Tobacco. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tobacco? SonOfVirginia Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 11-17-2012 05:39 PM
tobacco hillbilly510 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 01-27-2012 07:13 PM
Tobacco wch Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 08-09-2011 01:23 PM
tobacco toughluck Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 06-22-2010 09:51 AM
Tobacco Wombat Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-07-2010 02:43 PM
tobacco resource logrfood Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 03-22-2010 01:24 AM
Tobacco JFHunt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 11-28-2009 10:24 PM
Tobacco Woodmann General Discussion 24 04-02-2009 01:17 PM
New fed tobacco tax awildchipmunk Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 03-01-2009 09:45 PM
Tobacco TexasAntifascist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 05-13-2008 06:36 PM

Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,352 Times in 504 Posts
Default My little two cents worth here...free seeds too

Advertise Here

I haven't posted here in about seven months or so because I was getting tired of so many trolls with hundreds or thousands of posts who couldn't have time for any actual prepping of a dang thing.

I joined howtogrowtobacco.com back then and picked up a lot of information.

I live in western Washington State and yes, you can grow tobacco. I grew a bit two years ago as an experiment. My problem was that I didn't dedicate the space to the plants and due to overcrowding my plants were skimpy BUT I got enough seeds to plant a football field.

I also didn't know anything about locking in the color so I dried mine too green. It had a punch and wasn't all that bad even with that. The tobacco needs to be dried more slowly to begin with till it's the shade of brown you wan then you can speed up the drying from there.

I want to make a couple points here to clear up a couple misconceptions I saw on this thread and then give any of you baccywannabes (which I am one too) one f'n heck of a link at the end of my post that will set you up proper.

You don't need jack $hit of any permits to grow it. Not supposed to send finished product so what determines finished? It needs to be on the stem still to mail it. I need to do more research on knowing exactly what a "hand" is but a new friend met on howtogrowtobacco.com sent me three hands worth of three different kinds that he grew in the eastern part of my state.

It appeared to be, when I unfolded it a decent branch with maybe six or eight leaves. Hard to say.

I wouldn't try to openly sell the stuff anywhere toward being finished product or off the stem but you can sell seeds and you can sell plants. I thought it'd be a hit at a farmer's market maybe.

I made three cans of the best chew I've ever had but went a bit too much on the molasses. That was just yesterday.

The "rustica" that somebody bought the seeds for on this thread. There is a ton of different strains of tobacco and a whole bunch of rustica. Rustica refers to the wild varieties and I believe all the stuff grown commercially is just hybrids of this and that. The stuff I grew was a rustica and the batch I made the chew from was "Rustica Azteca" and the rustica is reported to have more nicotine. I felt like I had just gotten off a merry go round and had to scale back the pinch from then on.

Anyway, now leading to my link but I need to explain things first. I found on the howtogrowtobacco site, a link to a fed site (I can see the paranoia here now) connected to Dept. of Agriculture I think where you can get free tobacco seeds (and any other seeds they have) but they are "officially" sending them for people to do research projects with.

That said, with some of the 3rd grade spelling I see on posts all over this site, when you fill in the box to describe your "research", if it looks like it was written by a kid I don't think you'll get any seeds. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest and honestly am looking for what will grow in our 120-140 inch per year rainforest environment, I mainly mentioned that as well as experimenting with different draining systems. (mainly sand thrown in the bucket).

I got seeds so I requested more to push the envelope mainly because I wanted to have several varieties to try. I got 2 kinds the first try and requested 9 more the second attempt and should be getting those any day.

the link is here

I'm doing this to pay into my karma since I've gotten some good links here before. I will be trying some in my greenhouse but will be battling for ground with my wife who also wants tomatoes. I see a 50-50 split being fair enough. That will work as long as I get to it first. haha.

About the howtogrowtobacco.com site. I found a bunch of helpful self reliant people there (kind of what I was originally looking for here) but none of the snitty-snotty trolling and political sniping crap I found on this site. A really good bunch of people so far.

.............................update............... ..................
On the page of each tobacco variety description you'll find this:

Availability
Material is available for distribution. The normal amount distributed is 1000 seeds.
Request this germplasm

On the real link on the page it will then add that sample to a shopping cart and at the bottom of the shopping card is the form to put your info and then the reason behind your "reserach"

Last edited by boomerscaboose; 01-31-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: to give more info
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerscaboose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
It's funny that you brought this up, just the other day I was looking through google to see if Tabacco or Cotton would grow in Oregon.
I was thinking both will be in demand if things ever get bad enough having another renewable trade item couldn't hurt. After digging around for a while I found that they will grow here, but not that well.
You can probably grow sheep though. Depending on where in Oregon you live, it might be 10x better as well. Wool keeps you warm when it is wet, and parts of Western Oregon are technically rain forest according to my aunt who lives there.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 PM

I used Tennesee chewing tobacco seeds and had very good luck growing it in the ground and in large pots. Start seeds indoors in trays with individual cells in seed starting mix. Just thinly scatter seeds on the mix, do not cover. They need to be misted morning and night and put in a sunny window. They seem easy to transplant when the weather is above 50 degrees at night, as long as they do not get to dry. They will tell you when they are thirsty when the leaves start to wilt.
One large plant was getting to much sun (in a large pot) so I shaded it with a piece of burlap and it was perfect, bloomed late in the summer along with some others planted in the ground. Attractive pink flowers.

You can harvest the lower leaves anytime. A great barter item.

I wanted to add a picture. Is there a way to add an image just from my computer?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,881 Times in 14,185 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Every year I get seeds from our local seed-saver swap. For the past 4 years I got nothing. Then this year, they took off. I got a huge amount of plants. I had to thin them. and thin again. They were huge.