Thermal Cooker Sale - A great and fuel saving way to cook! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

For Sale
Everything you need for Disaster Preparedness. Only merchants are able to start threads in this section. Follow this link to sign up for your merchants account.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stanley Cook Pot Setup - Need Help with Fuel Bottle Styles2304 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 01-13-2015 06:09 PM
Thermal Cooker, Looking for Recipies akblack10 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 12-21-2013 12:23 PM
Saratoga Jacks 7 liter Thermal Cooker & Pinto Beans Zalam Reviews and questions 2 12-21-2013 11:50 AM
Flat breads: fuel saving survival foods MikeK Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 11-18-2013 04:05 PM
How much cook fuel to store? ChapNelson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 03-23-2011 09:22 PM
Tiger America Thermal Cooker? goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 01-31-2011 10:28 AM
Do you use a solar cooker and what do you cook? coached Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 04-26-2010 03:26 PM
10 ways of saving money by using a slow cooker Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 08-06-2009 01:52 AM
fuel saving devices sayter liften Vehicles & Transportation 34 02-22-2009 03:19 PM
Good fuel-saving pasta HotPrepper Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 12-18-2008 10:55 AM

Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 AM
I love this forum

Default Thermal Cooker Sale - A great and fuel saving way to cook!

Advertise Here

There are many methods of cooking from rocket stoves to butane and the great thing about a thermal cooker is that all these methods can benefit by adding this great piece of cookware!

The benefits of thermal cooking are many. In an emergency, disaster or survival situations, we will end up with a very finite fuel supply and every ounce of fuel you can save by using a method of cooking that uses very little fuel (like a thermal cooker) will be that much longer you'll have fuel to cook and sustain your self and family with. A thermal cooker can also be used for combining food preparation to one time in the morning and then having hot food to eat throughout the day. Also, if you are traveling or on the go, by using a thermal cooker you would be able to get up in the morning, prepare the whole days meals and let them sit in the cooker cooking until lunch or if you had the vacuum cookers, things could still be warm enough to eat 12+ hours later if you don't open the lid.

In a disaster situation, food preparation again could be done for the day all at the same time in the morning and as people come and go they would always have a hot meal ready for them. They could also take food with them in a thermal cooker and it would be hot and ready to eat as needed wherever they are out working.

A great example of the fuel saving benefits of using a retained heat cooker would be cooking dry beans. Many of us have stored dry pinto beans for food storage, yet to cook a pot of beans it takes 3-5 hours with those beans sitting in a pot simmering on a stove burning fuel to get them cooked and ready to eat. Using a thermal cooker takes the fuel consumption down from 3-5 hours to about 30-40 minutes or an 80%-90% savings in fuel use for making that same simple pot of beans.

A thermal cooker works very much like a slow cooker or crock pot and many such recipes are easily adaptable. It's a method or appliance that can be used today for many different reasons. I took a thermal cooker to a scout winter camp out. I put in a pot of stew, brought it up and simmered it for 5 minutes and placed it inside the thermos at about 2PM in the afternoon, loaded it into the truck and headed up the canyon as the snow started to fall. Once arriving at camp I took the cooker out and set it on the cold picnic table and then got the rest of camp setup. About 6PM after dark we finally sat down to eat and my boy and I had a great hot meal (while everyone else ate cold sandwiches they brought with them). After dinner we set out to play snow games and got back to camp at 9PM and the left over stew in the cooker was still warm enough to hit the spot again. Not bad for 6 hours in below freezing temps.

Another option just as good or better is using the thermal cooker for the opposite reason (not to cook but to keep things cold) to keep homemade ice cream frozen even after a long hot 4th of July day with the family, opening it up at night just before fireworks for a nice cool treat.

A thermal cooker can also make short work of turning your stored dehydrated and freeze dried food packages into great meals. A thermal cooker again takes less fuel and even less water to make the same meal as very little water vapor leaves the cooker and escape while cooking. It also keeps the food hotter much longer while people are dipping into the pot to eat what's been prepared.

At these lower temperatures food doesn't over cook even when left in the pot for 10+ hours and a great side benefit to cooking meat is that the long and lower temperatures makes meat just that much more tender which could really help things when only the touch cuts of meats are available.

Like this picture shows, a thermal cooker is simple to use, simply add your recipe to the inner pot and place it on your heat source. Once the contents has been brought to a boil let it simmer for 1 to 25 minutes (depending on the type of food being cooked) and then quickly take it from the stove and place it inside the outer insulated thermal cooking pot and close the lids and leave it to cook. Depending on your recipe let it cook from 40 minutes to 4 hours and then open up the cooker to serve your recipe piping hot!

There are a number of models of thermal cookers from THERMOS brand, Saratoga Jacks to Sunpentown. I refer to them as my Best, Better and Good cooker models. THERMOS makes the best thermal cooker hands down, the stainless steel is thicker with a clad bottom inner pot and the vacuum insulated outer pot keeps things hotter longer than any other brand. Saratoga Jacks is a great cooker too but instead of a vacuum insulated pot they use a foam core inside the outer pot to keep the heat in. They also have a clad bottom inner pot. The Sunpentown uses a foam core as well but no clad bottom inner pot.

Here's a list of the thermal cookers available on GetPreparedStuff.com.

The sale prices won't be good for much longer!

Though here's a coupon for being a Survival Board member for buying a SaratogaJacks thermal cooker.
Use: SBSaratogaJacks
when checking out for a 15% discount.

Last edited by GetPreparedStuff; 02-12-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I love this forum

THERMOS Shuttle Chef, Saratoga Jacks thermal cooker best price sale at www.GetPreparedStuff.com!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

why not get one or more thermos/stanley insulated bottles and leave in them for hours? Add boiling water to the bottle for a little bit before emptying and adding food to "simmer"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I love this forum

Default Thermal Cooking Recipes and Resources

Here are some resources to consider for thermal cooking recipes and information.

Demonstration Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B65B0A21BBC752

Blogs on Thermal Cooking
The thermalcook.com web blog

Mr D's thermal cooking blog.

Thermal Cookware

For reference on thermal cooker recipes and information, here are some links to some old cook books, recipes and information on fireless cooking which is directly applicable for use in a thermal cooker, wonder box or other retained heat cooking methods. You can read them online, download them to a PDF for viewing or even send them to your Kindle. The following are also available in reprinted paperback versions.

The Fireless Cook Book by Margaret Mitchell
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24359...less_cook_book
Reprint of this book for sale at Amazon

The Duplex cook book, containing full instructions for cooking with the Duplex fireless stove
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL78905...plex_cook_book

Meals That Cook Themselves And Cut The Costs
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL75412..._cut_the_costs

Book of Caloric Recipes
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL23760..._stove_recipes

The Fireless Cooker, How to make it, How to use it, What to cook
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL6953828M/High_living

Fireless Cooker Recipes
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL13849...cooker_recipes

The Fireless Cooker
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL78867...ireless_cooker

Superior fireless cookery
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL13842...reless_cookery

Thermatic Fireless Cooker Recipes - A treatise on the management of the Thermatic fireless cooker, together with over 250 carefully selected recipes.
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL13840...lected_recipes

The Winston cook book, planned for a family of four
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24160...family_of_four

Simple Cooking of Wholesome Food for the Farm Home
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL78973..._the_farm_home

Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
why not get one or more thermos/stanley insulated bottles and leave in them for hours? Add boiling water to the bottle for a little bit before emptying and adding food to "simmer"?
A thermos bottle works great however, they are small with the largest bottles only holding close to two quarts of food. That's fine for an individual or two but not too practical for cooking for a whole family.

Thermal cookers are basically super sized thermos bottles with the advantages of having a removable inner pot you can cook in and easily clean, which gives you many more recipe options than just pouring hot water into a thermos. Try cooking bread, a whole chicken or a hearty beef stew for 5 in a thermos bottle.

I have my thermos bottles and they play a part in my preparations but like dutch oven cooking, I'm not going to have just one 14" oven and call it good. There are different sizes and different pot types in thermal cooking that all have their advantages for what needs cooking.

Last edited by GetPreparedStuff; 12-26-2013 at 12:38 AM..
Old 12-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

one could always wrap their pots and such in blankets and other thermal layers to retain heat.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,482 Times in 5,591 Posts

I was trying to figure out a substitute for a crock pot because I live off grid. This may be the answer.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
I was trying to figure out a substitute for a crock pot because I live off grid. This may be the answer.
It works very much like a crock pot the difference being that all the heat is applied at the beginning of the cooking process with a thermal cooker instead of continuously with a slow cooker.

Most crock pot recipes can be adapted for use in a thermal cooker though with a thermal cooker you should never open it up and peek inside or stir the contents or add ingredients during the cooking process. Doing so lets the heat out and defeats the retained heat process that does all the cooking.

If a recipe needs modifying during the cooking time of a thermal cooker, you can remove the inner pot and add whatever is needed but you should bring the contents up to a simmer again before placing the pot back into the thermal cooker. For some recipes that take a long time to cook, this option can also help keep the cooking temperatures up high enough to finish the job.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
one could always wrap their pots and such in blankets and other thermal layers to retain heat.
That is a working alternative and one of the many different retained heat cooking methods.

A thermal cooker however, does not have issues with moisture collecting inside the blankets and layers used in insulating the cooking pot. The thermal cooker is much more compact and portable comparatively as well.

I did a number of tests with a temperature probe to see how well different retained heat cooking methods worked and found that the Thermos vacuum based thermal cookers would keep food hot (or cold) the longest compared to any other method. There were some types of wonder ovens that worked well depending on the type of insulating beads used.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I love this forum

I'm attaching a graph I put together when I tested a number of different retained heat cooking methods from wonder boxes to thermal cookers.

The graphs show the performance each method achieved when a gallon of water was heated to boiling and then placed inside the wonderbox or thermal cooker.

As shown in the graphs, the performance was largely based on the insulation material used to retain the heat. The temperature of the water stayed hot longer with the THERMOS vacuum pot thermal cooker. The different fill materials used in the wonderboxes affected the heat retention ability with the smaller the Styrofoam beads the better.

For reference the Saratoga Jacks model thermal cookers have been tested but are not shown on the graph. If plotted on the graph below their performance would show a bit better than the Shan Pot SP102 5L and would end at about 12:30 mark.

Most of the methods can keep a gallon of water about 175F for about 3-4 hours which is plenty of time to cook many recipes.

And I've found that even leaving a recipe in the cooker for 10 hours or more doesn't adversely affect the taste or texture of the recipe. My recipes never seem to over cook when using a thermal cooker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Cooker & Wonder Box Temperature Performance.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	83547  

Last edited by GetPreparedStuff; 02-13-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM
I love this forum

Don't forget to use the coupon code (SBSaratogaJacks ) when checking out otherwise the discount won't be applied!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 AM
I love this forum

A new thermal cooker cookbook is now available to help utilize this fuel saving cooking method.

Last edited by GetPreparedStuff; 07-15-2015 at 01:51 AM..