Blossom End Rot - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of spray for fruit trees...and when do they blossom? 13ella Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 05-25-2015 01:33 PM
Tomato Blossom Drop Getyershells Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 06-02-2012 09:04 AM
I got [email protected]$%$# blossom end rot cranky1950 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 07-20-2009 01:17 PM

Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Blossom End Rot

Advertise Here

I've got little dime and quarter sized tomatoes happening. Put out fifty tomato plants, several different varieties, and I am trying to be proactive about preventing BER this season.

Got a few questions:

1 - Has anyone found a good source of calcium that is easily absorbed by tomatoes?

2 - Anyone ever used Epsom Salts?

3 - I've heard everything from low-fat powdered milk to busting up gypsum from dry wall and mixing it with water. Anyone ever tried anything along those lines that worked?

4 - I've heard that liming in advance helps - but I forgot to do that this year. Also heard that planting with a Tums or Rolaids or egg shells helps ... but I did not do that either.

What are your tomato growing secrets?

I'm looking for something to side dress with.

Oh yeah, I've got a ton of peppers out too and should treat them basically the same as the tomatoes - right?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Prepared

You need a foliar calcium spray. Most garden stores will have one that you mix maybe three tablespoons in a gallon of water and apply it with something like a windex bottle. The stuff sells under different names, usually something like "stop rot" or "no-rot" or some such. The foliar applied stuff works better for me than any of the other remedies. That and a good fungicide spray should put your 'maters in good shape.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,328 Posts

I use lime to provide calcium for the soil. It's extremely cheap and my soil tends to be acidic.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. If your plants are yellow epsom salts may help. I use green sand in my fertrilizer mix and that provides magnesium and potasium.

Some folk here throw their egg shells in the compost heap to help provide calcium, but I've found that they're pretty insoluble though. Gypsum can provide calcium I don't know how it reacts with soil as it's ph neutral and probably not very reactive.

I've never had blossom end rot with peppers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Target Shooter

As I plant each tomato plant, I place a couple of tsp (or a BIG pinch) of Epsom salts in the hole before I set the plant. I then bury the plant as deep as possible, water it really well. The calcium thing works for blossom end rot, you can pick up some at Lowe's, Home Depot, or even Walmart, etc. Spray the plants with it as the tomatoes start to develop. I also use diatomaceous earth around the plants, and especially the peppers, to deter slugs. It is cheap, you don't have to use food grade, though it is cheap. It is great for other things too, like de-worming pets, even people. I bought 50 lbs of it over the internet, it goes a long way. Hope this helps. I have heard of the use of old wallboard, not sure if it works. BTW, the tomatoes LOVE lots of water, will grow large luxurious and bear well if you keep them watered.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,427 Times in 4,947 Posts

If you are experienceing rot or mold try scratching in horticultural corn gluten meal into the soil it will help get rid of fungal diseases on most plants.

If you can't find the corn gluten meal try just regular corn meal.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,324 Times in 692 Posts

All good info. I would add that if you are growing in containers, do not let them dry out completely. Repeated drying out and soaking will also cause blossom end rot.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,739 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I use epsom salts but they aren't effective for blossom end rot. I use gypsum too, but it isn't a good source of calcium to the plant. What it does is replace the sodium bond in clay with calcium instead, making the clay break down. Both are useful in gardens, but neither address blossom end rot.

Our soil tends to be warm here, so if there's enough calcium and not too much nitrogen, it isn't usually a problem. But our soil being clay, tends to bind calcium and gets too wet easily. This can cause it. As for preventing it, at least here, low nitrogen in the soil is helpful. Same with even moisture.

I don't know of a natural way to correct it. You can get calcium sprays from the store that works. If you have recurrant problems with it, I'd try to address it at the soil first. But it might be wise to stock up on the sprays just in case.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,081 Posts

Thanks y'all. Much appreciated. Pretty much what I already knew and what I thought - but thanks for reinforcing it for me ladies and gents. I think I am going to spray with a calcium nitrate solution.