Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALICE or MOLLE? Why? btk Urban Survival 123 12-05-2015 07:43 PM
How to attach an ALICE pack to MOLLE Frame. A K.I.S.S. tutorial BigHat DIY - Do It Yourself 2 07-09-2015 08:59 AM
Molle II Pack on Alice Frame Raven Reviews and questions 5 07-19-2014 01:11 PM
Help Finding Retailers - Alice/Molle Hybrid Pack Chess Reviews and questions 5 06-09-2013 05:33 PM
ALICE,ILBE,MOLLE,or civi pack for bob? Matter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 05-31-2012 02:30 AM
Alice or Molle ? hornet1fan Reviews and questions 3 04-21-2012 06:52 PM
Alice vs molle m.brazil916 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 77 05-08-2011 10:54 PM
Molle Pack on Alice Frame cmitchca Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 12-26-2010 08:21 PM
Molle pouches and mods on your molle (capable) pack? Ursus Reviews and questions 3 08-29-2010 01:02 AM
Alice vs. Molle USMC SNIPER Reviews and questions 2 04-29-2010 04:30 PM

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Maxpedition vulture-II pack with two mega rolly polly dump pouches for food storage.....

Then throw a maxpedition jumbo-s type on for more room.....

I can pack around 5000 cubic inches of stuff, its insane the amount of room I have, I seriously cannot fill it all up.....

The quality of maxpedition is unbelievable, indestructable zippers, and webbing and hooks and loops in absolutely everyplace you could ever want them... Go maxpedition and you won't ever be sorry!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus-Ra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 AM

Anyone have any experience with the Army's more recent issued "medium" ruck? Its like the bastard stepchild of MOLLE and ALICE, Got MOLLEs plastic frame (in my mind the only negative) and attach-a-pouch webbing everywhere, but also has external compartments built in like ALICE. It is also similar to ALICE in size, but is less wide and vertically taller..

Havent had much of a chance to hump a combat load in it, as I spend a majority of my time in the air, but I did use it for a 4 day backpacking stint on RnR, during which it remained comfortable and rock solid under about a 40lb load, which is nowhere near its capacity but that was without a waist strap (which is about the same as the one on the MOLLE ruck)

I tried to attach pictures to include with this but the attach feature doesnt seem to be working at least not on my connection. I did however find a listing for a surplus one here

The pictures arent great, but it gives you the idea. It is bigger than it looks in these photos. All in all, at least with the experience Ive had with it, I love it. Id be comfortable with it anything up to 7 days. Above that, probably need the MOLLE or large ALICE, but for something like a BOB this would be ideal IMHO
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM

I just looked up one of your $265.00 Osprey packs. Somewhere in that statement you will find why many of us resort to Military Surplus packs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick173 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris704th View Post
I kinda think it's the *camo* itself that gets the guys to steer this way instead of the functionality and practicality.
Yep, probably!
I know for surety that I don't think of a neon orange or red bag when I think of discrete operations to escape a threatening situation.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,516 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Army's more recent issued "medium" ruck? Its like the bastard stepchild of MOLLE and ALICE, Got MOLLEs plastic frame (in my mind the only negative) and attach-a-pouch webbing everywhere, but also has external compartments built in like ALICE. It is also similar to ALICE in size, but is less wide and vertically taller..
This one?

I like it -- 3000 cubic inches, weighs a bit more than a medium ALICE with frame but rides a whole lot better and has some adjustment built in for torso length. There's a much quoted critique from a major who posted a comment on the PEO website that has some valid points and some invalid ones -- it needs compression straps, not sure why those were omitted. I have not beaten one up (mine in AFG stayed pretty much in the plastic, used a MR 3DAP), nor overloaded one with heavy/dense and weird shaped stuff (i.e. any of the myriad things you need or get required to carry for military ops) to see how the zippers without compression straps taking load off them bear up.

I saw a thread on here or elsewhere where a guy used that frame on a medium ALICE with good results -- I'm kind of intrigued by that as a possible project ruck to play around with.
The Following User Says Thank You to HorseSoldier For This Useful Post: