Boosting Immunity - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mosquito bite immunity? Droopy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 47 07-22-2015 05:31 AM
Pentagon boosting its push for underwater drones Flask General Discussion 3 03-14-2014 12:42 PM
herd immunity Chey's Daddy Health, Fitness and First Aid 38 06-28-2013 03:43 PM
Natural Immunity MidWestDisappearance Health, Fitness and First Aid 25 07-28-2011 02:12 PM
boosting immune system AZSrvr Health, Fitness and First Aid 17 05-04-2011 02:13 PM
TEOTWAKI Entertainment/Morale Boosting Wolfwood Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-21-2011 10:30 PM
Boosting the Immune System SurviveIt Manmade and Natural Disasters 23 12-11-2009 05:56 AM
Immunity? Earthmother Manmade and Natural Disasters 12 08-07-2009 06:25 PM
Walkie-Talkie Range Boosting SgtPepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 05-25-2008 11:12 PM

Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,217 Times in 18,938 Posts

Advertise Here

Honestly, I'm all for any form of genetic or biological warfare on the mosquito.

It is one species this planet could do without.

Yes, I know other insects can transmit disease but they are pikers compared to the numbers of infections that mosquitoes cause.

Mosquito genocide. Let's do it.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,083 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Honestly, I'm all for any form of genetic or biological warfare on the mosquito.

It is one species this planet could do without.

Yes, I know other insects can transmit disease but they are pikers compared to the numbers of infections that mosquitoes cause.

Mosquito genocide. Let's do it.
I'm in. Wanna spray 'em, swat 'em, or fog 'em? I'm ready.

~~~~

As far as the question about different water supplies, since gender doesn't really affect how we adjust to water, I'll address it also. I routinely take water with me on short trips to unknown areas. Some water supplies don't cause a problem, but there are others... I get enough of the new water supply that with my water for most of my consumption I adjust over the course of a few days.

My water is not chlorinated, floridated, or anything else ated. I suspect in that is what I have the most trouble adjusting to. I am simply spoiled to one of the best tasting and cleanest natural water supplies I've ever tasted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 AM
Working on it

Thanked 1,827 Times in 913 Posts

I have a Q a little off topic, but the OP touched on it.

Rain barrels.... would you treat and drink that water? It rolls off the roof and roofing material (although I have a newer shingle roof without asbetos) and it may also contain bird poop. Would any of you treat and drink this water, or just use it for gardening/bathing?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Rain barrels.... would you treat and drink that water? It rolls off the roof and roofing material (although I have a newer shingle roof without asbetos) and it may also contain bird poop. Would any of you treat and drink this water, or just use it for gardening/bathing?
Start a new thread and I'll chime in. This thread isn't the right venue and the answers are lengthy enough for a huge derail.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 63,876 Times in 19,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Zeke did a thread on this not too long ago and there was a spirited discussion that provided a very thorough treatment of the subject.

found it .
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ght=safe+water
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Zeke did a thread on this not too long ago and there was a spirited discussion that provided a very thorough treatment of the subject.

found it .
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ght=safe+water
Oh, I've talked about it plenty of times. I resigned to doing it every month or two.

But if they ask nice it gives me a chance to lay it out so that it will be remembered for a little while.

But that thread doesn't really cover the roof issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 63,876 Times in 19,662 Posts

Sorry, yes, there was another thread somewhere that started with the roof question, I just didn't find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Sorry, yes, there was another thread somewhere that started with the roof question, I just didn't find it.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=407283

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=416494

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 AM

I think it's a great idea. I used to rely on all alternative medicine for healthcare until I got a viral infection that has no cure.... but I do recommend trying this WHEN SHTF. It's no lnger a question of IF when when it happens
Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Drinking only carbonated water from a sealed bottle is the easiest way to avoid problems outside the U.S.Sealed is important-water bottles are routinely refilled with the local water.Don't use ice either-it comes from the same local water source.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,537 Posts

I used to drink untreated water out of creeks when I was a kid. Nobody told me not to and as far as I know I didn't get sick from it. My mother used to not take one bit of care with food preparation and use the same knife that cut raw meat to cut the salad and so on. So I must have one hell of a immunity. Went to India a few years ago and didn't get sick.
Think about this too, Mexicans in Mexico don't get sick from the local water, but tourists do. So you probably have a point. Worst thing that can happen is you'll have to make a doctor visit and get an antibiotic
I have also read recently ( sorry no link) that if you grow up in a super clean environment and are never exposed to germs, your chances of getting some sort of autoimmune disorder go way up, but I am no doctor so not sure that's true

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/d2n-s...and-dirt-germs

there you go

Last edited by sonya1; 03-09-2016 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,221 Posts

I think I can provide some insight into this topic. I travel a lot and often live in other countries for months or a few years at a time. I make a point of drinking local "drinking" water in order to build up local immunity. local immunity means the minor and safe strains of bacteria present in reasonable quantities no longer bother your system. Usually acquiring this immunity has a cost of a couple of days not so good stomach feeling and diarrhea.

However doing this should not be confused with drinking unsafe for human consumption water. The pathogens found there can effect locals as well, and the cost/benefit simply does not work out. In developing countries often the tap water is not safe for drinking, so don't drink it, usually the locals don't either.

There is a reason tea is so popular in a lot of hot third world nations, it is because even the locals boil the water before drinking it.

Regarding streams etc. As I kid I drank from local streams all the time, but I grew up in Canada, the river water was nearly freezing, and we knew where the water came from. What works there does not work in a lot of places. When in doubt, don't chance it. I used to think all moving water was safe, it took a family member who thought the same thing become very ill for me to learn that is simply not true.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGremlin View Post
I think I can provide some insight into this topic. I travel a lot and often live in other countries for months or a few years at a time. I make a point of drinking local "drinking" water in order to build up local immunity. local immunity means the minor and safe strains of bacteria present in reasonable quantities no longer bother your system. Usually acquiring this immunity has a cost of a couple of days not so good stomach feeling and diarrhea.

However doing this should not be confused with drinking unsafe for human consumption water. The pathogens found there can effect locals as well, and the cost/benefit simply does not work out. In developing countries often the tap water is not safe for drinking, so don't drink it, usually the locals don't either.

There is a reason tea is so popular in a lot of hot third world nations, it is because even the locals boil the water before drinking it.

Regarding streams etc. As I kid I drank from local streams all the time, but I grew up in Canada, the river water was nearly freezing, and we knew where the water came from. What works there does not work in a lot of places. When in doubt, don't chance it. I used to think all moving water was safe, it took a family member who thought the same thing become very ill for me to learn that is simply not true.
They key is to stick to bottled water when you arrive and then start asking around if they have a good water treatment plant locally. If your stay is short then just stay with the bottled stuff. If you will be there for an extended stay then take a weekend off at your residence and start drinking from the tap. Make sure you have enough work or entertainment to fill your weekend time and eat bland food with some fiber to it. With luck you should be getting back to normal when the new week starts but it helps to warn those who may need you that you are doing this, because Monday may be iffy.

I'm only talking internationally. US water should be safe. Some rural districts on wells can be chancy but the water itself will typically be all you need to know. If it looks bad then it likely is bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: