Rosesandtea's 2010 garden - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosesandtea's 2013 Garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 62 10-23-2013 09:23 AM
Rosesandtea's Garden 2012 Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 08-06-2012 10:08 AM
Rosesandtea's 2011 garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 88 12-02-2011 12:22 PM
oktx's Garden 2010 oktx Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 161 12-28-2010 04:49 PM
TheClosetGeek's First Garden - 2010 TheClosetGeek Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 10-26-2010 04:27 AM
Jeff92's 2010 garden jeff92 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 06-15-2010 05:46 PM
Onestep's 2010 garden onestep Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 04-19-2010 07:33 AM
2010 Garden help JUSTSURVIVEBABY Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 03-15-2010 12:19 PM
Rosesandtea's garden June 2009 Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 06-23-2009 07:11 PM
Rosesandtea's garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 04-25-2009 09:29 AM

Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,732 Posts

Advertise Here

Ok bought a house and it has a good patch of garden so next year look out !

Whats the easiest stuff to grow for a beginner....I wonder if theres a gardening for dummies?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Homesteader / Workershare

Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,098 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Roses, I'll be interested to see how your quinoa does. I tried several sowings this year and they just would not germinate for me Which is too bad, I was very excited about trying them.

Your garden is just lovely, and as always I am very jealous of your chickens.
The Following User Says Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,553 Times in 2,304 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
Ok bought a house and it has a good patch of garden so next year look out !

Whats the easiest stuff to grow for a beginner....I wonder if theres a gardening for dummies?
Chef, congratulations on your new home!!

I think it would be best if you checked with people who know the area you live in. Pumpkins and zucchini seem to do well for me, and peppers don't so much, but you know that others have loads of peppers, so perhaps you could talk to people at a garden shop, or check your library which might have books suitable for your zone?

I wish you much success for next year's garden, whatever you plant!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,627 Times in 891 Posts
Awards Showcase

Congratulations!

My favorite garden references that can sometimes be bought for pennies used on line:

High-Yield gardening, Hunt and Bortz < planning and spacing
Garden Problem Solver, Rodale's < Weeds, Pests, disease, and organic solutions

And a newer favorite: The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible, Ed Smith, vegetable gardener, (from Cabot, Vermont; so it has some good ideas for season extenders) Very thourough and well worth the $25 dollars I spent to get it at Lowes. I learned some things, and after 20 years of gardening and reading lots of information, I am still learning from this book. Easy reading, well organized... tons of info in with out weighing you down in bordom. Beautiful color photos and large print. Inspirering. This is one I will be giving for Christmas gifts to my grown children and gardening friends.

Reference of what you need to know from varities to harvest to preservation to storage: Stocking Up III, Carol Hupping. < Be sure to get at least third edition... (a lot has happened in food sience and canning since the second edition was put out.) Canning, freezing, dehydrating, root cellering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

A quick post with no pictures today.

I've learned I need to plant fewer tomato plants, and to take off more side shoots of what I do plant as they are taking over the raised beds!! Some are ripening and that is nice - I think last year hardly any ripened. I will still have many green ones to preserve in some way.

Eggplants have only recently flowered - I'm not sure if I'll get anything from them or not. They're a pretty plant, at any rate, all green and purple.

I've not gotten in all my zucchinis and some have grown to alarming sizes. Most of them I think I will grate and freeze to make chocolate zucchini cake, etc.

My cucumbers have not been prolific but have produced enough to have made several jars of pickles and I hope to make a few more.

Pumpkins are small, and seem to be only one pumpkin per vine. I'm not sure if that is normal or not. I do have one large pumpkin, and that is from a Cheyenne Bush Pumpkin (heirloom type) - it's not huge but is bigger than the others.

We have one miniature watermelon in the greenhouse (I think it is smaller than a tennis ball). The cantelopes don't seem to have made any fruit at all so even though they were in the green houses, they were a bit of a washout. I noticed plenty of little bees in there, so I don't think it was a pollination problem.

I haven't really investigated the mini-poly-tunnel, but I haven't seen any watermelons or cantelopes in it.

I think that these things might be able to grow in a proper green house or large poly tunnel, but our miniature ones just may not provide what they need. Or it could be something else.

Beans have produced a little, but not a whole lot. I think I've heard others mention it hasn't been a good year for beans for them either over here. I think I have once decent sized carrot. Radishes early in the year did well. Lettuce is doing well, and I am planning to cover one raised bed for growing lettuce over the winter. That is the plan, at least.

I've got brussels sprouts that need to find a home outside the green houses. Although, perhaps the more sensible thing is to put them in pots and leave them in the green houses.

I've got a few peppers, but they haven't grown well or ripened well, but some are OK, and I'm sure all will be OK to cook with.

We don't have a lot of strong sun here for the most part, but at least certain things can grow into October before one needs to give up on them, so there is a while yet before I can call things finished.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Not a long post :
Only one melon, and that was tiny:
[IMG][/IMG]

had loads of tomatoes - but have learned that I don't like the variety "costoluto fiorentino" which produced a lot, but not very tasty.

I have loads of green tomatoes now, and will have more because I don't think there is time now for them to ripen. I learned that I need to not plant them so close together. I will make chutneys with the green tomatoes, DV.

I've got several pumpkins, and still several zucchinis on the vines. So I need to make some apple-zucchini chutney too. Hopefully I'll be able to do some canning this week. Have some windfalls to pick up, and so there will be apples to can too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

I went out today and cut some pumpkins that were growing. Most vines only had one pumpkin. I don't know if that is normal. Some are left in order to ripen (I hope they will ripen). I saw some ripe Amish paste tomatoes, and was pleased until I picked them up - they had been on the ground and were being eaten by roly polies, so I threw them to my chickens. I'm hoping that at least some will ripen.

Here are two of the pumpkins, and a marrow I picked a few days ago (the other things I bought from our Harvest Supper):

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Well, sadly I learned that I should have brought in all the Amish paste tomatoes. They all got affected by frost maybe? or something else.

I have some peppers that I think I will go out and get tomorrow. The nights are now close to frost after an Indian summer.

I've got some carrots and parsnips too. I might leave those though as you can take those up after frost.

A few more pumpkins and zucchinis, and I think that is about it!

I want to put a cover over one of the beds, and do lettuce.

All in all, I've had some successes, but some failures. But better to have those failures now, than when every plant counts, yes?

Thanks for reading, maybe I'll make another post or two this year, but things have definitely wound down.