How many battle rifles are enough? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,289 Times in 3,622 Posts

Advertise Here

Like the old adage...one is none, two is one. Having a spare is advantageous when one is hedging against the unknown variables they may encounter.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Learning

Thanked 6,559 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
Why not keep the 551A1?
I've never shot it and I only have 11 mags...I think I would like to use those funds on something else
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,484 Times in 4,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Like the old adage...one is none, two is one. Having a spare is advantageous when one is hedging against the unknown variables they may encounter.
The fastest way to repair a rifle is to grab a new one out of the safe Honestly, every time I take a class, I bring a spare rifle as well as some repair parts. During one class a guy's AR seized up. His buffer tube retaining ring was loose, back out just enough to have the buffer retainer pin to cause the lock up. All it did was bend up the retainer pin spring which was a quick fix and he was back in operation after a couple minutes. Crap happens and reinforces why you do your firearm PCC/PCIs routinely and to have both a back up rifle nearby if possible and/or a few field repair parts...

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,074 Times in 1,931 Posts

I will reiterate
Buy now
Uppers, lowers, parts, mags
I wish I had the money, but I would have a fleet of SCARS
Nothing else is even close
Dare to dream
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,286 Times in 18,508 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
If you have the $$$
There is no upper limit
Great trade value
Probably no better item to stack deep
My problem with having too many is that if I'm overrun by the enemy (whoever that might be - gang members - Chinese soldiers - Democrats) that I would be arming them with all of my extra weapons. I do love guns and, if I had a really safe and secure place to keep them, then I'd have lots. But if I can't keep them protected and under control, then I'd prefer to have just what I need to protect myself. If it looks like I'm going to lose the battle, I disable the gun by busting it or bending the barrel before I die.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,916 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
My problem with having too many is that if I'm overrun by the enemy (whoever that might be - gang members - Chinese soldiers - Democrats) that I would be arming them with all of my extra weapons. I do love guns and, if I had a really safe and secure place to keep them, then I'd have lots. But if I can't keep them protected and under control, then I'd prefer to have just what I need to protect myself. If it looks like I'm going to lose the battle, I disable the gun by busting it or bending the barrel before I die.
Wait, your going to spend time trying to bend barrels amidst attempting to defend yourself?

Wouldn’t thermite, hypothetically, be a better use of that resource (time), and be far more affective?
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Survivor

I'd just strip out the guts and take them with...If it can't go bang it becomes a club. I do exactly that when I know I'm going to be away for a substantial period of time. I look at it this way. If they don't work, nobody gets shot with them and the thief or his fence will have to get them repaired, which ups the chance they'll be caught, because I will report them as stolen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Krieg Hundchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-em View Post
ummm if you are involved in a shooting they are not going to let you go home and get more guns until you are adjudicated either.
You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defense shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.[/QUOTE]

And how long do you suppose it will take the DA to decide if it was justified/SD? and what do you supposed is gonna happen in that period of uncertainty? You think that are gonna say you killed someone so your either a murderer of its SD thats 2 possible outcomes so 50/50. do you think a reasonable prudent person is going to just let you willy nilly go home to the rest of your firearms? or do you think they are going to either keep you in custody or restrict your access to those firearms until they are more certain? There are any number of facts or circumstances to be considered beyond you saying it was self defense.[/QUOTE]

You’d best check the statute concerning this matter in the state you live in. In some states an arrest cannot be made in self defense shootings unless there is PC a crime has been committed by the shooter. LE has to specifically have PC that a shoot was NOT legit in my state in order to make an arrest. The most they can do is collect evidence and statements. This is true for many others.

So yes, a prosecutor has no choice but let a person go home and rearm after a SD shooting. No, they cannot restrict access to firearms. What kind of nonsense have you been fed?????

Maybe you live in CA, NJ, NY or one of the other communist controlled states or cities??
The Following User Says Thank You to SIG-em For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,286 Times in 18,508 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Wait, your going to spend time trying to bend barrels amidst attempting to defend yourself?

Wouldn’t thermite, hypothetically, be a better use of that resource (time), and be far more affective?
Whatever it might take to keep the enemy from gaining access to my rifle. I could carry an oxy/acetylene torch with me but that probably wouldn't be very practical.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG-em View Post
You are incorrect if you assume this is the case for all, or even most jurisdictions. Maybe if you live in Chicago. If you life in a free, stand your ground case you will be fine if you are involved in a good self defense shoot. You will lose your weapon for s while, again, you need another for when you get home.
And how long do you suppose it will take the DA to decide if it was justified/SD? and what do you supposed is gonna happen in that period of uncertainty? You think that are gonna say you killed someone so your either a murderer of its SD thats 2 possible outcomes so 50/50. do you think a reasonable prudent person is going to just let you willy nilly go home to the rest of your firearms? or do you think they are going to either keep you in custody or restrict your access to those firearms until they are more certain? There are any number of facts or circumstances to be considered beyond you saying it was self defense.[/QUOTE]

You’d best check the statute concerning this matter in the state you live in. In some states an arrest cannot be made in self defense shootings unless there is PC a crime has been committed by the shooter. LE has to specifically have PC that a shoot was NOT legit in my state in order to make an arrest. The most they can do is collect evidence and statements. This is true for many others.

So yes, a prosecutor has no choice but let a person go home and rearm after a SD shooting. No, they cannot restrict access to firearms. What kind of nonsense have you been fed?????

Maybe you live in CA, NJ, NY or one of the other communist controlled states or cities??[/QUOTE]

We release guys after a few hours after SD shootings all the time. And many of them go home to their other guns. The only ones who don't are the ones who don't own other guns. It generally doesn't take long for folks to figure out if a shoot is reasonable, then run it in front of the Prosecutor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Krieg Hundchen

?[/QUOTE]

We release guys after a few hours after SD shootings all the time. And many of them go home to their other guns. The only ones who don't are the ones who don't own other guns. It generally doesn't take long for folks to figure out if a shoot is reasonable, then run it in front of the Prosecutor.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right.

Which is the reason a person should have more than one weapon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIG-em For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,710 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
I've never shot it and I only have 11 mags...I think I would like to use those funds on something else
Up to you, but that's a good rifle and 11 magazines is enough for a basic combat load and then some
Old 08-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,745 Times in 770 Posts

I'm actually thinking of selling my M1A and my 3030 and going with a scoped 308 bolt gun in case I have to hunt.
I could make a great Christmas for the the old lady��

I got 2 minis if the woman and I need to defend the home, that should suffice for out here.
I expect the desert will kill most of em before they get to me.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:50 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 15,687 Times in 3,656 Posts

I probably have a small collection compared to many here. I buy to serve a purpose because I have very limited resources as I live on VA disability.

1 Home defense gun (.300 BO SBR).
1 AR pistol (so I can travel without federal paperwork).
1 recce type AR.
1 battle rifle (.308 AR) All ARs are outfitted pretty much the same so it is easy to go from one to the other.
1 bolt gun, a Brazilian Mauser scout rifle.
1 shot gun, a 12 gauge Mossberg 500.
1 .22LR, a 10/22.

I have 3 lever guns. A 30-30, because I'm an American, a 45-70, in case I need to kill a T-rex, or a vehicle, and a .44 mag that is outfitted as a defensive gun with a red dot in a forward mount like a scout rifle. This is probably my favorite long gun of all. I can take it to places that are not AR friendly as well if I'm traveling.

I have 2 handguns. A 1911 for those pesky 10 round mag ban areas, and a Glock 17 for my home state, and most free states.

1 air gun.

If the S hits TF, I can always pass these out amongst the family...

Yes, I want more, but I don't think I really need any more... I do need to stock up on ammo for the 7mm Mauser and the 45-70.

There's my answer. 4 AR type rifles. (plus a variety of others) Each AR is different, and has a reason, but each can be used by a member of the family... me, the wife, my son (Oops, forgot he has his own) and daughter.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
I'm actually thinking of selling my M1A and my 3030 and going with a scoped 308 bolt gun in case I have to hunt.
I could make a great Christmas for the the old lady��

I got 2 minis if the woman and I need to defend the home, that should suffice for out here.
I expect the desert will kill most of em before they get here.

The animals you shoot to put food on the table won't know the difference between a 308 bullet shot out of an M1A or the same bullet shot out of 308 bolt action.

The desert might kill most of them, then again it might not. I like the mini 14 they are durable and reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Not a Commie

But I can sell that NM for maybe 1800. Savage has new 10s with a scope for 450.
Those things shoot and they're light.

Plus I could sell 10 cases of hirtenberger 762 and 20 mags for a ridiculous price.
I paid $.11 for the 7.62 a while ago.

profit
Old 08-28-2019, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,773 Times in 18,782 Posts

Why sell the ammo when your getting another .308?

I don't sell ammo.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:07 PM
Not a Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Why sell the ammo when your getting another .308?

I don't sell ammo.
Don't need 10,000 rounds to kill some deer

Surplus FMJ isn't the best elk round. I can reload 308 pretty easy
Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,773 Times in 18,782 Posts

You may come back to it.

Ann d you talked about using it for other purposes...
Old 08-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,043 Times in 3,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?
My dedicated hunting rifle is a semi-auto and ended up replacing around a dozen others that were dedicated hunting rifles via single shot, bolt action, lever action, as well as other semiautos since it built in 2003.
The same rifle replaced others in the roles pertaining to security too boot.

Once it passed the documented 25000 rd mark, I had 2 others built along the same specifications, and already had another that was also built along similar lines.

How many is enough? In my case, I don't need to arm anyone else within my group. ( They all have thier own rifles and train / hunt with them as often as I do or rather close at the least)
If we are not counting cached boom sticks here, then my personal minimum = 3 very good quality rifles of same type.

Im not a collector either, so have no need or desire to horde items I don't need. Various firearms are bought/ built for the purpose of direct head to head comparisons to the current pick of the litter. If they prove to meet our requirements to a more solid degree, then they end up replacing the current selected weapons. If they don't make the cut, they get liquidated. ( In this case, various types of the FAL, G3, and AR10 versions ended up on the choppin block, as did a few others such as the SCAR17.) None of them proved to be any better overall than the M14s we use now.

I firmly believe that individuals would better off if they focus thier weapons training towards a very select few firearms instead of a whole laundry list of different versions. Familiarization via different types is great, but that shouldn't rat up that much in terms of train time, and isn't a good enough reason to hold onto a firearm for safe queen status imo.

1 = the " beater" rifle that is used for evaluation, year around hunting, culling operations, feral hog erraddication, and training too include a few civilian run courses per year.

Number 2 = The direct back up to the first. It doesn't see that much use ( preliminaries aside) ..... compared to the first simply because the number 1 rifle hasn't had any big issues as yet.

Number 3 = The direct support rifle and is not kept in same location as the other 2.

Each has its own set of mags with supporting LBE, field maint equipment inside thier buttstocks, optics, emergency spare parts kit ( 30 level), and of course ammo.

Note: AK pistol has replaced a few large frame handguns, pistol caliber carbines, and shotguns via the role of HD/ PDW.

Note: I have no use for the AR types in any form or caliber. ....Especially 5.56mm.( Not even making it to the top 5)
1 exception in 6.5 Creedmore for a very small/ speacilized role.

Note: The only bolt action rifle I still have is a Ruger GSR stainless steel 18.5in bbl. ......and there is 0 difference between shooting critters with this rifle or any of the M14 types via 18.5 in tubes either. ( The GSR is sometimes used for sport hunting here).

Note: The vast majority of firearms related funds go towards ammunition with me and my clan, and we stock 2 cartridges via cf rifle. 7.62x51mm is primary while 7.62x39mm = secondary.

Pics below:

1. Shows the rifle with set of LBE that typically supports said rifle with ten loaded 20rd CMI SS M14 mags.
2. Same rifle with the " backup "
3. Same rifle next to AK pistol.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	291078   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180327_161954.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.4 KB