Batteries - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone know how to make batteries, maybe salvage old batteries? tankman1989 DIY - Do It Yourself 6 02-11-2014 11:24 AM
Small Batteries 101 Crash Course (not Solar Batteries) Emerald Eyes General Discussion 8 09-21-2012 03:06 PM
Car batteries that-guy-again Firearms General Discussion 26 08-23-2012 02:42 PM
40% off Promaster XtraPower rechargeable batteries & charger kit (With 4 Batteries) GearHog GearHog 0 05-10-2012 02:00 AM
What to do w/Batteries Tin Gizel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 02-17-2012 02:29 PM
Batteries? We don't need no stinkin' batteries! HiroProX DIY - Do It Yourself 2 04-27-2011 06:47 AM
Batteries sylan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 10-09-2009 07:04 PM
AA Batteries Emery Reviews and questions 32 10-03-2009 04:43 PM
Car batteries and other lead-acid batteries stevegee58 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 08-21-2009 06:24 PM
How many batteries? raglan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 06-01-2009 08:28 AM

Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Batteries

Advertise Here

I was just down doing an inventory of what I have and what I need, and saw that some of my stored batteries are becoming rusty and all in all not pretty So fellow preppers how do you store your batteries??? Thanks

Kay
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Prepared

Mine are all just sitting on a shelf in my basement and I've never had a problem.

Not sure if your problem is moisture related but I would think so since there is rust. Is there anyway they got some water on them at some point?

If its from the air, mine are in a room where I have a dehumidifier set at 50% so I keep things dry in that area which may be why I've never had a problem...

Are they alkaline batteries? Good chance they leaked.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Not a bad idea to store some lithium batteries also. They will last much longer than alkaline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

store them in plastic shoe boxes with those packages of silica beads, they keep the moisture out, also throw some of those packets in your ammo boxes tool boxes and bags to keep tools from rusting from moisture
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,228 Times in 7,835 Posts

If your not going to use them, leave the batteries in the package.

Store in a cool dry location, like in an air tight box with desiccant pack in the box.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM

I store them in the butter drawer in the door of my fridge. I originally stored them there because I had heard that keeping batteries in the fridge extends their life. I later learned that it makes virtually no difference at all. I was going to put them elsewhere but I realized that beneficial or not, it's a pretty darn good and unused stop to store them.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilnad View Post
I store them in the butter drawer in the door of my fridge. I originally stored them there because I had heard that keeping batteries in the fridge extends their life. I later learned that it makes virtually no difference at all. I was going to put them elsewhere but I realized that beneficial or not, it's a pretty darn good and unused stop to store them.
I have a story that might argue against that. When I was a kid I use to listen to a tape player while I rode the bus to school. I remember one time I was listening to it one hot afternoon and the batteries died on me and the tape player stopped working. It was cold out the next morning and I pulled the tape player out of my backpack and tried it again, this time it worked for about half of the trip to school. Later that afternoon it was hot out and the player was dead as a door nail again, but the next morning it was cold once more and the tape player worked just as it had worked the cold morning prior. Something about the cold temperatures either made the batteries work again or it made the tape player run off of less energy.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Prepared

I am a newbie, so my philosophy may seem kind of strange, but the batteries that I put into my devices I get from a shelf of new batteries which I never let get less than half empty. I always have about a year’s worth of batteries on hand that I cycle through.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,219 Times in 4,070 Posts

Alkalines = long term failure. I have Sanyo eneloops for everyday use for everything that's AA powered (I own about 30 flashlights), and energizer lithium AA's for long term storage. The ones I've got should last at least a decade.

I have a few CR123 powered devices that I use rechargables in and also energizer CR123 lithiums for long term storage.

There's a solar charger for the AA's and both my regular chargers plug into the car if need be.

Eneloops are low self discharge and last yonks on one charge if stored. You can charge them and a year later they still have 85% of their original charge (most rechargables are dead in six months). Combine them with a smart charger and you're set for a very long time.