to prep either. However, after reading this thread, I know I just need to keep at it daily. Hopefully, if the time comes that I need to use the preps I will have them nearby. Thanks for the inspiration....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Survive... for what?

Thanked 1,410 Times in 575 Posts

Bought a large livetrap for a fox that has been getting my chickens... but it will come in handy catching food after TSHTF. Also bought two 5 gallon buckets for my self powered clothes washer from beprepared.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Discordish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,627 Times in 891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Replacing some canned goods, jelly, and bouillon. 2 carts of flats/cases packed tightly to the top. $375. Boy have the prices went up. Got them at Save a Lot.

I am looking a cabinets for my boxed goods. I need more shelves anyways. I would just feel better if they were more out of site, and add one more of a barrier between them and a field mouse. We are in a 3 year old house. I don't know how they get in, but as winter sets in we start hearing the traps snap. Wish I could find the hole! Must be around a pipe coming in, but we checked those and the electrical sleeves too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,627 Times in 891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Bought a large livetrap for a fox that has been getting my chickens... but it will come in handy catching food after TSHTF. Also bought two 5 gallon buckets for my self powered clothes washer from beprepared.com
Where did you find a live trap? If you don't mind me asking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Found about eighteen or so new baby ducklings out in the barn!~ Some black and yellow ones to boot, ... Oh yea, muskovies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daval For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Hiker

I have decided to take up kickboxing because I want to get in shape but find exercise boring. This will be my third class, it's lots of fun. I asked my husband to teach me how to shoot, so we are going to the range tomorrow. I would like to start a raised garden bed this weekend for fall veggies to dehydrate/store. I would like to get some oil lamps and extra oil and wicks, this weekend as well. Maybe I should post after I do this stuff. LOL Keep me accountable guys and gals.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momof4survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Burner

well, as I am winding down a 12 hr day at work, my preps today have been of the studying and researching nature online as well as downloading various military manuals dealing with everything from water survival to cover and concealment. Yesterday I received 250 pds of wheat, 60 pds of oats and 40 pds of kidney beans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sail Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
2REP 4e Compagnie

Today I wondered about the sanity of my recent prep changes. We had a tornado warning and the county warning sirens were sounding for over 30 minutes. I grabbed my pack and got it set in the hallway (the only safe spot in the house as it has no basement or a storm shelter) and then spent nearly 10 minutes trying to herd my friend's cat into its kennel carrier before taking it and myself into cover. Note - when I called her afterwards I informed her that next time the cat is on his own.

What floors me though, is that during the warnings, while trying to wrangle the cat I could see neighbors outside looking up at the sky. With one window open a couple of inches to equalize pressure I could hear the nearest neighbor calling to another that the siren noise was too irritating for her to watch her afternoon soaps. Go figure.

I've been modifying part of my prep plans to try and work with local LE/EM folks to provide security for the locals as well as trying to get some additional food storage for humanitarian use beyond what I already have. With the mind numbing stupidity of so many of these folks though I can't help but wonder why should I bother.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ulfric For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daval View Post
Found about eighteen or so new baby ducklings out in the barn!~ Some black and yellow ones to boot, ... Oh yea, muskovies.
Friends of mine had a bunch and the adults all got killed by some wild animals, so they hatched the eggs and managed to raise 12 of them to a good size. Anyway, I did some research for them as this was a new experience for them. So, if you're interested:
http://duckhobby.com/raisingbabyducks.html
http://duckhobby.com/raisingducks101.html
http://duckhobby.com/housingducks.html
http://duckhobby.com/raisingmuscovyducks.html
http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/ma...muscovies.html
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/muscovy1001.htm
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,249 Times in 545 Posts

I picked up about 10 cans tuna, 4 more cans chili and beans, 20 assort. cans corn, green beans , baked beans etc. 10 Gal gas for my 4x and generators, and on the way home spotted a man on the side of the road selling blue 55 gal drums. No smell in them at all, so bargined him from $20.00 each down to 15.00 each. Am getting them ready for my new raised garden as roof rain collection units. Will have about 6-8 total , all built as one system. Then the other side of the roof, will collect that water into a 210 gal potable water tank through screens first for the house, and then further filtered through filters in the house for cooking and drinking. Will buy ammo next week. Never have enough of that stuff !
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadja For This Useful Post: