Colt 6920 - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bayonet for Colt 6920? Eagle Scout Dan Military Weapons Forum 18 10-01-2015 04:58 PM
Colt 6920 $799 this weekend at CDNN..... MIL-DOT Military Weapons Forum 8 05-02-2015 07:53 PM
Colt 6920 as a first (and prob only) AR? areacode201 Military Weapons Forum 21 03-05-2014 11:17 AM
Got my Colt 6920! Eagle Scout Dan Military Weapons Forum 9 12-16-2013 07:28 PM
Colt 6920 M4 Magpul? Eagle Scout Dan Military Weapons Forum 9 10-31-2013 07:03 PM
Colt LE 6920 sneak17 Rifle Forum 13 10-07-2013 05:57 PM
Colt 6920 $1,125. American Chestnut Firearms General Discussion 4 12-18-2012 05:09 AM
Colt 6920 ??? CMDRSTP Rifle Forum 13 05-16-2012 05:21 PM
Colt 6920 Jed Dawn Military Weapons Forum 24 11-09-2011 09:22 AM
Win a Colt 6920 AR15 techo Military Weapons Forum 0 09-14-2011 09:24 PM

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,228 Times in 7,835 Posts

Advertise Here

My local walmart has a Colt 6920 for $1,147
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,909 Times in 585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP1127 View Post
So.... how is the most important part of an AR, the bolt carrier group, from say a LMT or BCM or (insert brand here) better than a Colt? How about the barrel?
Answer: none. Opinions are like....
Unless you count the NiB coated FA BCG standard on some of the upper tier companies' rifles. And the NiCorr barrels lasting ~15k rounds are worlds better than your standard chrome lined colt barrels. So much so that socom is considering dropping the standard mil spec m4s and going with the new NiCorr barrels.

Colt USED to be the best out there. Not anymore. Colt was the best in the biz in the 80s and 90s. Now new technology out there is producing rifles that push the colt products into the middle tier category.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Fuel Miner

Meh, would rather have an M400 for that price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casebrius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,629 Times in 3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPR View Post
Unless you count the NiB coated FA BCG standard on some of the upper tier companies' rifles. And the NiCorr barrels lasting ~15k rounds are worlds better than your standard chrome lined colt barrels. So much so that socom is considering dropping the standard mil spec m4s and going with the new NiCorr barrels.

Colt USED to be the best out there. Not anymore. Colt was the best in the biz in the 80s and 90s. Now new technology out there is producing rifles that push the colt products into the middle tier category.
I would respond that coatings alone don't make a top tier rifle. I understand the new technolgy coatings having benefits. I've seen complaints about NiB plating bolt carriers losing their coating, etc but yes I get the technology. That said, most people would consider top tier as Colt, LMT,BCM, Larue, Noveske, PSA, Spikes Tactical, etc, etc.

A boutique AR like a carbon fiber Chritiansen would be considered Platinum by internet ratings.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Thanked 32,088 Times in 7,660 Posts

If you don't buy it, would you mind letting me know where you saw it for that price?

Thanks!
El
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
My local walmart has a Colt 6920 for $1,147
I would also be interested in where that is, if you dont mind. Thats not bad, and my kids need a couple more
Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I would respond that coatings alone don't make a top tier rifle. I understand the new technolgy coatings having benefits. I've seen complaints about NiB plating bolt carriers losing their coating, etc but yes I get the technology. That said, most people would consider top tier as Colt, LMT,BCM, Larue, Noveske, PSA, Spikes Tactical, etc, etc.

A boutique AR like a carbon fiber Chritiansen would be considered Platinum by internet ratings.
Meh, I guess I just don't see it that way. My dad thinks along the same lines. I just don't see a Colt AR as anything special anymore. The barrels especially. That's why I give em a mid-tier placement level.

What did it for me was blasting about 8 30-round mags downrange and then being able to hold the BCG with my bare hands. And I have never, ever, had a problem with anything like the NiB plating coming off. EVER. I've never even heard of that until just now.

I'm not saying Colt doesn't make a decent rifle. They do. But its kinda like a Toyota Camry at this point to me. Good in its day, but there is way better stuff now. NiCorr Barrels have all the advantages of an un-chrome lined barrel (accuracy) and none of the problems of Chrome lined barrels (concentricity, plating thickness variation, lifespan extension) .
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,314 Times in 2,469 Posts

Colt AR a my local Walmart for around $1000 yesterday - needless to say, a friend of a friend of a friend went and bought it pretty quickly
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Quote:
Meh, I guess I just don't see it that way. My dad thinks along the same lines. I just don't see a Colt AR as anything special anymore. The barrels especially. That's why I give em a mid-tier placement level.

What did it for me was blasting about 8 30-round mags downrange and then being able to hold the BCG with my bare hands. And I have never, ever, had a problem with anything like the NiB plating coming off. EVER. I've never even heard of that until just now.

I'm not saying Colt doesn't make a decent rifle. They do. But its kinda like a Toyota Camry at this point to me. Good in its day, but there is way better stuff now. NiCorr Barrels have all the advantages of an un-chrome lined barrel (accuracy) and none of the problems of Chrome lined barrels (concentricity, plating thickness variation, lifespan extension) .
Colt barrels lacking? Colt and FN make cold hammer forged barrels, considered as some of the very best AR barrels- machine gun steel....

edit: Here is just one thread on nib BCG's from AR15.com. Seen some on calguns.net aswell. Flaking has happened... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5...chool_me_.html
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Colt barrels lacking? Colt and FN make cold hammer forged barrels, considered as some of the very best AR barrels- machine gun steel....

edit: Here is just one thread on nib BCG's from AR15.com. Seen some on calguns.net aswell. Flaking has happened... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5...chool_me_.html
Cold hammer forging is not NiCorr. Like I said, the avg Colt barrel is chrome lined barrel lasts between 6-10k rounds of useful barrel life. NiCorr is avg. 20k+. Which is why SOCOM is considering replacing their chrome lined with NiCorr for their operators. Their operators actually put rounds downrange at a rate that it makes a difference. For your avg shooter in the modern world, pre-shtf....Chrome lined is fine and dandy as the weapon barrel will probably not be shot that much in the shooter's lifetime to really make a difference. The other drawbacks of chrome lined will not mention due to the minutia of what it affects (Barrel concentricity, accuracy, plating thickness 'uneveness', etc, etc.).

However, this is a survivalist board. As such, it is prudent to think about things beyond what our modern world can provide for. If anything does happen, you can 't just pop online and order another colt barrel from wherever.com. If it is a TEOTWAWKI event, then you may never see another chrome-lined barrel for decades or, depending on the event, maybe centuries. So I'd rather drop a little extra coin and get a barrel and a weapon that I know for a fact my children and grandchildren will be able to pick up and have performance in the exact same manner that I did.

NiB BCGs: Stupid ARFCOM is going to have anything happen show up on their boards. They are so large that they are practically the omnipotent stompers of the gun world. Anything that goes wrong with ANY weapon anywhere in the world, they will know about it and it will be instantly searchable on google with the respective comments from every dipsh*t benchshooter and self-proclaimed gun 'expert' in the known universe. A thread on ARFCOM is, in my mind, not really credible in of itself. If there starts being a FLOOD of reports on all websites about the same issue.........then i'll take notice. Until then, YAWN. I stand by my previous statement.

Edit to add: Read the thread: Looks like all the NiB BCG problems were caused by (as I suspected) cheap companies trying to save a buck, cutting corners, and not getting their thicknesses correct. It is common knowledge in the "gun community" that you pay for quality (law of diminishing returns notwithstanding). Its like trying to condemn all ARs because someone picked up a chinese knockoff and then crying on ARFCOM that the AR platform is worthless because the moron tried to save a few bucks and bought on Ebay from some skooma dealer based outta hong kong.....and now "surprise!" it doesn't work like the CoD-ST6-DevGru-sniper-ninja gun he thought he bought.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Quote:
Cold hammer forging is not NiCorr. Like I said, the avg Colt barrel is chrome lined barrel lasts between 6-10k rounds of useful barrel life. NiCorr is avg. 20k+. Which is why SOCOM is considering replacing their chrome lined with NiCorr for their operators. Their operators actually put rounds downrange at a rate that it makes a difference. For your avg shooter in the modern world, pre-shtf....Chrome lined is fine and dandy as the weapon barrel will probably not be shot that much in the shooter's lifetime to really make a difference. The other drawbacks of chrome lined will not mention due to the minutia of what it affects (Barrel concentricity, accuracy, plating thickness 'uneveness', etc, etc.).

However, this is a survivalist board. As such, it is prudent to think about things beyond what our modern world can provide for. If anything does happen, you can 't just pop online and order another colt barrel from wherever.com. If it is a TEOTWAWKI event, then you may never see another chrome-lined barrel for decades or, depending on the event, maybe centuries. So I'd rather drop a little extra coin and get a barrel and a weapon that I know for a fact my children and grandchildren will be able to pick up and have performance in the exact same manner that I did.

NiB BCGs: Stupid ARFCOM is going to have anything happen show up on their boards. They are so large that they are practically the omnipotent stompers of the gun world. Anything that goes wrong with ANY weapon anywhere in the world, they will know about it and it will be instantly searchable on google with the respective comments from every dipsh*t benchshooter and self-proclaimed gun 'expert' in the known universe. A thread on ARFCOM is, in my mind, not really credible in of itself. If there starts being a FLOOD of reports on all websites about the same issue.........then i'll take notice. Until then, YAWN. I stand by my previous statement.

Edit to add: Read the thread: Looks like all the NiB BCG problems were caused by (as I suspected) cheap companies trying to save a buck, cutting corners, and not getting their thicknesses correct. It is common knowledge in the "gun community" that you pay for quality (law of diminishing returns notwithstanding). Its like trying to condemn all ARs because someone picked up a chinese knockoff and then crying on ARFCOM that the AR platform is worthless because the moron tried to save a few bucks and bought on Ebay from some skooma dealer based outta hong kong.....and now "surprise!" it doesn't work like the CoD-ST6-DevGru-sniper-ninja gun he thought he bought.
I agree, I'm not a fan of the internet sites either but like I said, I have read of some issues of nib bcg's on more than just one forum. How many "real" issues, who knows. You said you had never heard of one, now you have.

As far as your view of barrels, we will disagree. Most people would rightfully call any Colt or FN barrel top tier. They have been real world battle proven for decades now. That is where the rubber meets the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I agree, I'm not a fan of the internet sites either but like I said, I have read of some issues of nib bcg's on more than just one forum. How many "real" issues, who knows. You said you had never heard of one, now you have.

As far as your view of barrels, we will disagree. Most people would rightfully call any Colt or FN barrel top tier. They have been real world battle proven for decades now. That is where the rubber meets the road.
I have 6 rifles from LWRCi and they all run the NiB full auto BCGs with the NiCorr Barrels.....and they have all performed FLAWLESSLY. So that is the extent of my experience with them. Be that as it may, I went from Um Qasr to Baghdad in 2002 with RCT7 and a POS Colt M16A2 w/ its parkerized BCG and standard chrome lined barrel and it did just fine. So my experience with both is there, not saying that you dont...just throwing that out there.

I think the bottom line is the longevity of the respective methods of creating the barrels and BCG. I just personally wanted something a little "better" for a long-term investment.

Colt Barrels are very good, yes I agree. I just think that the new barrels are a little better. If they weren't, like i said before, SOCOM wouldn't be considering dropping the Mil-Spec "colt" barrels and moving in the NiCorr direction.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Always Preparing

Thanked 1,260 Times in 623 Posts

That's what my sister paid for hers. I've seen them go for more, but that was during the biggest part of the panic and I've seen them go for less, but that was before the serious ban talk.