Must haves for a medicinal herb garden? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Herb garden score! Batty Food and water 3 09-25-2014 02:26 PM
My medicinal herb learning and questions LittleMissSunshine Health, Fitness and First Aid 19 09-12-2014 08:41 PM
Guidance To Creating An Herb Garden OldDefense Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 08-01-2014 11:59 AM
plant it and forget it herb garden Conman2U Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 15 06-15-2014 08:51 AM
The Noobs Herb Garden Vectorwoman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 48 06-18-2012 01:37 PM
Spiral Herb Garden Emerald Eyes Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 07-01-2011 12:45 AM
My first herb garden Kenzie's Momma Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-16-2011 08:26 PM
home made indoor green herb garden stevil DIY - Do It Yourself 4 07-24-2010 03:26 AM
Herb Garden ax4jc Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 05-14-2009 05:51 PM
2-Liter Herb Garden pkh42987 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 11-07-2008 01:35 PM

Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,791 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by maia View Post
Is western medicine the same as folklore medicine in the appalacias?

Absolutely not. Western medicine is run by the american medical association, the federal drug administration and the big pharmaceutical companies. If you dont play by their rules you are breaking the law. Its a very unbending world for true care. Sorry doc, not knocking you, just the establishment in general.

Doesnt english docs prescribe herbs? Nope, that would be illegal too.
They absolutely do.
Sixty per cent of doctorsí surgeries in Scotland prescribe homeopathic or herbal remedies, according to a study of nearly two million patients, published in the December issue of the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology

In a nutshell......
http://www.collegeofmedicine.org.uk/...rbal-medicines

More information can be found at Google
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,618 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
They absolutely do.
Sixty per cent of doctorsí surgeries in Scotland prescribe homeopathic or herbal remedies, according to a study of nearly two million patients, published in the December issue of the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology

In a nutshell......
http://www.collegeofmedicine.org.uk/...rbal-medicines

More information can be found at Google
Perhaps there is some confusion over the term 'english'. On this side of the pond they absolutely do not.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,464 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Might check out Backyard Medicine by Julie Bruton-Seal & Matthew Seal and Magic and Medicine of Plants by Reader's Digest.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 AM

I always have a couple of wormwood bushes growing, it is the best anti-parasitic herb that I know of, my chooks and sheep nibble on it from time to time. I make it into a tea a couple of times a year and add it to our dogs food, we are all worm free around here so it does the trick.
Also it was apparently one of the key ingredients of Absinthe in days gone by.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,501 Times in 719 Posts

Russian penicillian -- Aka-- Garlic
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,699 Times in 2,061 Posts

I got a bad infection from a wound,kind of surprised the doc didn't putme on antibiotics. He just had me soak wound in hot Epson salt w a red. Cleared it right up
Old 03-13-2014, 04:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,221 Posts

Not quite what the OP was asking for, but if your preference is traditional medicine have you considered the possibility to make your own penicillin.

As far as I understand it from some guides I read online (not real research by any-means) a while ago (just curious about how it was made), It is something that can be done, and once you have the right type of mold isolated, I think you can keep a "garden" of it going for when it is needed.

Probably a lot more effective an antibiotic than a herb garden could offer.
The Following User Says Thank You to TekGremlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,829 Times in 10,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maia View Post
Is western medicine the same as folklore medicine in the appalacias?

Absolutely not. Western medicine is run by the american medical association, the federal drug administration and the big pharmaceutical companies. If you dont play by their rules you are breaking the law. Its a very unbending world for true care. Sorry doc, not knocking you, just the establishment in general.

Doesnt english docs prescribe herbs? Nope, that would be illegal too.
yeah - not everywhere.

America isn't the only western nation.

Re the OP: has anyone mentioned echinacea? A good all rounder and great preventative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,829 Times in 10,535 Posts

PS: sorry for being a bit of a side-liner but everyone needs to see this. America is actually the worst cared for western nation, and this guy can tell you why in just a couple of minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Prepared

Guys, don't get me wrong, I love my western medicine, even with all its failings. I just like to expand my horizons and learn more about the alternatives. Much of western medicine relies upon technology, and if that technology isn't available, it's nice to be well rounded.

Back to the original design, and enough with the thread jacks...

I will take a look into those couple of texts, thanks! I text written by an MD or DO with an herbalist would be pretty dynamite.
The Following User Says Thank You to EntropyFx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGremlin View Post
Not quite what the OP was asking for, but if your preference is traditional medicine have you considered the possibility to make your own penicillin.

As far as I understand it from some guides I read online (not real research by any-means) a while ago (just curious about how it was made), It is something that can be done, and once you have the right type of mold isolated, I think you can keep a "garden" of it going for when it is needed.

Probably a lot more effective an antibiotic than a herb garden could offer.
Problem with that is resistance. SO very few bugs are susceptible to simple penicillin anymore. Give it 5-10 years after a catastrophic event and I am sure they would be again.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm just getting started!

Pure raw honey to ingestion and on burns or in wounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenda Sue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,293 Posts

I highly recommend Oregano, it is VERY easy to grow, grows very fast, and can be used as an antibiotic. I have it growing all over in between other stuff, it's great, keeps out the weeds, looks great, use it for flavoring and I have it available for future medical use. It makes these lovely round mounds, it's great! Beneficial insects like it yet it deters pests, plant it near any member of the cabbage family and it will deter cabbage moths.

Following link gives more info:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035449_or...otic_herb.html

But the basics are:
"Oregano Oil is an extraordinarily powerful natural anti-biotic. Oregano has been found in a recent study to be significantly better than all of the 18 currently used anti-biotics in the treatment of MRSA staph infections. The strong phenol anti-oxidants destroy pathogenic bacteria, viruses and yeasts."

and

"Oregano oil has been classically used as a disinfectant, an aid for ear, nose, & throat/respiratory infections, candida, and any sort of bacterial or viral conditions. Additionally, it works to suppress inflammatory mediators and cancer cell production. Oregano oil is more potent than the dried herb; however, the dried version still contains many powerful health benefits."

Studies have shown that carvacrol, a phenol anti-oxidant within oregano has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity when applied to food or taken in supplement form."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,246 Times in 8,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
I highly recommend Oregano, it is VERY easy to grow, grows very fast, and can be used as an antibiotic. I have it growing all over in between other stuff, it's great, keeps out the weeds, looks great, use it for flavoring and I have it available for future medical use. It makes these lovely round mounds, it's great! Beneficial insects like it yet it deters pests, plant it near any member of the cabbage family and it will deter cabbage moths.

Following link gives more info:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035449_or...otic_herb.html

But the basics are:
"Oregano Oil is an extraordinarily powerful natural anti-biotic. Oregano has been found in a recent study to be significantly better than all of the 18 currently used anti-biotics in the treatment of MRSA staph infections. The strong phenol anti-oxidants destroy pathogenic bacteria, viruses and yeasts."

and

"Oregano oil has been classically used as a disinfectant, an aid for ear, nose, & throat/respiratory infections, candida, and any sort of bacterial or viral conditions. Additionally, it works to suppress inflammatory mediators and cancer cell production. Oregano oil is more potent than the dried herb; however, the dried version still contains many powerful health benefits."

Studies have shown that carvacrol, a phenol anti-oxidant within oregano has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity when applied to food or taken in supplement form."
I read that oregano will take over. It doesn't over crowd your other plants? I have mine planted in buried coffee cans for control but not crazy about the results.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorwoman View Post
I read that oregano will take over. It doesn't over crowd your other plants? I have mine planted in buried coffee cans for control but not crazy about the results.
Well, I find it easy to move if I don't want it in a particular spot, just because it's in clumps - I just move the clump elsewhere.

For me this is an ideal plant because it fills in the spaces between other stuff and I don't have to weed. It doesn't seem to affect my other plants negatively, and I got a field out back where I am trying to prevent weeds from coming up, so I like to pull out some oregano from an area where I have a lot, pull it into little clumps and plant it in my fruit tree guilds. Then when I want to plant something else, I just pull out the oregano and put it elsewhere. It's better then pulling weeds, I just feel like I'm "harvesting"

I'm reading what I wrote, not sure it makes sense to anyone else, but it works for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,246 Times in 8,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Well, I find it easy to move if I don't want it in a particular spot, just because it's in clumps - I just move the clump elsewhere.

For me this is an ideal plant because it fills in the spaces between other stuff and I don't have to weed. It doesn't seem to affect my other plants negatively, and I got a field out back where I am trying to prevent weeds from coming up, so I like to pull out some oregano from an area where I have a lot, pull it into little clumps and plant it in my fruit tree guilds. Then when I want to plant something else, I just pull out the oregano and put it elsewhere. It's better then pulling weeds, I just feel like I'm "harvesting"

I'm reading what I wrote, not sure it makes sense to anyone else, but it works for me
Thanks. I am going to start doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

Anyone mention Spilanthes, aka Toothache plant? They are extremely easy to grow, I just save the seed every year. They do a good job numbing the inside of the mouth for brief periods of time and the flowers themselves are quite decorative.

http://www.pplantpeddler.com/Images/...he%20Plant.jpg
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,130 Times in 5,681 Posts

No one else said it so I'm saying it ,
Colloidal silver.
I know ,it 's not an herb , but you can make it at home .
A very powerful antibiotic ,both for internal and external uses .
The abuse of any thing has consequences ,so let's stop with the turning blue thing .
I've used it for years and only successes ,and no blue .
Honey is another antibiotic ,though it's due to the Bees processing plant nectar.
Apple cider vinegar , also kills bacteria and is one of the oldest food preservatives in history .
Catsup would not be safe to leave unrefrigerated, except for the vinegar in it.
I am all for growing an herb garden , but from what I understand it's not just having the herb but having the knowledge and equipment to process those herbs into something useful, not to mention the special attention to the soil and environment for the more exotic ones. Of course I'm just getting my feet wet in gardening to begin with ,and the process is a bit overwhelming if your new to it. My success rate with some stuff is nothing to brag about .
On the other hand some things are growing like weeds ,I am having to check the packages of seed, to see that I didn't actually start weeds.
I was reading up on the herbs and the volumes of odd names for each one, and very little information on what they are actually good for, nor how to process them for use.
Like buying a pig in a poke ,
You've got to invest a lot into knowing all the ins and outs of a plant, before you think your just going to grow it, much less use it.
What would be prudent is to have young person or two in your group that has a deep interest in medicine that would take on such a task .
I wish I were younger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Hunter

Arleigh, I understand what you're saying about feeling overwhelmed on the growing of herbs and then having to know which is for what and how to use them. And I am old!

About a year or so ago I was in the same boat and I was looking for a book that I could manage, that would have the info I needed and I found that THE reference for herbal medicine is something called "Bartram's Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine". So I got a copy cheapish from Ebay, and it's been brilliant. I don't have to remember anything, because I can just refer to Bartrams.

I can look up a complaint and find remedies for it, or I can look up a herb and find the uses for it, and it tells you how to prepare them, like for teas or tinctures and the amounts you'll need. It covers just about any plant/herb that you can use medicinally. If it's not in Bartrams, I wouldn't use it. Many herbs have more than one use. And they are actually EASY to grow and sooo rewarding, they smell wonderful, they look nice, they help the other stuff in your garden to grow, and you can even find many of them in the "wild" as weeds, and when you put them in your garden, they actually look brilliant. Once you start, you don't want to stop!

I now have a huuuuuuge variety of herbs, and to be really honest, I can't remember what all of them are good for, but I have Bartrams, so I don't worry about it, I just enjoy them.

I also get lots of compliments on really simple stuff, like lemon balm ice tea, or elderflower cordial, or elderberrry syrup and many other things.

I just love that I have a gigantic medicine chest expanding in my garden.

Here are some EASY things that you can start with

Yarrow - you can probably find this growing wild in your area
here's a picture: http://wildeherb.com/wp-content/uplo...er-cluster.jpg

German Chamomile - is an annual, really nice for tea and has all kinds of medicinal properties - EASY to grow and self seeds

Lemon Balm- you need to have a contained space for this, it will otherwise spread all over, it CAN be controlled though. I have it growing in patches here and there and just hoe it back when I need to reclaim some space. It is WONDERFUL smelling and makes great tea and Ice tea/lemonade

Fennel - EASY to grow, is a perennial and will self seed

Dill - EASY to grow

Borage - an annual, EASY to grow and self seeds, once you plant it, you will always find it returning here and there

Ebay is a good place to get seeds cheaper than the garden centers and larger quantities of seed.

There are many others, but then I WOULD overwhelm you
The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 11:10 AM

I think it is a good idea to have at least one or two elderberry bushes around, because they say it is one of the best immune system boosters out there if used properly. I made a tincture with them for myself.