Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Just Got Back From A 2 Week Minimalist Camping Excursion... Kennible Lecter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 01-07-2014 06:49 PM
Minimalist over night vid Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 09-09-2013 02:42 PM
Minimalist Challenge #1 LostCoyote Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 09-28-2012 12:34 PM
Minimalist GHB ArmyVet Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-13-2012 11:46 AM
Minimalist FAK Eagle Scout Dan Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 06-01-2012 07:48 PM
TW's Minimalist Kit ThoughtfulWolf Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 03-28-2012 05:19 PM
How minimalist can you go? Morethnrubies1 Ladies Section 44 02-25-2012 12:03 AM
Minimalist's? BeardedAvenger General Discussion 21 01-30-2012 02:48 PM
Survivalist = Minimalist? Discordish General Discussion 20 08-22-2010 02:59 PM
3 Young College Guys Going Camping, where to start? Svt Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 40 03-21-2010 06:13 AM

Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Unless you are trapping (foot hold, conibear) or can use yo-yo/trot lines/nets you're going to be EITHER fishing or hunting. Neither of which is a guaranteed food source.

Definitely bring some food to start. Nothing is worse than trying to procure food with no energy.

And it can't be said enough, bring a good sleeping mat!

And a good water purifier is always a sound investment imo. I don't like using only chemicals, especially if I'm thirsty.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Make sure to check into the legality of what you plan on doing where you plan on doing it. You DO NOT want to get slapped with a fine from the DNR cops for illegal trapping, fishing, hunting, camp fire, trespassing, etc... You get my point.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,547 Times in 10,480 Posts

My advice is take a basic camping load tent sleeping bag ect. and only use a minimal amount of kit the fact your asking us for advice would indicate you have little camping experience and as such nothing will be more dangerous than you going out with little to nothing and getting cought in a freak storm or something and getting killed because you were not prepared start with a decent load and then work down what you want/need as you gain experience
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
My advice is take a basic camping load tent sleeping bag ect. and only use a minimal amount of kit the fact your asking us for advice would indicate you have little camping experience and as such nothing will be more dangerous than you going out with little to nothing and getting cought in a freak storm or something and getting killed because you were not prepared start with a decent load and then work down what you want/need as you gain experience
I totally agree FarmerJohn, learning to be "prepared" you can easily fall victim. I've camped in many different parks/grounds/areas with different equipment, setups, group sizes and kits. Everyone is talking about sleeping setups here which is very important, get what you think will work and sleep in your backyard, worst case you wake up freezing and go inside. This goes for all your equipment. I often will often hike into the woods, setup camp for a couple hours, practice some skills, then knock it down. My truck might be parked less than a mile away, but still tied knots I will need to know, picked a good spot for my shelter, realized I don't need a few items, I've been carrying. Once I gained confidence in my setup and kit, I've extend my stay and situations I put myself in, over time, I've got a few burns, scars and lost tools along the way, that I'm glad did not happen on the first night of a two week camp. I would not toss a child into the deep end to learn to swim.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,547 Times in 10,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosman View Post
I totally agree FarmerJohn, learning to be "prepared" you can easily fall victim. I've camped in many different parks/grounds/areas with different equipment, setups, group sizes and kits. Everyone is talking about sleeping setups here which is very important, get what you think will work and sleep in your backyard, worst case you wake up freezing and go inside. This goes for all your equipment. I often will often hike into the woods, setup camp for a couple hours, practice some skills, then knock it down. My truck might be parked less than a mile away, but still tied knots I will need to know, picked a good spot for my shelter, realized I don't need a few items, I've been carrying. Once I gained confidence in my setup and kit, I've extend my stay and situations I put myself in, over time, I've got a few burns, scars and lost tools along the way, that I'm glad did not happen on the first night of a two week camp. I would not toss a child into the deep end to learn to swim.
I sometimes camp in places that are tecnichly not where your allowed to in parks but being I am somewhat of a minimalist (i do keep extra stuff in case) I can go places and not leave any trace i am or was there.
that said few years back I was camping at high elevation in the spring and got cought in a real bad hale/sleet storm and I had to set up sshop quickly as well as change cloths after i did and hop in my sleeping bag because it was extremely cold I had to wait it out for several hours before I was able to break it down and go to my car just one example if all i had was a tarp some string and a knife I would have been a dead popsicle from hypothermia

and thats something alot of people don't take into account is that it may be june and happy summertime but weather especially in the mountians can be brutal and unpredictable