Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soon-to-be-civilian ready to be ready (in SW Michigan) Grisocles New Member Introduction 25 03-16-2014 11:16 PM
Be Ready! recon Books, Movies & Stories 1 06-07-2013 10:59 PM
Ready...Set...Go...#2 Dlw2x2 Ladies Section 4 04-20-2013 01:37 PM
Getting ready... Fepony Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 04-14-2013 05:23 PM
Am I ready texasdan26 Firearms General Discussion 28 02-09-2012 07:52 AM
Ready for another war? HOG81 General Discussion 4 02-03-2012 11:06 AM
Are You Ready? Free Preparedness Guide from Ready.gov Pragmatist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 05-19-2011 01:06 PM
www.ready.gov Swampwood Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 04-22-2010 07:54 PM
not ready grizly1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-11-2010 04:59 PM

Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I almost guarantee it

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChimneyman View Post
Most of those that will raid will be those that hve not prepared and hope to pray on others. They will not be the trained para-military groups that most think(even though there may be afew of these groups) The biggest group will be grangbangers who comfort zone will be the cities and larger towns, they will get most of their raiding in by looting stores , robbing businesses and providing protection,the majority of these will kill each other off. For those that are in remote or semi-remote areas they will see little if any of these people and like i said before If they want to approach a single home or small group of homes off the beaten path they aredumber than a box of rocks. In our case the drive is 1/4 mile long well seen from the houses sits on top of hill and surrounded by barbed wire fence and trees all the wayup the hill until you get to large clearing where the dogs roam. IOW it it not the type of situation you would want to go into, it would be much easier to stay in the towns and live off the sheep.
You serious? Barbed wire fence? Well I guess they can't get it that way 1/4 mile driveway you say? I guess raiding your property via the driveway is out of the plan.

You're whole post was based entirely on assumption. What happens when the stores are empty? They will move to what is not empty. If I were to assume, I would assume they would migrate to where the"do it yourselfers" and survivors are and that would be in a rural setting. You think they will all kill eathother off? What makes you assume that? I would suggest they band together to form larger numbers and a more impenetrable force. A larger force will have to raid more to feed their own but being such a large force they will be hard to beat.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Armchair Commando For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,875 Times in 6,589 Posts

Not a bad video but I will tell him the same thing he told us---don't under estimate us!
The Following User Says Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
. You think they will all kill eathother off? What makes you assume that? I would suggest they band together to form larger numbers and a more impenetrable force. A larger force will have to raid more to feed their own but being such a large force they will be hard to beat.
Have you ever dealt with gangs in the city? They fight each other for a city block, they are killing each other now to be the big dog. Once SHTF they will be even more territorial than they are now. As supplies dwindle even further they will begin to fracture and fight within themselves. This is not just my assumption but just look into the history and splintering of the street gangs now. It isn't just Crip against Blood or Latin King. There is just as much Crip on Crip, Blood on Blood, and King on King killing all to control a few block to sell drugs on. They are not the well trained marksmen or tacticians that the video makes them out to be, ergo the large number of stray killings and injured bystanders that result from their battles. They will stick to the areas that they can blend in easily those that get brave enough to venture out of their element will loose that luxury making their presence easily noticed and watched( which is what they do not want).
The Following User Says Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Je suis prest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ View Post
Not true. Last weekend I was discussing this with my Father in-law. I was explaining that I would view anyone as a threat (guilty until proven innocent) if they wandered onto our property. He said that if they made it from the city to where we are, that they would have to be semi intelligent and that they are most likely looking for something better. With just that explanation, he proves vulnerable to attack. He believes that if someone shows up, that they just might want a meal.

I have personally seen a man kill another man over rice.

In my opinion, anyone who wanders up is a threat and may have 50 more people behind them.....ever hear of a scout?

Lots and lots of people will be trying to help others and unfortunately, people may die because of their willingness to help.

I will not help anyone who isn't part of my community. I have told friends that if they show up without a way to help everyone, that they will be turned away. If they decided they wont leave, then they will become fertilizer. I won't jeopardize my family and my homestead for someone who didn't help themselves, but many others would.
Amen, Brother
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM

I have spent the last 7 years planning and setting up for something like this. I feel I do have my family and my butt covered.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM
I almost guarantee it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChimneyman View Post
Have you ever dealt with gangs in the city? They fight each other for a city block, they are killing each other now to be the big dog. Once SHTF they will be even more territorial than they are now. As supplies dwindle even further they will begin to fracture and fight within themselves. This is not just my assumption but just look into the history and splintering of the street gangs now. It isn't just Crip against Blood or Latin King. There is just as much Crip on Crip, Blood on Blood, and King on King killing all to control a few block to sell drugs on. They are not the well trained marksmen or tacticians that the video makes them out to be, ergo the large number of stray killings and injured bystanders that result from their battles. They will stick to the areas that they can blend in easily those that get brave enough to venture out of their element will loose that luxury making their presence easily noticed and watched( which is what they do not want).
You're exactly right. But that's living in these times. After the SHsTF they're not gonna be too worried about controlling a city block to sell drugs on. They'll keep their city block and suck it dry of all it's food, water and goods. So will the surrounding gangs. After a while there will be no city blocks left to keep for themselves, they'll all be rendered useless. IMO, somewhere along the line they will realize that spending resources fighting eachother will never be as effective as combining resources and going out to get what they really need. I know these people aren't experts in tactics but like I said in a previous post, all it takes is one genuine leader to set things straight and get this ball rolling. They are human after all, not animals, when their survival is on the line they'll do what they have to do to survive, and that includes putting a cap on the gang vs. gang warfare to fight for a better cause.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
You're exactly right. But that's living in these times. After the SHsTF they're not gonna be too worried about controlling a city block to sell drugs on. They'll keep their city block and suck it dry of all it's food, water and goods. So will the surrounding gangs. After a while there will be no city blocks left to keep for themselves, they'll all be rendered useless. IMO, somewhere along the line they will realize that spending resources fighting eachother will never be as effective as combining resources and going out to get what they really need. I know these people aren't experts in tactics but like I said in a previous post, all it takes is one genuine leader to set things straight and get this ball rolling. They are human after all, not animals, when their survival is on the line they'll do what they have to do to survive, and that includes putting a cap on the gang vs. gang warfare to fight for a better cause.
If you had to deal with them you would be amazed at how much closer to animal than human most are. I have family in LE and have done volunteer work in the jail and most of these guys do not have the intelligence of my dog nor the desire to obtain it. A smart leader may be able to get them organized but he will always have to watch his back. Some pretty smart leaders started the Gangs but were later killed by those that were just plain ruthless and greedy
Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by can see it happen View Post
What a bunch of BS
The looters are portrayed as tattooed drug addled losers in the beginning then miracle of all miracles they turn into a marine LRRP team armed with night vision and tactics that take years to learn ..And they have discipline!!
WOW Fear mongering BS!!! The premise of the idea was sound..the video is unbelievably retarded. The only way this video could be portrayed as real is if the looters were a rogue military unit..not a bunch of street thugs
I think it was meant to be a possible worst case scenario. Almost all of us will have to deal with predators who are much less organized, equipped and trained. But it is food for thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuginBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I sit on the side that most raiders really are not that well organised.Raw Video: US Ship Under Pirate Attack - YouTube
I wish the video had continued until the ship returned fire. Would a US warship at sea allow anybody to fire on it and not fire back?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Fugitive Recovery Agent

Thanked 1,010 Times in 302 Posts

"I have two guns. One for each of you".. Val as Doc Holiday
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Prepared

Here's a thought...let's assume the thesis is correct, and urban gangs will at least attempt to go raiding in the 'burbs and countryside.

Where will they get transport? Many, many inner-city inhabitants in large cities don't have cars. Even in smaller cities they don't have them - they use public transit.

Okay, let's assume they are able to steal an operable car - they're thugs, they're certainly not above that. Now...how will they keep it fueled? Remember, this is post-SHTF. No gas to be had, for the most part. Whatever was in the tanks at the filling station is long gone - was gone before the collapse. How far do you think they're going to get?

Knowing what I know, I would strongly suggest that a post-SHTF landscape would resemble more along the lines of "Escape From New York" than "The Road Warrior." If you don't have fuel stockpiled, you're going to be on foot or horseback.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,687 Times in 735 Posts
Default Raiders

I believe that any Prepper that has gone so far as to be ready for most situations would be very aware of trouble coming, the movie makes One think, but a serious prepper will never be caught unaware, unless foraging, we will be so aware of our surroundings, and would spot a stranger a mile off, esp as the film depicts, Tats and really scary looking lol, most city ppl have no idea about being unseen in the bush, let alone unheard, they will prey on the weak and the unaware, dangerous very much so, as they will have numbers and no morals, we aren't allowed weapons here, but the thuggies don't live by any Law, safety in numbers
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts

I said it before and I'll ask the same question here. When most people only have food for 3 days to a week. Where is ALL the food coming from that they are living on as they go about looking for more????? In the movies people always find some totally prep hideout. Now we all know totally preped preppers are few and far between. Groups of raiders would not last. Those without guns rarely prep extra food. Those with guns will not give it up without a fight.
Societies collapse will track the lack of food. As long as people have food LEO will still function. By the time its "safe" to raid there will be little to raid for.

Not saying there won't be danger, just it is not likely to come from a large group, but from one or two strangers.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,217 Times in 4,069 Posts

Mmm.... I can't believe I wasted precious moments of my life watching that. I could have been nailing my lips to my toes instead.

Granted this scenario may likely occur in some places, but how many gangs like that could really be successful for long. Once they hit an area and word spread quickly that there was a raider gang in the area, the locals would hunt them down and exterminate them pretty quick.

Especially after they murdered one of the local families who were well liked by the community. Just because you are ruthless, doesn't mean you'll survive.