SKS instead of Ar-15/AK-47? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Take no prisoners

Thanked 3,118 Times in 562 Posts

Advertise Here

I got a norico paratrooper all stock for 265 on December 16
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,304 Times in 6,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Landin Holdout View Post
I got a norico paratrooper all stock for 265 on December 16
Dang, you win!
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,984 Times in 7,431 Posts

I disagree with changing an SKS into a detachable mag Rifle. I would just use the standard 10 round and stripper clips

If you want an ak buy an AK
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baddogg5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 07:20 AM
BulletMaster

Thanked 1,491 Times in 723 Posts

The standard wooden SKS stock will take the Tapco 20 rd. mags just fine,all that is required is a little sanding with a dremel tool on the inside of the mag well on either side so that it doesn't pinch the mag which can cause feeding issues.

Cosmetically you can't tell it's even been altered just by looking at the stock. I prefer the 10 rd. mag myself but altered the mag well and tested it throughly for SHTF purposes before putting the original 10 rd. fixed mag back in.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM

For the love of God, don't mod an SKS. Leave it stock, get yourself a surplus canvas Chinese Chest rig or Romanian, Russian or Yugo belt pouch and get good with stripper clips, SURPLUS stripper clips.

I've owned about 16-17 SKS's as I collect, and have owned about a dozen AK style rifles. While I would feel comfortable enough using an SKS as my rifle if poop goes flyin, I'll still take my AK. Accurate enough (Minute of man), lighter, a better rotary(>tilting) bolt, a much better FCG, shorter, a bit more ergonomic, and I'm simply just faster reloading a mag.

If you don't think anyone will go through 30 rounds if shtf, you don't know how cruel the world can actually be. It depends on the scenario, and I'd rather have the extra.

All that being said, an SKS could get most jobs done, perhaps all if you learn your rifle and train. I'd be one to load up on spare trigger parts if an SKS was my go to. I've bought SKS's with beautiful triggers and I've bought beater SKS's that had triggers that simply stopped working and needed work. It's not a very great trigger design. You also have the issue of slam fires if you don't disassemble and clean your bolt. A very VERY simple job to do, but many tend to not for some reason. And if you're on your own you may or may not have much time to.

An SKS does have some pros over an AK though. You can go prone without a mag hanging low, if you're smart and leave it stock. Bolt holds open after last shot. Longer barrel and sight radius means a tad more accurate. They are a dream to shoot compared to an Ak, less clanking and easier to stay on target, at least for me. A fixed bayonet can come in handy too, and for now they are still cheaper, and so are clips vs mags. More money for ammo.

My recommendation? Get yourself a WASR for a bit more than an SKS, get yourself a dozen or more surplus metal mags, a few thousand rounds of ammo, a chest rig or mag pouch, and you'll be set.

But, if money is an issue, or you think the SKS is a better fit for you, then don't be discouraged. It is a proven rifle.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,950 Times in 2,417 Posts

This thread was from 4 years ago. I suspect the OP has either bought it or moved on. Lord knows we have enough SKS to bubba or not to bubba on the forum. Let it die and start a new thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 12:46 PM
You ARE what you IS!

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremer03 View Post
I had a crazy idea or maybe a not so crazy idea. Down at my local gun shop there is a used SKS of unknown origins that they are selling for $295.00US. Is it worth picking it up and upgrading it into a Tapco Stock and 20 round clips? Would it make a good alternative to the AK or AR Platform? Or is it more worth my while to just buy a Delton AR-15?
And for the millionth time...personal preference. I have mine....which is totally irrelevant.