Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,106 Times in 3,318 Posts
Default Teeth Deep Cleaning - Root Scaling/Planing

Advertise Here

In a couple of weeks I am going for the first of two appointments for a scaling and planing deep cleaning of my teeth.

I don't have any doubts that I need this cleaning. I was just wondering if any of our forum members have had this done? I know they numb you up, but does it hurt during the procedure? Is there much pain and for how long after ward?? Any problems during or after the procedure???

Thanks in advance for any input!
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 PM

I’ve had it done twice. First time I was younger and the pain wasn’t great and didn’t last long. Two years ago, different dentist, and I’m 20 years older and I had pain for 2 months. Not unbearable but very unpleasant. And it was my entire mouth that hurt. I take antibiotics before dental work because I have joint replacements so I know I didn't have an infection. It was just swelling and irritated gum tissue. Hopefully you have a better experience. Here’s hoping it goes well for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,716 Times in 7,847 Posts

Yes, I have had it done about 20 years ago. He numbed me. When it wore off I was in excruciating pain for quite some time. It was almost as bad as having my wisdom teeth done.

Get a lot of soft foods, protein shakes and such. Stock up on painkillers, ibuprofen works.

There was a lot of pressure during the work but no actual pain. I am a bleeder so I could taste the blood in my mouth, combined with the pressure. Not one of my favorite memories. But I got over it.

My doctor did not do the whole mouth at once, I believe he did quarters, upper left, upper right, etc. My doctor trimmed the gums so that was also a factor. Bad gums run in my family.

I have never had it done again and my current dentist understands people on a budget and has not suggested it, even for my "what toothbrush" husband.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,164 Times in 15,013 Posts

I had it done 20+ years ago. Hurt like heck after the Novocaine wore off and then it hurt for a few weeks after. However, looking back, I would never get it done. It wasn't worth it and now I have full dentures. I think that procedure is a crock of ****.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 04:51 AM

It definitely hurts, I have had it done multiple times. The scary thing about it is getting infections.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evo8904 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,474 Posts

I've had it done and it depends on who is doing it. Expect to some bleeding for a couple days and to be sensitive to hot/cold for a few days or longer just depending on how aggressive they are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,812 Times in 901 Posts

I had it done recently and with a modern dentist you shouldn't need more than a topical. I also had one 20+ years ago and needed some serious numbing and had pain for days afterwards.

Now they use ultrasonics and water to remove the tartar. Much better than the old way of a metal pick in the gums.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:07 AM

Best to get your teeth cleaned on a regular basis to avoid this sort of major intervention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 01:19 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,057 Times in 19,711 Posts

They use some sort of high frequency water blaster when I get mine cleaned.
No pain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 06:27 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,693 Times in 790 Posts

I went in for a cleaning and the dentist said that I didn't need it. He asked me beforehand to bring in my toothbrush and toothpaste. I use the stiffest brush I can find, and use salt, baking soda, and peroxide for toothpaste. I hadn't had a cleaning done in twenty years, but the stiff brush and mixture kept the plaque off. Also no cavities, partly because I don't eat sugary foods.
He did a fluoride treatment but that was it.
At first your gums will bleed a little because of the abrasiveness of the salt, but after a week or so you'll get used to it.
Old Today, 01:00 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImbriD View Post
I had it done recently and with a modern dentist you shouldn't need more than a topical. I also had one 20+ years ago and needed some serious numbing and had pain for days afterwards.

Now they use ultrasonics and water to remove the tartar. Much better than the old way of a metal pick in the gums.
+1. I had it done a couple years ago due to some gum pockets that were deeper than should have been. I was a little sore after the topical wore off, but no big deal. After that procedure and trying to be good about flossing, the pockets that were "concerning" now measure in their "very good/good" category.

Buy yourself a sonic toothbrush (I use a Sonicare) and floss regularly.